case drain remote

foresterdj

Equipment
L2550, FEL, rear blade, 3 pt mower, chipper & blower, disc, grapple bucket
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
I am planning to build a hydraulic motor powered pto winch 3 point attachment for use with my L2550. The tractor already has a set of rear remotes, which I use with the Wallenstein roller feed chipper. The chipper has just the two typical hydraulic lines for powering the hydraulic motor that runs the roller infeed.

In doing research on hydraulic gear motors for the new project, they all come with a port for the hydraulic motor case drain, the smaller line to return low pressure fluid from the hydraulic motor case back to the reservoir (fluid which has leaked out of where it is supposed to be, inside the motor case). I am puzzling how to plumb a case drain remote to the rear of the tractor.

If anyone has done this or can point me in the right direction, please reply.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am planning to build a hydraulic motor powered pto winch 3 point attachment for use with my L2550. The tractor already has a set of rear remotes, which I use with the Wallenstein roller feed chipper. The chipper has just the two typical hydraulic lines for powering the hydraulic motor that runs the roller infeed.

In doing research on hydraulic gear motors for the new project, they all come with a port for the hydraulic motor case drain, the smaller line to return low pressure fluid from the hydraulic motor case back to the reservoir (fluid which has leaked out of where it is supposed to be, inside the motor case). I am puzzling how to plumb a case drain remote to the rear of the tractor.

If anyone has done this or can point me in the right direction, please reply.
Its just a tank return. A single coupler that goes to the sump on the tractor. One possible point of connection would be a tee into the tank return on the loader valve.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

foresterdj

Equipment
L2550, FEL, rear blade, 3 pt mower, chipper & blower, disc, grapple bucket
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Ya. As soon as I quit puzzling on it and went to bed it occurred to me a simple T into the common return line from the FEL and front third function valve, with a line to the rear will solve the problem. Will probably size down to a 3/8th to ensure no way to hook up wrong.

Thanks for the reply.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
You probably want to do a little more reading on case drains. We run them a lot on skid loader and on the bigger tractors pulling planters with big hyd motors. All of them say to have zero back pressure on the case drain and go direct to the sump. By putting a T in your loader return line you would have back pressure in the case drain line when you operate the loader. I know a guy that ruin a expensive hyd motor on a vac motor on a crop planter because of T into a hyd return . Just something to look into.

crmorse

Equipment
'20 RTV-XG850, '16 L47 TLB, '06 JCB 506CHL, '99 JD 455G, 1953 Ford 8N
Nov 28, 2016
Anniston, AL
Also check your motor specs, many of them allow you to plug the case drain if there's no back pressure on the return line. If you have it hooked up to the rear remotes AND don't use another function at the same time (such as raising the loader while the winch is turning) then you may be ok.

I'm building the same thing right now and have mine hooked up that way. However, I did check my motor spec to make sure that was allowed.

Woodychevy38s

Equipment
L5030, L5740, L5460
Mar 6, 2022
Michigan
I know older post, but at the most basic way of thinking, just stick the case drain line into the fill port? Like literally just connect it to the fill cap next to the breather?