L4701 Regen twice in first 20 hrs?

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I'll be reaching out to my dealer tomorrow, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has had a similar experience...

Have a new 4701 that in the ~20.5hrs I've put on it, has regen'd twice -- once at 9.7 hrs and once right at 20. When operating, I run it about 2200rpms. Been mostly using the grapple vs ground engagement or bushhogging or anything. The second regen triggered today, and even running at 2200rpms it indicated to increase rpms -- needed to be at 2500 apparently.

From what I've read, this is uncommon/more frequent than expected. Is 2200rpms not high enough for cleaning up deadfall with a grapple? Even so, does two regens in the first 20hrs seem off?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Hard to say at this time. The harder I work my tractor the farther apart regens occur, to a point.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Agreed, probably to early to say if an issue.

Fuel quality is important. You running pump diesel from local truck stop or ORD?

My dealer advised to stay away from pump diesel. Too much bio-crap in it. Clogs up DPF faster, making REGENS more frequent.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t have the records in front of me but I recall two regens in pretty quick succession followed by settling in to a more reasonable (IMO) 30 to 50 hours between regens. My dealer warned me that would likely happen so basically, they didn’t want to hear about it as a reported “problem” unless it continued past the 50 hour breakin period. How accurate the info they gave me is, I don’t know for a fact. By all means, ask your dealer. If it’s normal, they should know.

Last edited:

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
My 4701 regens every 15 to 20 hours now. I have 335 hours on it. I am mostly running a grapple at 2000-2200rpms. Seems to work fine. When tractor calls for regen, I just raise the throttle until the light goes off & keep working. I do not load the motor much, while in regen mode, but do pick up & move limbs. The pitch of the motor changes, telling me regen is complete (I verify that the light had gone off) & on to the next task. I would call the dealer, but I think your fine.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
My L3901 did 2 regens in first 25 hours. I run it faster now, 1800-2000 rpm without PTO implement. It's about 1/2 as frequent now. Regens seem to be more frequent in cold weather.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My new MX has 25 hours and no regeneration yet.

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 FEL, RGA1258 tiller, RCR1860 rotary cutter
Nov 2, 2021
My L3901 didn't regen until around the 35 hour mark. I kept waiting for it to happen starting around 20hrs but it didn't. I run it around 2000 rpm anytime unless I am doing PTO work. I also try not to let it idle if possible and turn it off unless I am at our hunting property which is about 25 minutes away and I have to trailer the tractor there. I figure if it is running while I am out there its best to keep it running.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Looks like experiences vary, but it's not necessarily abnormal. I'll check with the dealer to be sure, but not too worried then.

As far as fuel, the first tank came from the dealer, so presumably ORD. Subsequent fillups have been regular gas station ULSD, same as I run in my diesel car (I haven't found ORD close enough to make it worth the drive just to fill up a 5 gallon can).

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
If yours has the DFP display, keep an eye on it, will tell percentage of particulates. A regen dumps raw fuel increasing the DPF temps to burn off the carbon, so when the filter shows it hitting 50%, go find something that will stress the engine, like mowing thick grass, or tilling up something. My L4060 was showing 20% with 9 hours, then I went and rough mowed, and it actually dropped 3%. Cold ambient temps also increase particulates, running in temps below 50* tends to clog it up faster.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'll be reaching out to my dealer tomorrow, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has had a similar experience...

Have a new 4701 that in the ~20.5hrs I've put on it, has regen'd twice -- once at 9.7 hrs and once right at 20. When operating, I run it about 2200rpms. Been mostly using the grapple vs ground engagement or bushhogging or anything. The second regen triggered today, and even running at 2200rpms it indicated to increase rpms -- needed to be at 2500 apparently.

From what I've read, this is uncommon/more frequent than expected. Is 2200rpms not high enough for cleaning up deadfall with a grapple? Even so, does two regens in the first 20hrs seem off?
No cause for alarm.

Who knows how many times it was started, shut down, restarted, etc., while sitting on the dealer's lot or in the shop.

Too soon to make reliable judgement.

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I can tell you that the first few hours I had mine, I quickly jumped the DPF up to 10% from all the idling and driving it around on auto throttle. It wasn't until I started actually using it that I throttled it up and burned cleaner.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Agreed, probably to early to say if an issue.

Fuel quality is important. You running pump diesel from local truck stop or ORD?

My dealer advised to stay away from pump diesel. Too much bio-crap in it. Clogs up DPF faster, making REGENS more frequent.
What evidence do you have that there is any difference than red dye?

Reactions: 1 user

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
To folks mentioning the DPF display -- only the L60s have those as far as I'm aware... the bare bones L01s do not, sadly

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
To folks mentioning the DPF display -- only the L60s have those as far as I'm aware... the bare bones L01s do not, sadly

Thats too bad. Good learning tool when you first get one of these. I have 15 hours on now and 20% on the readout. Going to see if I can get it down to 1% per hour of use.

cliffboyer

Equipment
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
What evidence do you have that there is any difference than red dye?
Not to high-jack OP thread, but you ask a fair question.

Supporting evidence....none really. That advice was given by a dealer that sells & maintains well built tractors. They been around a long time too, probably seen a lot of fuel related issues, and get a lot of related bulletins from Kubota.

Also the oil company I get my ORD from said the stuff they sell has a very low (2-3%) content of Bio in it. Now, the max allowed (I think) is 5%, which they would almost guarantee is what most stations have. Given the state of the world we live in, I'm betting fuel suppliers are adding as much Bio to the mix as they legally can to maximize profits. I mean recycled animal fat has to be cheaper than refined crude, right?

Granted, with such low percentages one wouldn't think it could cause any issue or more frequent regens...or could it? Who is to say.

But I know my tractor with 189hrs has only done 5 or 6 regens. That does not support that ORD is better, but I am following the advice of the dealer and its working fine for me.

Just my take on the subject.

Cheers.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
From what I’ve read here, ambient temperature has a big impact. So, what kind of temperatures have you been seeing?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Not to high-jack OP thread, but you ask a fair question.

Supporting evidence....none really. That advice was given by a dealer that sells & maintains well built tractors. They been around a long time too, probably seen a lot of fuel related issues, and get a lot of related bulletins from Kubota.

Also the oil company I get my ORD from said the stuff they sell has a very low (2-3%) content of Bio in it. Now, the max allowed (I think) is 5%, which they would almost guarantee is what most stations have. Given the state of the world we live in, I'm betting fuel suppliers are adding as much Bio to the mix as they legally can to maximize profits. I mean recycled animal fat has to be cheaper than refined crude, right?

Granted, with such low percentages one wouldn't think it could cause any issue or more frequent regens...or could it? Who is to say.

But I know my tractor with 189hrs has only done 5 or 6 regens. That does not support that ORD is better, but I am following the advice of the dealer and its working fine for me.

Just my take on the subject.

Cheers.
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, but I would bet that ORD formulation varies depending on the supplier. In some areas, I wouldn’t doubt that ORD is identical to diesel at the pump except for the dye and tax.

Reactions: 1 user

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
From what I’ve read here, ambient temperature has a big impact. So, what kind of temperatures have you been seeing?
I'm in middle TN, so we've been in the 50s-70s the past month, depending on time of day.

cliffboyer

Equipment
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, but I would bet that ORD formulation varies depending on the supplier. In some areas, I wouldn’t doubt that ORD is identical to diesel at the pump except for the dye and tax.
Absolutely, I agree with that assessment as well. I carry the belief that being in a more rural setting, heavily into farming crops, that the ORD is of a lower Bio content.

Could be off-base with that thinking. But hey, ignorance is bliss at times!