Cleaning the oil cooler, radiator and screen...

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
So I notice that when I am bushhogging the pastures the dust it creates plus cutting the vegetation with the "fluffballs" on top can lead to a covered/clogged screen that is located in front of the radiator and behind the oil cooler. This leads to the temperature rise to just below the red on the temperature gauge on my L3200. Consequently, I periodically stop, pull the screen and clean it (usually with a water hose but occasionally with a blast of air). I also try to blow from the engine side through the radiator to try to blow out any dirt, etc. Unfortunately, the fan and upper hoses get in the way so I can't get a thorough clean. I can't even get behind the oil cooler at all because there is not enough clearance between it and the radiator. The best I can do is when I have the screen out is to try to blow/rinse from each side downward to try to dislodge any material but this seems unsatisfactory as I don't get a thorough clean through the back of the screens. I do notice that after I reinstall the "cleaned screen" my modest attempts at cleaning the screen does result in the temperature dropping to the midpoint of the gauge and stays there until the clogging occurs again.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to EASILY clean the radiator and oil cooler fins?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
This leads to the temperature rise to just below the red on the temperature gauge on my L3200.

The result will be a permanent overheat due to the cylinder head cracking between ports. As the engine heats, everything is moving - cylinder head, gasket, engine block. By running close to the redline, the movement is excessive. I constantly scan the temperature gauge. If it gets close to half-way, I remove load and keep the machine running for the cooling fan.

I use an elbowed wand connected to an air compressor. I find that a water wash on the tractor tends to mud up between the fins. Sometimes thirty minutes under load is all I get before needing to blow out the fins. Yes, I have a screen. It's just the nature of the plants on my property and the heat of summers.

The solution for me is to remove the radiator once a year and give it a good cleaning. Brazing rod (flat) is just the right size to fit between the fins. This is so essential that I bought another radiator to quick swap. Then I can clean the removed radiator at a convenient time. I have not read of anyone on this forum needing to do this, but it is something I have to do in my circumstance.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
When I was cutting two small fields (2 and 5 acres) of fluffy weeds, I stopped mowing as soon as my temp gauge rose one bar (it always sits at 3 bars in the heat or the cold, after warm up). I used a leaf blower to clear out all of the debris on the engine cowling and inside (radiator, engine and etc.). Plus, I also blew the mower deck and three point area clear.

I had to stop about every 15-20 minutes, but my temp gauge always immediately returned to 3 bars.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I put a cheap air conditioner filter in front of the screen to help keep it clean and then shake the filter off when needed.

There is a filter that is blue plastic without a frame around it that works great. Also one that is fairly thin with a cardboard frame can be forced into the area but not as easily as the frameless

Filtrete brand if I recall but didn’t see them on the website but I purchased them at Home Depot or Lowe’s

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I use a radiator genie for cleaning, they work with air and/or water.
On my L3800 I had to pull the radiator out to clean it one tine, it appeared to be clean but wasn’t and the temp gauge would get about 1/2 to 3/4. On my machine 1/4 on the gauge up normal to temp.

But to prevent that I sewed/tied one layer of window screen to the front of the factory screen, I might have to stop to clean it twice as often but the debris never makes to into the radiator.