GR2120 Front Axle Pivot Adjustment?

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
Can someone shed some light on what's involved to adjust the front axle pivot on a GR 2120? It's at 400 hours so it's due. I haven't gotten around to buying a service manual yet :rolleyes:
I've noticed recently the axle housing has some markings from hitting the frame and am hoping this is the cause ?
TIA
Miles

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
Wanted to report back that I Bought a downloadable manual online, from https://www.lawntractorco.com

Seems to be a pretty straightforward adjustment. Wanted to pass the info alonng on the above site as the last place iI bought an online manual from was a bit of a ripoff as it had been copied so many times the pictures were illegible. this one was Quite nice with some color pic's and diagrams as well :)

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
By the way the adjustment is nothing more than adding or subtracting shims to the 2 lowest bolts on the mount that have long spacers as well. Mine was at the outer limit of the spec and rather than make thinner shims I took .045" off each of the spacers with a lathe. can't recall the measurement's now but will post back at a later time.
🍺

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I believe the pivot adjustment's purpose is to keep the front axle vertical and prevent it from rocking back and forth. I do not mean rocking side to side but along the axis to the tractor from front to rear.

The axle pivots to keep all 4 wheels in contact with the ground and if the ground is uneven the axle will pivot until it is mechanically stopped. This is not a problem but as designed.

Thank you for the report on the quality of manual supplier. All too often you end up with useless pages someone photo copied.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
"The axle pivots to keep all 4 wheels in contact with the ground and if the ground is uneven the axle will pivot until it is mechanically stopped. This is not a problem but as designed."

Being a retired engineer, I'll admit I machined a couple of rubber bump stops for the front axle and attached them to the frame. I'm sometimes a bit too anal LOL;)

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yes if the axle is allowed to move, the change results in a change in caster-and in the case of the GR series, also a change in the front propshaft angle. Obviously it'll also move side to side a little which affects steering as well. IOW, harder to mow a straight line.

the axle pivot is a wear item, but I can't remember, does it have a grease fitting? If not it should.

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
Sorry for the delayed reply but yes it does have TWO grease zerks, one on the front and one on the back of the pivot, both blocked with factory paint :mad: . Removing them and a kwik pass with a wire wheel took care of that issue.