New Member With Hauling Question

MTBob

Equipment
2018 L6060 HSTC Kubota, Land Pride blade RB3785
Aug 10, 2019
Belgrade, Montana
Howdy, this is my first posting on this forum after purchasing a new-to-me 2018 Kubota L6060HSTC. I'll be hauling the tractor a couple hundred miles to my location, half of which will be on interstate roads.
I've got a question regarding hauling. I calculate the tractor, FEL & back blade weighs about 6,800 lbs. After reviewing a bunch of videos and information on this forum, I'm planning on using 2 independent chains on the rear (with 2 binders) and a single 2" ratchet strap through the FEL cross tube.
It appears to me that the best way to tie the chains to the rear is with a large clevis hooked onto the drawbar. The two rear chains would be each connected to the clevis on the draw bar and tied back to the trailer.
Does this arrangement make sense, or are there other ways to connect hold downs to the tractor? I don't recall any specific hold down lugs on the tractor designed for hauling.
Thanks in advance for any information, and it's good to see a forum dedicated to us Kubota owners.
1651421919586.png

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Howdy, this is my first posting on this forum after purchasing a new-to-me 2018 Kubota L6060HSTC. I'll be hauling the tractor a couple hundred miles to my location, half of which will be on interstate roads.
I've got a question regarding hauling. I calculate the tractor, FEL & back blade weighs about 6,800 lbs. After reviewing a bunch of videos and information on this forum, I'm planning on using 2 independent chains on the rear (with 2 binders) and a single 2" ratchet strap through the FEL cross tube.
It appears to me that the best way to tie the chains to the rear is with a large clevis hooked onto the drawbar. The two rear chains would be each connected to the clevis on the draw bar and tied back to the trailer.
Does this arrangement make sense, or are there other ways to connect hold downs to the tractor? I don't recall any specific hold down lugs on the tractor designed for hauling.
Thanks in advance for any information, and it's good to see a forum dedicated to us Kubota owners.
View attachment 79228
Only thought I had Is there any reason you plan to use a strap through the loader tube vs a chain through it?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Check the Laws in the states you'll be going thru. Some require all implements must be secured, Back Blade, FEL will need to be locked down to the trailer as well.

Good Luck with it at looks like a nice machine and welcome to OTT. Good folks on here with all answers to anything you may need to know.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
use the strap to secure the bucket down, TWO chains,crisscrossed on the front.
another chain/strap to secure the backblade.
Though unlikely, the strap through tube could 'chafe' and fail.
Can we assume your trailer is at least a 10K unit ?
Also lock the doors or run strap all way round to prevent them from opening.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
use the strap to secure the bucket down, TWO chains,crisscrossed on the front.
another chain/strap to secure the backblade.
Though unlikely, the strap through tube could 'chafe' and fail.
Can we assume your trailer is at least a 10K unit ?
Also lock the doors or run strap all way round to prevent them from opening.
I think GreensvilleJay's advice is good .

Securing the bucket is necessary and independent of how you secure the tractor. If you have a backhoe, that requires an additional strap/chain.

Myself, I would not be comfortable without using a chain at each corner of the tractor, four total, BUT from what I read, I THINK, one chain at each end of the tractor may be all that is required for under 10K total combined weight trailer loads.

Make sure you are meeting the minimum requirements where you are. Doing less is not advisable...you need to think of what could happen, not what MIGHT happen. In this case, could wins over might...in my opinion anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

MTBob

Equipment
2018 L6060 HSTC Kubota, Land Pride blade RB3785
Aug 10, 2019
Belgrade, Montana
Great advice guys, thanks! I'll definitely use chains front and rear. I'll be renting a 20 ft flatbed with a 12500 rated capacity.
Some clarification:
1. Is it OK to connect the two rear chains to the single clevis on the drawbar, or do they need to be connected to two independent points? If so, where on this tractor?
2. Is it OK to run a single chain through the FEL cross tube using a single binder on one end of the chain? Intuitively that doesn't seem to provide a firm side shifting support unless the chain is somehow connected solidly to the FEL. But, I don't see any good tie down points on the front of the tractor - I sure don't want to run a chain around the front end axle housing. Perhaps I could find a connection point on the front grill guard, but again, that seems a bit questionable.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
When I haul my MX, which is rare, I put a single chain OVER front driver axle, UNDER frame and back OVER passenger axle with both ends attached to trailer well forward of it. In the rear I go through the hole where drawbar is. Strap over bucket and implement, if any.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Great advice guys, thanks! I'll definitely use chains front and rear. I'll be renting a 20 ft flatbed with a 12500 rated capacity.
Some clarification:
1. Is it OK to connect the two rear chains to the single clevis on the drawbar, or do they need to be connected to two independent points? If so, where on this tractor?
2. Is it OK to run a single chain through the FEL cross tube using a single binder on one end of the chain? Intuitively that doesn't seem to provide a firm side shifting support unless the chain is somehow connected solidly to the FEL. But, I don't see any good tie down points on the front of the tractor - I sure don't want to run a chain around the front end axle housing. Perhaps I could find a connection point on the front grill guard, but again, that seems a bit questionable.
For (1) I think that would technically be considered one chain, but do not know for sure.

