What type of Diesel fuel?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The light on the dashboard of my BX23S has just come on, and that means that the fuel that came from the dealer is almost all used up. I am in a quandary as to what brand and type of diesel fuel I should buy. The dealer is too far away to go back to buy some diesel fuel from them, and I just don't trust the local green tractor dealer to give me the correct fuel for my brandy new shiny 2022 Kubota BX23S. What brand and grade would you recommend to an old man that has to learn anew all about diesel tractors. For decades I just used No. 2 furnace oil in my ole 1949 Minneapolis Moline tractor that I bought new from the Minneapolis Moline dealer down in Iowa City. That city slicker dealer treated me mighty right back then, and he even through into the deal a free leather key fob. I loved that key fob, and I mourned its loss for decades after it fell out of my pocket at the Drunken Clam Saloon. There were some really good guys there to drink beer with. I just loved the way that Peter's wife Lois would come looking for Peter, and he would make some excuse to get out of trouble with her. Cleveland, Joe, and Quagmire would just smile at her. Peter would tell her some tall tale, and the other guys would swear by whatever Peter said. It sure was a shame when Brian got run over by the garbage truck. Those were the days when things were a lot simpler, and gizoline was only 16 cents a gallon.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Go to a truck stop and fill up a few cans there. Nothing special about the fuel the dealer used and I doubt the dealer actually sells fuel. If the fuel is red, that just means it is off road diesel which is identical to the stuff the trucks use but with red dye and no taxes applied.

The only thing to be watchful of is turn around. The station selling Diesel should have a decent volume of traffic through it that buys diesel, if not the diesel can be old with water, and could cause issues.

The one thing about truck stop diesel, you are paying road taxes, so if you use a LOT of diesel for home or farm use, you can call your local farm service, rent a tank and they will come out and fill it as needed, but have a minimum of 100 or more gallons. It will be the red stuff.

Price it though!!! I found a station selling off road, but the difference in tax between where it is located and what I can get road diesel for wasn't worth the trip, it actually cost more than what I got at a closer station with my discount card.

The Plunk

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 16, 2021
Western PA
The manual says to use off road but my FIL told me to use anything really. He said home heating oil will work fine too. Come from a guy that hase his own excavating business and lots of diesel toys and trucks.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Off road no road tax,, supposedly but I figure its mixed in ther some how

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Ultra low sulfur diesel is recommended for your tractor. That's really all that's available now so it's not an issue. Use the same diesel all the trucks use. In the cooler weather you should seek winterized diesel or get an additive and mix it yourself.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Go to a gas station/truck stop that sells diesel fuel. Buy some. Put it in your tractor's fuel tank. It's really that simple.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Only use Kubota branded diesel. Be sure to carefully log any amount of fuel added exceeding 30 milliliters, to the nearest 10 milliliters. Additionally, log all runtime to the nearest 1/10th. Whatever, you do, do NOT strain your tractor, or "load it", this is bad for the "bottom end". Forum suggests staying under 2100 RPM. Finally, be sure not to get it dirty.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I've burned home heating oil in every tractor I've had - from a B7200 to a big old Ford TLB.

Just realized this has to be TIC

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I like to cut my diesel with French fry oil. 70-30 over summer. Makes everyone hungry that's around.....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Diesel is diesel. No mystery. Only difference between on and off road is a red dye added and a cheaper price due to no road tax. Get a dedicated 5gal yellow diesel can and run (or drive) down to the gas station. Should be fairly manageable.

