B2601/BH70 Swing Arc

BH70 vs. BH77

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Idahomestead

May 22, 2022
Idaho
Hello everyone!

I have been stalking to forums for awhile now and have read everything I can find on this topic but cannot get a satisfactory answer. First the background:

I have a 3.5 acre semi wooded property in Idaho that needs some work. I am going to be doing some light landscaping, driveway maintenance, small rock removal, stump removal, leveling of uneven ground, trenching for French drains and electrical lines, and tilling. My snow and grass cutting are covered through a riding mower with snowblower. I’ve decided to buy a tractor/backhoe rather than renting. I had hoped a BX23S would suffice but it seems the general consensus is that I should look at the B series. I am working with my dealer about a B2601 with BH70 and they should have one in the next few weeks. However, I have realized that the swing arc on the BH70 is only 140 degrees whereas the swing arc on the BH77 is the full 180.

Here’s my question:
Does the added capability from the BH77 swing arc justify the extra $3,500 price that it would be to jump to the LX2610/BH77 combo? If so why? I am very new to equipment so I appreciate your expertise. The B2601 is already pretty much at the top of my budget when implements are included but I also don’t want to make an expensive mistake. The wait time for the LX is probably 4-6 months.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
My experience has been: if you want more for your money, then buy used. Sure, I plan to have a tractor forever, so buying new made sense...but I just couldn't afford what I wanted when new. But I was able to find a B2650 with BH77, grapple, and pallet forks for $22k on Facebook marketplace, and I don't regret it at all. It does have some dings and dents in it that I wish I'd put there instead of the previous owner...but so far so good.

Otherwise, since used options may not be nearly as numerous in Idaho as they were around PA (I had to go to Delware to get it), then I'd recommend getting exactly what you think you want. When you pay that much for something, don't have immediate misgivings.

My 2 cents (or 1.25 cents if buying used)

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
$3500 might seem like a lot, but having a more capable tractor and attachments might be worth it. I did the B2601/BH70 thing and it has been a bit of a disappointment, the limited swing is a bother every time I use the backhoe and I am always at the limit of its capabilities. Besides the performance, which I can't complain about because the specifications were readily available, the backhoe has been a nightmare with quality issues.

Reactions: 1 user

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
I had a bh65 on a b2620. It had 1 swing cylinder. You couldn’t sweep spoils into trench/hole. Does the bh70 have 1 or 2 swing cylinders?

The bh77 has 2 swing cylinders. Much better setup.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I had a bh65 on a b2620. It had 1 swing cylinder. You couldn’t sweep spoils into trench/hole. Does the bh70 have 1 or 2 swing cylinders?

The bh77 has 2 swing cylinders. Much better setup.
Just 1 on the BH70, and it is faster in one direction.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
As for digging Fenech drains, electrical trenches, etc. you do NOT need more 'arc'. I just did 50' well trench from new casing to house with my BX23S, it was easy. Have dug 400+ French drain, again, no problem. Unless you're going down 6-7' maybe more arc would be nice but them 7' deep is only 3.5' earth on both sides of the trench. I've got just over 750 hrs on my '4 year old', haven't truly needed more arc.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not really sure what is better for your application, but if it were me I’d want to know how deep the soil is before I hit rock before I buy a BH. Does orange still make a B26? Is that a consideration if you don’t plan to use the PTO much? If you plan to finance with 0% I would not worry about the price right now. I don’t think you have to worry about deflation for a while. Seems to me like any promissary note you sign today at 0% will make you look like a genius next month. Anything you pay off with devalued dollars will not matter so much.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That was one of the reasons that I ruled out the B'01 series when I replaced my much beloved BX23. The BH77 is a better hoe for sure.

Since your grass duties are covered (not needing a mid PTO) have you priced out the SU model of the B2650/LX2610? I'm not sure just how much money you'd save but I'm thinking it would split that $3,500 price difference in half?

..and yes, I did submit my vote.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
Does orange still make a B26?
No, they don't. It's essentially the LX2610, as far as spec goes. Good thing too, because the model naming was terribly confusing. The B26 is more than a "standard" B, but less than an L. Hence the LX.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I am at this point as well right now as I am considering finally replacing my 37 year old B7200 hst. I have been researching the LX series and am having serious concerns about them. On line I find folks complaining about pedal response, hydro noise and slow speed on travel. Even my dealer seems to think that the B series is a better choice. I would also like a cab but the only choice with the B is aftermarket. I have a 4000 foot driveway to clear snow from and am tired of freezing.
My backhoe has a 180 degree swing which I use all the time so that would also be an issue with me. When digging out a ditch on an angle the 140 deg swing would definitely be problematic. I do like the fact that the BH70 uses the tractor seat in reverse though.
Seems that I might have to go with the B2601, aftermarket cab and retrofit my old BH to the B2601 back hoe subframe.
I have about 2200 hours on my B7200 and still operates fine but parts are becoming harder to find and costly.
I could certainly use a much larger tractor on my 80 acres (mostly rented out) but I also have to occasionally transport it and the LX is probably the largest I could go. The new B series are a bit larger than the B7200.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I bought the backhoe for my B2620 and quickly learned one thing.......I will never buy another one that requires you to convert your tractor seat. My seat now SUCKS. And the locking system is pathetic.
I'm now perched way up high and no suspension.

So my vote would be, if you want a backhoe, go up to the LX series to get the hoe that has it's own seat.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
No, they don't. It's essentially the LX2610, as far as spec goes. Good thing too, because the model naming was terribly confusing. The B26 is more than a "standard" B, but less than an L. Hence the LX.
Kubota still makes the B26. It's a dedicated TLB not a compact tractor.

If you get a LX (or B'50) series with a cab, the backhoe will have the second fixed seat. The fixed seat option can be added to any BH77 if wanted. There are two additional brackets needed for the cradle and obviously the fixed seat. You'd need the shorter backhoe controls as well.

Last edited:

Idahomestead

May 22, 2022
Idaho
Wow thanks for all the replies! I really liked the LX/BH77 that I tested at the dealer. I’m just having trouble dealing with the cost of all of this. Even the BX23S is a lot of money and so the incremental price increases are challenging to accept. Maybe I’m over researching. The trouble is that there has to be a point that the just-a-little-more isn’t worth it.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I am extremely satisfied with my B2650HSDC with the BH77 backhoe. The only time it has failed me was when I dug out a stump that was just to big and heavy to get out of the hole. My solution was to just dig a deeper hole and bury the stump. Problem solved. It was a big investment at the time, and some would say to much to pay for a back hoe, but I find as many times as I need one, renting a mini ex, would be to much of an inconvenience.

I just got done with digging a trench for my shop propane tank. I had to move the tank because it was getting buried by the snow shedding off the roof. The 180* swing was nice as I didn’t have the room to just dig away from the garage in a straight line. Just swung towards the shop, dug as much as I could repositioned once, and dug the rest.
I have a cabbed B2650, so I have the extra seat behind the cab. It is somewhat cramped if working for extended hours, but otherwise, not bad.

For what I do, and what I have invested, I feel it is the perfect combination for me. Everyone has to decide for themselves what they will settle for, and at what cost. I’m real happy with my choices

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The reality is that any of the three will do what you describe. The BX will do it slowly and you'll learn how to leverage the machine to do more than you thought. The B will do it OK, but maybe not as fast as you like. And the LX will do it faster and with more flexibility. None of them are a mini-ex, and all of them are compromises.

It sounds to me like you have jobs to do, but not actually that many of them. Once the French drains and other digging is done - how frequently will you have backhoe work, and does it justify the larger machine? If not, then put up with it for the 3-4 weeks that it takes to put them in, and live with the B.

All of them are tractors, and all of them will make you happy so long as you have eyes open about what you're buying. None of them are a wheelbarrow and a shovel, which is probably what you'll be using otherwise.....

Reactions: 1 users

Idahomestead

May 22, 2022
Idaho
The reality is that any of the three will do what you describe. The BX will do it slowly and you'll learn how to leverage the machine to do more than you thought. The B will do it OK, but maybe not as fast as you like. And the LX will do it faster and with more flexibility. None of them are a mini-ex, and all of them are compromises.

It sounds to me like you have jobs to do, but not actually that many of them. Once the French drains and other digging is done - how frequently will you have backhoe work, and does it justify the larger machine? If not, then put up with it for the 3-4 weeks that it takes to put them in, and live with the B.

All of them are tractors, and all of them will make you happy so long as you have eyes open about what you're buying. None of them are a wheelbarrow and a shovel, which is probably what you'll be using otherwise.....
I think it’s important for me to remember that ANY of these machines are going to make life much easier for me. I have a feeling that owning a tractor is sort of like owning a truck in that you are suddenly more useful to friends and family. I don’t want to buy something and be wishing I had something different after a few months. I have been trying to balance my present needs with potential future needs. Last night I was even looking at the L2501 which seems like overkill for my needs. I like to keep things for a long time and want to be happy with this purchase for a long while. Perhaps I should just select the machine that will do most of my work well and be willing to sell it if I discover that it’s not quite right.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Good thinking. Tractors don't lose much value. Buy what you can afford now, trade in a few years if you find you want/can afford more. Also, the wife will be more keen on a new tractor once she sees how much you use it and how happy you are.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
$3500 might seem like a lot, but having a more capable tractor and attachments might be worth it. I did the B2601/BH70 thing and it has been a bit of a disappointment, the limited swing is a bother every time I use the backhoe and I am always at the limit of its capabilities. Besides the performance, which I can't complain about because the specifications were readily available, the backhoe has been a nightmare with quality issues.
I hear what you are saying, but as a B2601 owner who is waiting for my backhoe (BH70) to arrive I'd like to hear more about the problems with your BH70, specifically the quality aspects. Poor manufacturing?

It's hard to visualize the 20% swing limit on either side being a major issue (of course it's a drawback) but I'm also interested in how you are reaching the 'limits of its capabilities' regularly.

My B2601 is my first tractor, as is my (future) BH70.

Does anyone know when backhoes will be available? Been waiting a month already; I've got work lined up for that thing! :(

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
1. Thumb bracket welded in the wrong position
2. Thumb pin too short
3. Thumb pin had no grease hole
4. Grease fittings completely loose
5. Grease fittings painted shut
6. Dipper collided with boom
7. Boom drifted down rapidly
8. Hose fitting completely loose
9. Boom cylinder replaced, still drifts
10. Boom cylinder rebuilt, still drifts
11. Valve body probably defective causing drift
12. Dipper replaced, they forgot all 6 bushings
13. Hose to tractor leaks
14. Seat wouldn't swivel, faulty dealer install
15. Control handles completely loose, almost fell off

"limits of its capabilities"
I really thought there would be more power and lift, maybe pressure is too low, don't know yet. I have been reaching the limits of travel on almost every project. That 20% is way more troublesome than you might think, there is often a limited area where you can dump the bucket, I find it often.