For (2) I think that would be fine, as you are just holding the loader down, and not concerned with cross forces, as they are addressed by adequate tractor securing.

Get advice from someone actually qualified to give it though!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you have them...

1 chain, right front axle of tractor to left side of trailer
1 chain, left front axle of tractor to right side of trailer
1 chain, right rear of tractor to left side of trailer
1 chain, left rear of tractor to right side of trailer
1 chain, secure loader bucket down
1 chain, secure rear implement.

There's 'safety' in numbers. while you 'might' be legal with only 2 chains, WHY take the risk ? Also if you have lots, cops won't pull you over for unsafe load....

Tilt and Load guys always keep winch hook on dead car..just in case...

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I agree about chaining around the front axles, but do you’all really do that around the steering linkage? I’ve not found on my modern orange tractors a way I feel confident to do that and not muck something. Are you using an axle strap or something? I draw if both ways on the rear end off a clevis, if I have the Bh on I draw both ways off the lower mount points of the base of the attachment and then I run a chain through the loader. I have also put another chain on the bucket (both on Bh and the fel) via the bucket hooks. I am not lawyer or popo either, but as I understand it that a loader is consider pet if the frame since it is pinned to the frame so it is acceptable to chain the loader as it’s the front end. It may not be correct, and I am sure there is a better way…my target is that it will not come off the trailer. I even wrap the chains that connect the trailer to the tow vehicle if you have been following that thread. 🤗. It’s not what could or might, think about what will not. If you could turn it upside down would it stay attached? Anything separate from the machine not attached also need to be secured.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I like these for securement. You can use a singe chain that "acts" like two chains. For example on the hooks by the drawbar, I'm only using about 12' of chain so I use a single 20 footer. D-ring to hook, a bunch of slack on the floor then hook over the another D-ring. A chain binder goes on the left and right segments, qualifying as 2 chains.
20220314_164942.jpg
20220314_164926.jpg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have hauled several tractors for many different people and dealers. I would look where the drawbar goes through the supporting frame at the rear of the trailer. Often the gap were the drawbar goes is large enough to put the hook on your chain through, Loop the hook back around and hook it to the chain. This allows you to hook directly to the tractor without the clevis. My second choice would be the clevis on the drawbar.

On the front end I have had several dealer reps advise not to chain to the axle. I can not say I agree with them but more then one has said not to chain to it. Often there is a place to attach the chain to the front of the frame. Chaining to the front grill guard would be fine. Wrap the area with a piece of carpet or rags to protect the paint.

Any implement attached to the tractor must also be secured. A strap through the tube on the FEL is fine but pad the edge as the corner will mark up your strap. Also add securement to the scraper blade if that comes with the tractor.

If you end up transporting the tractor often look into welding the hooks on the front as pictured as this will make securing the tractor much easier.

By DOT regulation the minimum you will need is 2 chains on the tractor and one strap on each implement and the FEL is not part of the tractor.

Hope this helps.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Running a single chain THRU the FEL cross-tube is not a good idea because it will not prevent sideways movement/shifting of the tractor. (The chain will slide thru the tube quite easily allowing the tractor to shift.)

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I would not secure a tractor by the drawbar. I'd want to secure to the frame or axle in some manner.

I know the drawbar is designed for heavy loads, but that's a different kind of loading. I would not risk damaging it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
2 independent chains on the rear (with 2 binders) and a single 2" ratchet strap through the FEL cross tube.

use a chain on the front rather than a strap but yes you're on the right track. That's how Kubota sent them to our lil dealer on flat bed trucks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DOT on the 90 in Montana can be tough.
Tractor needs 4 chains and 4 binders / 4 ratchet straps on 4 different corners or locations.
Loader needs one chain / binder or ratchet strap on the bucket
Any implement on the trailer will need its own Chain / Binder or Ratchet strap holding it down even if it's attached to the tractor.