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
It's all the same except winter or summer blend. Dyed/clear, don't matter. Dyed fuel is not taxed, clear is. It is dyed so the law can tell which one your running. Put dyed, ie un-taxed in a vehicle and get caught.... unkie sam will screw you every which way. They will spend a fortune to eff you and you will in the end pay dearly. For our botas, a few cents a gallon won't make a darn bit of difference to your pocket.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
The light on the dashboard of my BX23S has just come on, and that means that the fuel that came from the dealer is almost all used up. I am in a quandary as to what brand and type of diesel fuel I should buy. The dealer is too far away to go back to buy some diesel fuel from them, and I just don't trust the local green tractor dealer to give me the correct fuel for my brandy new shiny 2022 Kubota BX23S. What brand and grade would you recommend to an old man that has to learn anew all about diesel tractors. For decades I just used No. 2 furnace oil in my ole 1949 Minneapolis Moline tractor that I bought new from the Minneapolis Moline dealer down in Iowa City. That city slicker dealer treated me mighty right back then, and he even through into the deal a free leather key fob. I loved that key fob, and I mourned its loss for decades after it fell out of my pocket at the Drunken Clam Saloon. There were some really good guys there to drink beer with. I just loved the way that Peter's wife Lois would come looking for Peter, and he would make some excuse to get out of trouble with her. Cleveland, Joe, and Quagmire would just smile at her. Peter would tell her some tall tale, and the other guys would swear by whatever Peter said. It sure was a shame when Brian got run over by the garbage truck. Those were the days when things were a lot simpler, and gizoline was only 16 cents a gallon.
Guess you've gotten about 12-15 hours on the clock?

Any diesel at a service station will do unless you want off road. Then be sure they sell plenty of it. I only bought off road ONE TIME and had a problem with it.

Used to have diesel cars and wanted on-road in case I needed to refuel one of them. Still using on-road because of that bad experience with the red dyed off-road.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Not sure if the OP has 'biodiesel' available in their locale, but I'd be reluctant to use it in my Kubota. I have used it in my on-road diesel pickup (in western US, not so prevalent on the east coast) and did not notice any difference (except color, bright green).

Find a high(er) volume good-sized gas/diesel station & fill your 5-G can right there. Choose a visit time for lower traffic, e.g. early morning for no waiting or other traffic issues. (y)

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I use the yellow plastic jugs and pay very close attention to the remaining contents when it gets down to about 1/2 gallon. If there is any water or impurities you will be able to easily see it.

DonMo

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Nov 24, 2018
NW Missouri
Next time you see Hank, Dale, Bill or Boomhauer out by the street, grab a beer and go out and talk to them. They are the real experts on diesel fuel.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Diesel and home heating oil are the same thing, but the home heating oil is red, and has been winterized, never let anyone tell you different.

Most actual truck stops have a red pump for no tax diesel, it's what the reefers use, other wise your local MFA or other farm fuel supplier has it and most have pumps somewhere on their lot, or if you live in farm country make friends with a local "BIG" time farmer and buy some off him/her, :).

You could actually run just Peanut oil, (original fuel used for diesel engines), or even extremely filtered used motor, (not recommended, but it will work), regular motor oil, hyd oil, if it's oil it will work, biodiesel, (provided your tractor has the proper fuel lines, and seals in the system).

Oh and tractor dealer just fills from their farm fuel dealer delivered fuel tank out back, and would charge you a fortune if they did sell it to you, always gotta think profit.

Cheers
Samantha

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Only use Kubota branded diesel. Be sure to carefully log any amount of fuel added exceeding 30 milliliters, to the nearest 10 milliliters. Additionally, log all runtime to the nearest 1/10th. Whatever, you do, do NOT strain your tractor, or "load it", this is bad for the "bottom end". Forum suggests staying under 2100 RPM. Finally, be sure not to get it dirty.

I notice that you didn't use the glow plugs, but without the temperature being logged it's difficult to evaluate if your starting procedure is going to damage your tractor. I recommend that you log at least the basic readings like temperature and humidity, although solar radiation would be good too.

• Haha

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I have run WMO in my B2410 for a few years. I filtered it down to 5 microns and blended it with diesel. Tractor had more power but ran hotter. Takes quite a few tanks of regular diesel to clear the black out of the filter though.