What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I haven't seen a grapple like that before, what brand is it?

There are similar ones made by Fransgard, and Sundown. And I think a couple other smaller makers.

I bought this kind because I figured my primary uses would be loading the sawmill and cutting firewood from delivered logs. I imagine it’s not as good for brush, but hopefully still works somewhat, I haven’t tried yet. It’s also good for big rocks, not good for smaller rocks (they just fall through).

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Day off from landscape projects because of rain. Yesterday I finished mulching the bed along side part of the driveway with the boxwoods. The Boss wanted the bed wider than I had originally made it. Of course she was right. The Kubota makes a nifty wheelbarrow and allows easy dumping of partial loads. Then i just have to rake.
20220513_152953_resized.jpg

20220513_153034_resized_1.jpg

Also got a start on creating a new bed for the trees / bushes I planted at the edge of the woods / front lawn. That's when I ran out of mulch.

20220515_091106_resized.jpg

Learned a couple of things. 8 yards of mulch wasn't enough and the Boss wants to change the size of the bed (bigger). Also, if you put down fertilizer the friggin lawn grows like hell.

That lilac tree is a real survivor. I planted it about 12 years ago. The deer are relentless on it every winter. It's finally tall enough that it has significant flowers that make it now.

I can't imagine how I could have spread that mulch without the tractor.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
@ctfjr you're property has come out so nice, all the work you've done in the last year or two!

Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Used my diesel wheelbarrow to move about 10 buckets full of firewood from the front yard where I processed it from my woods clearing project to the backyard near the fire pit. Now it can dry and the designated neighborhood Karen doesn't report me for blight.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Didn’t think of pics…all done now. Not hard to imagine though…set blower on bucket, secure with ratchet strap, secure nozzle in an applicable direction, and BLOW! Of course had to get off the seat and start the blower first…😂
Best part is you can tilt the bucket for maximum blow (angled more to the ground’for stubborn debris) and also tilt the bucket up for distance blowing. My blower is a very powerful Redmax blower that I used to use for my lawn mowing business.
Who needs a PTO blower when you can strap a blower with throttle lock on your bucket... Genius!

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Day off from landscape projects because of rain. Yesterday I finished mulching the bed along side part of the driveway with the boxwoods. The Boss wanted the bed wider than I had originally made it. Of course she was right. The Kubota makes a nifty wheelbarrow and allows easy dumping of partial loads. Then i just have to rake.
View attachment 80060

View attachment 80062

Also got a start on creating a new bed for the trees / bushes I planted at the edge of the woods / front lawn. That's when I ran out of mulch.

View attachment 80063

Learned a couple of things. 8 yards of mulch wasn't enough and the Boss wants to change the size of the bed (bigger). Also, if you put down fertilizer the friggin lawn grows like hell.

That lilac tree is a real survivor. I planted it about 12 years ago. The deer are relentless on it every winter. It's finally tall enough that it has significant flowers that make it now.

I can't imagine how I could have spread that mulch without the tractor.
Beautiful property! That private drive is pristine!

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
@ctfjr you're property has come out so nice, all the work you've done in the last year or two!

Its been a great learning experience for me. I've been working from home now for over 2 years. Gives me flexibility.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Beautiful property! That private drive is pristine!
TY!
Wasn't always. . .
The driveway is about 500' and has a pretty good elevation drop in one area. With my previous tractor I graded truckloads of 3/4 process trying to keep it up. The issue was the rain water would run straight down the fall line and erode some serious ruts.
With this tractor I decided to pitch it all to one side. The box blade / back blade and top n tilt have made it really easy. I am still working on the lower section but don't want to bring in more process until I'm through with most of the landscaping.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
TY!
Wasn't always. . .
The driveway is about 500' and has a pretty good elevation drop in one area. With my previous tractor I graded truckloads of 3/4 process trying to keep it up. The issue was the rain water would run straight down the fall line and erode some serious ruts.
With this tractor I decided to pitch it all to one side. The box blade / back blade and top n tilt have made it really easy. I am still working on the lower section but don't want to bring in more process until I'm through with most of the landscaping.
Sounds like a lot of work went into that, the hard work definitely paid off. Do you have any old photos of what the road used to look like?

I decided to go back outside again a few hours after setting all my smaller wood branches on fire and threw a giant buckthorn stump the previous owner decided to bury on the property in a terrible location. Used the FEL to scoop it up and eased it into the fire pit being careful to keep the hydraulic lines and anything flammable away from the short flames. The stump is starting to catch as the 5' pile I had is turning to ash.

PXL_20220515_195332721.jpg

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Nice looking fire pit, but I wonder if those landscape stones will be able to take the heat?
I'm thinking they are going to crumble from the extreme heat. Time will tell.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Nice looking fire pit, but I wonder if those landscape stones will be able to take the heat?
I'm thinking they are going to crumble from the extreme heat. Time will tell.
Thanks! I've used it regularly for 2 years now with no issue. The retaining wall blocks sit on an 8" bed of clean limestone with geotextile fabric underneath to prevent them from heaving in the winter. There is a 10 gauge steel ring inside the pit with about a 1" air gap between the blocks and the ring that I've filled with slag sand to insulate the blocks from heat. Hopefully they don't fail but you're right, time will tell..

PXL_20210306_215437483.jpg
PXL_20210309_182318760.jpg
PXL_20210311_224757142.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Excellent prep job. I'm sure those precautions will make a heck of difference in regard to the longevity of the stones. Just stacking them up without the prep could cause problems...way to go!

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Excellent prep job. I'm sure those precautions will make a heck of difference in regard to the longevity of the stones. Just stacking them up without the prep could cause problems...way to go!
Much appreciated! Yeah I always laugh when I see folks in Michigan stack block over dirt without any prep or fire ring (unless you're building a quick campfire)... Those blocks end up wavy after one season and fall apart from the heat. I figure if I go overkill, this thing may last a while as I'd hate to have to build another one 😅

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Sounds like a lot of work went into that, the hard work definitely paid off. Do you have any old photos of what the road used to look like?
. . .
Sorry couldn't find any 'before I started' shots. Actually only have a few from that project.
This one is using the back blade to move the material from the edge of the low side back toward the center. The box blade was used first to soften up the really packed ground.
The process was run through a section with the box blade then use the back blade to create the pitch and move the excess to the high side.

The driveway is constructed on fill, some of it 10' deep. Without the offset I never could have gotten to the edge.

back blade showing offset.jpg

an near the end of the job

back blade grading driveway cropped.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
What kind of chipper is that?
How do you like it?
It is a WoodMax WM-8m.

It has done everything I have asked it to do. We had 16 trees pushed out to build our garage and I chipped all the tops up with it. I have a post with some pictures of the piles of chips I had. I'm very happy with it.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
My neighbor next to me at my home has about 3.8 acres which he built a rustic cabin. He has a part time firewood processing business along with sawing/drying rough lumber.
Over the weekend we swapped materials and labor. He supplied the materials and labor to build a stout workbench in my tractor shed and also to block in the rafters on my deer hunting box blind. In exchange I used my L2501 to pull about 17 or 18 stumps and then move and level dirt. He will be putting firewood drying racks in this area. I spent as much time pulling one relatively large elm stump (12 diameter) as I did the remaining smaller stumps. The elm was a job for a backhoe etc but I took my time and was able to get it out.

The picture is a screen shot from my action cam when I first arrived.

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 12.32.05 PM.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Sorry couldn't find any 'before I started' shots. Actually only have a few from that project.
This one is using the back blade to move the material from the edge of the low side back toward the center. The box blade was used first to soften up the really packed ground.
The process was run through a section with the box blade then use the back blade to create the pitch and move the excess to the high side.

The driveway is constructed on fill, some of it 10' deep. Without the offset I never could have gotten to the edge.

View attachment 80095

an near the end of the job

View attachment 80096
You aren't kidding, I can see the slope change significantly by the trees in the first photo. Great work man.

Who makes that blade? It looks real stout.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
It's an EA - its well built and the best feature is that offset