Baited bear

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Sat, May 21, 2022, 3:58 PM

LAS VEGAS, NV - JANUARY 21: XXXXXXX
  • The hunting guide who took him is facing felony charges for illegally baiting the bear.
  • The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Wade Lemons used "a pile of grain, oil, and pastries" to bait the bear.
A hunting guide in Utah is facing felony charges after being accused of illegally baiting a bear for xxxxx. to hunt in May 2018, The Salt Lake Tribune reported on Saturday.
The outlet reported that Wade Lemon faces up to five years in state prison for the fatal shooting of the bear on May 18, 2018.
Lemon is accused of using "a pile of grain, oil, and pastries" to bait the bear that XXXXX. would shoot. The Tribune reported that prosecutors said there's no evidence to suggest that XXXXXX. knew the bear was illegally baited.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would have thought that the bear walked up with a shopping cart was a good clue.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine

LAS VEGAS, NV - JANUARY 21: XXXXXXX
  • The hunting guide who took him is facing felony charges for illegally baiting the bear.
  • The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Wade Lemons used "a pile of grain, oil, and pastries" to bait the bear.
A hunting guide in Utah is facing felony charges after being accused of illegally baiting a bear for xxxxx. to hunt in May 2018, The Salt Lake Tribune reported on Saturday.
The outlet reported that Wade Lemon faces up to five years in state prison for the fatal shooting of the bear on May 18, 2018.
Lemon is accused of using "a pile of grain, oil, and pastries" to bait the bear that XXXXX. would shoot. The Tribune reported that prosecutors said there's no evidence to suggest that XXXXXX. knew the bear was illegally baited.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would have thought that the bear walked up with a shopping cart was a good clue.
We bait black bear here in Maine no big deal. Libs tried passing laws to make it illegal a few years back. We threatened to use libs as bait. We won.

Reactions: 5 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
We bait black bear here in Maine no big deal. Libs tried passing laws to make it illegal a few years back. We threatened to use libs as bait. We won.
It was meant to be humous. Why make it political ?

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
It was meant to be humous. Why make it political ?
your post is about Donald Trump JR
My telling of the bear bait ban story in maine is true, look it up

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
That last line about the shopping cart is funny. Those fond memories of Yogi & Booboo .
I really don't think Mr XXXX didn't know all about the bait and should be in court also.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

I would favor a hefty fine that needed to be paid, with the threat of incarceration hanging over the guy's head if he failed to make payments.

Not sure free room and board at tax payer expense for up to five years makes sense...

Reactions: 1 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would favor a hefty fine that needed to be paid, with the threat of incarceration hanging over the guy's head if he failed to make payments.

Not sure free room and board at tax payer expense for up to five years makes sense...
I think there are a lot of crimes that punishment would be good for.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
That last line about the shopping cart is funny. Those fond memories of Yogi & Booboo .
I really don't think Mr XXXX didn't know all about the bait and should be in court also.
Agreed—he needs to be a real man and own up to his role in this.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Trying to imagine how this guide kept a straight face. Walk the client into the woods and pretend to track the bear. Then at a set point tell the client, okay get down behind this log, the bear will be at that big RED X in the opening at 3:30.
I agree that jail time would be too extreme. Fine him and take his hunting privilege for a year or so.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Trying to imagine how this guide kept a straight face. Walk the client into the woods and pretend to track the bear. Then at a set point tell the client, okay get down behind this log, the bear will be at that big RED X in the opening at 3:30.
I agree that jail time would be too extreme. Fine him and take his hunting privilege for a year or so.
Surprized there havent been claims of Russian collusion in this incedent where a bear and a trump are involved and all..

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
your post is about Donald Trump JR
My telling of the bear bait ban story in maine is true, look it up
Partially true:
Bait may be placed up to 30 days prior to opening day of the bear bait hunting season and no later than October 31. Bait areas must be cleaned up by November 10. Bait can be used to assist dog hunters and trappers, but it is illegal to shoot a bear over bait after the close of the bait season.

Baiting and then shooting while baited is Illegal!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I see several of these big game guides antics first hand, they are crooks!
Fining them means nothing, throw them in jail with the rest of the crooks.
Strip them of any future hunting guide, gun rights!

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Does bear taste good? I prefer cattle. Pig is pretty tasty too. You gotta be some kinda super bored to pay somebody to take you out to point to a bear so you can shoot it.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Partially true:
Bait may be placed up to 30 days prior to opening day of the bear bait hunting season and no later than October 31. Bait areas must be cleaned up by November 10. Bait can be used to assist dog hunters and trappers, but it is illegal to shoot a bear over bait after the close of the bait season.

Baiting and then shooting while baited is Illegal!
Wrong. You can shoot bear over bait in maine.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine

Last edited:

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Motionclone.
Adding the Maine hunting dates would have helped. The baiting regulations are vague about the overlap with open season.

From Maine inland fisheries and wildlife
Hunting with Bait

August 29, 2022 - September 24, 2022

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I've hunted bear and got a nice one years ago it wasn't something I like the taste of no matter how we tried to prepare it and most of it was cooked off and feed to our dogs so it didn't go to waste. I haven't hunted bear since. In PA you can't hunt over bait just got to be in the right place at the right time. :)

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Motionclone.
Adding the Maine hunting dates would have helped. The baiting regulations are vague about the overlap with open season.

From Maine inland fisheries and wildlife
Hunting with Bait

August 29, 2022 - September 24, 2022
No they arent vague at all, you guys just dont know how to read i guess and dont want to believe the guy who lives in Maine i guess. Wolfman was Just in such a rush to prove me wrong for some reason that those important details were overlooked by him.

Last edited: