Engine damage from topping off?

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I saw an article in Consumer Reports reminding that squeezing extra gas into a tank can in time damage an auto’s vapor recovery system and cause major problems.

I realized I DO this—on my tractor. The pump seems to cut off otherwise so soon, with the diesel far below the full port.

But do today’s tractors have a vapor recovery system?! I am an idiot if they do though I never squeeze much extra in.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I always do this on every car I've owned the past 40yrs.

I've been topping off for the last 13yrs on my current daily driver....2009 MINI. I fill it literally right to the gas cap, nearly every time. (on super hot days I might not for concern over expanding fuel volume)

I then drive a minimum of 25miles home, but sometimes 200miles or so on an alternate route.
There are now 230,000kms on the wee beast.
No issues.

No issues on the other 30 cars I've owned that I could attribute to this.....nor my motorcycle.

Yes, I realized you asked about a tractor....I do it on my 'BX & TG as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I then drive a minimum of 25miles home, but sometimes 200miles or so on an alternate route.
Wow! I'm impressed!

I too sometimes take alternate routes home...BUT never added 175 miles to the return trip!

I do enjoy the different views...but... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Wow! I'm impressed!

I too sometimes take alternate routes home...BUT never added 175 miles to the return trip!

I do enjoy the different views...but... :oops:
Yeah, I didn't explain that very well. The 200 mile route is to a 2nd workplace, so I gas up before leaving, then go to #2 location.(not home)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
whew !!!! man that'd be one painful detour..... worse than the 7 mile one I've had to deal with for 3 years...

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I used to top off my wifes 2013 Chevy Traverse. Wrecked the evap system, went into limp mode.
YMMV

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Probably depends on the particular vehicle as to whether topping it off hurts.

The evap canister on my 2007 E350 van is located in an awful spot behind the gas tank and between it and the spare tire. A few years ago I began having problems when fueling - the fuel nozzle kept turning off as if the tank was already full. This happened at many different service stations so it was not a bad fuel nozzle. Did some research and found out that by topping off my van completely was causing the gas to flood the evap canister, ruining it. I had to replace the canister. No more problems - and I don't top off the tank anymore, either!

But I don't think tractors have evap canisters.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Probably depends on the particular vehicle as to whether topping it off hurts.

The evap canister on my 2007 E350 van is located in an awful spot behind the gas tank and between it and the spare tire. A few years ago I began having problems when fueling - the fuel nozzle kept turning off as if the tank was already full. This happened at many different service stations so it was not a bad fuel nozzle. Did some research and found out that by topping off my van completely was causing the gas to flood the evap canister, ruining it. I had to replace the canister. No more problems - and I don't top off the tank anymore, either!

But I don't think tractors have evap canisters.
Yep I learned my lesson on my 08 Silverado, never heard of such a thing! It's very irritating trying to pump gas to have it click off every few seconds. Now as soon as that thing clicks I'm done!

They just couldn't leave well enough alone !

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yep I learned my lesson on my 08 Silverado, never heard of such a thing! It's very irritating trying to pump gas to have it click off every few seconds. Now as soon as that thing clicks I'm done!

They just couldn't leave well enough alone !
What I have noticed, is that sometime the fuel input stops, even though I know the tank is not full yet. BUT our dispensers here, have two settings that turn off when they sense the fuel pipe is full. One is fast, and the other is slower. If the fast does not work, I use the slower setting. I don't top off...but the slower setting always seems to work, when the fast one doesn't.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I saw an article in Consumer Reports reminding that squeezing extra gas into a tank can in time damage an auto’s vapor recovery system and cause major problems.

I realized I DO this—on my tractor. The pump seems to cut off otherwise so soon, with the diesel far below the full port.

But do today’s tractors have a vapor recovery system?! I am an idiot if they do though I never squeeze much extra in.
Only top off issue I have (Diesel tractor, mower, car, truck) is when topped off cold weather and then it warms up and fuel expands and leaks a little from the vent.

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
Been fueling tractors (and Diesel trucks) for years to the point where level is up to fuel cap. Never had a problem.
Gas vehicles can be different depending on who their emission system is set up.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Did it to the top almost every fillup on the 240D Benz for the 25 years we owned it and do it on the tractor all the time. There's no evap canister at risk on diesels.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have my own re-fueling set-up for my diesels and all my diesels are off-road, I keep my diesels topped off (to the point where I can see the fuel just at the cap stand-pipe) to minimize condensation issues (which can add water that will wreck injectors)….but my gasoline vehicles are kept to whatever level the auto shut-offs are set at the public pump. When the nozzle clicks “Off”…. I’m thru. Never a problem. (and never an angry person waiting next in-line behind me either)

Here’s an extreme example of idiocy: Have you ever observed Mr Lunatic actually hold the delivery-hose over-head in an attempt to drain the hose completely after the nozzle has shut off? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I have had the most issues topping of GM products..>I used to blame the evap solenoids as being junk and then read topping off the fuel is often the culprit. Stopped topping off and no more replacing evap solenoids ever 15k miles. Oh and to stay on track with the original question, I do not top off the tractor either even though it does not have all the emission components. :D