Tie Down Setup - Legal/Safe?

mculik5

Equipment
B2650 TLB
Sep 22, 2020
NJ
Hi. Just acquired an equipment trailer and am excited to be able to move my B2650 and implements to help family/friends. I've been doing a lot of reading about tying down and am wondering if the setup shown below passes muster with folks who are far more knowledgeable about these things than I.

I got this idea from this thread - https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/added-tie-down-points.50247/ - and specifically @Old_Paint's post. The Harbor Freight hooks - https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-tow-hook-kit-67497.html - fit the factory holes in my B2650 frame rails perfectly. What I'm not sure about is whether the loop of chain around the hook is the proper use of these hooks. Obviously, it will work, but if a trucker or other professional saw this, what would they say?

IMG-0259.jpg

IMG-0260.jpg

The tractor is obviously less than 10K pounds, so I only need two chains, technically. Originally, I was planning to do what @dirtydeed showed in the same thread with a shackle and the rear draw bar at both the front and rear - rear exactly as he showed, and front by fabricating something like this - https://rock-solid-motorsports.com/...ont-tie-down-and-tow-point-lx-b-and-bx-series.

But, that setup made me nervous that the tractor could tip if I had to swerve or something, since it's only really secured along the center line on each end. I also don't like the idea of going through the loader tube because then I'm relying on the loader hydraulics to keep the front end of the tractor down over bumps. Plus, I've seen the loader twist picking up uncentered loads before, so the same thing would probably happen if I had to swerve. So, my plan is to get one more chain and binder and do a three point setup with the tow hooks at the front and chain through the drawbar at the rear.

Thoughts overall? Thanks.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Your hooks look to be fine. They are shallow and might allow the chain to come off in an accident. The solution is easy, cross the chain under the frame to the opposite side of the trailer. This makes the chain pull into the throat of the hook and less likely to come off.

The second thought is to place the hook to the inside of the frame if there is room and run the chains to the same side of the trailer as the hooks.

I run a chain through the clevis on the rear of the tractor to tie down the rear.

You are correct that you need 2 chains for you small tractor. But you also need, by DOT rule, to secure the front end loader. This is a great excuse to put bucket hooks on the bucket and use them to secure the FEL. By rule you also need to secure any thing attached to the 3 point hitch such as a box blade or rotary cutter.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I chain down the front from here

and the back from these (from kens bolt on hooks) one on each side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too like the closed loop - more of a pain to run chain through but chain cannot come out until you want it to.

2014-06-25 18.01.29.jpg
20140529_073900.jpg

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
What I did was add two harbor freight hooks with the safety clips (one on each side of the frame). Hole pattern should fit perfectly in your frame (no drilling). Run the chain thru both hooks under the tractor frame and over the top of the bucket. Cross the chain into an "X".

These are 10,000 lb rated tow hooks. You're not going to break them with your B2650. Clevis thru the drawbar, and pass one chain thru it. Get some decent binders and you should be good to go.

Hooks:
Harbor Freight Hooks.JPG

Tie-down:

note, the chain is crossed just behind the loader bucket and in front of the tow hooks. This was done for two reasons...It keeps the chain away from my exhaust extension. And two, crossed chains make me happy.

New tow rig 3.JPG

New tow rig 2.JPG

Just remember to drop the clevis when using three point mounted implements...Or, you can very easily bend the stabilizer links (don't ask me how I know). ;)

YMMV.

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
What I did was add two harbor freight hooks with the safety clips (one on each side of the frame). Hole pattern should fit perfectly in your frame (no drilling). Run the chain thru both hooks under the tractor frame and over the top of the bucket. Cross the chain into an "X".

These are 10,000 lb rated tow hooks. You're not going to break them with your B2650. Clevis thru the drawbar, and pass one chain thru it. Get some decent binders and you should be good to go.

Hooks:
View attachment 79122

Tie-down:

note, the chain is crossed just behind the loader bucket and in front of the tow hooks. This was done for two reasons...It keeps the chain away from my exhaust extension. And two, crossed chains make me happy.

View attachment 79123

View attachment 79124

Just remember to drop the clevis when using three point mounted implements...Or, you can very easily bend the stabilizer links (don't ask me how I know). ;)

YMMV.
I chain mine down the same way with a 10K Lb rachet strap over the floor board added, it makes me happy as an old truck driver. More is better.

mculik5

Equipment
B2650 TLB
Sep 22, 2020
NJ
GREAT tips! Thanks everyone. My picture was taken with me holding the chain in my shop, but in real life it would be crossed under and pulling into the hook.

I really like the over the bucket suggestions, which kill two birds with one stone. Will mess around with the hooks on the inside and see what I come up with, but glad to know the hooks can be used in this way.

Very helpful, as usual! Thanks!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Hi. Just acquired an equipment trailer and am excited to be able to move my B2650 and implements to help family/friends.
Not to sound like a nanny here, but, make sure that you have the proper insurance to do so...no good deed goes unpunished.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I found out today how STRONG the factory tiedown loops on the BH of my BX23S are.....BURIED the tractor(to the floorpan..). in a oh, that's new peat bog.... sigh took 2 hrs of slugging with big tractor to yank lil orange out of the bog. probably 150-200 'yanks'.