Moving a lot of dirt with L2501

Lonesouth

Nov 24, 2021
Tallahasee
Is this hill or burm the length of your yard how ever wide that may be? I guess this would really determine whether or not I would tackle it with the L2501. You say hill 6' tall.. sounds like a pile someone placed there from extra dirt. This all plays a big role as the dirt may be packed down solid if it's a natural part of nature. If it's a pile placed there and steep.. it may just crumble down if there was no activity on it .. again this all depends on how long it's been there.
The house was built on a hill. They dug out the hill for a flat area for the site. I want to dig back the flat area another 30ish feet to expand my back yard and add another parking pad. Roughly 50' of hill to move.

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Well that helps explain your situation! So you're basically cutting into the side of a hill.. not moving a pile. This does change things.. does kind a sound like a job for an excavator. I think I got the picture but pics do help when questions like this arise.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
The house was built on a hill. They dug out the hill for a flat area for the site. I want to dig back the flat area another 30ish feet to expand my back yard and add another parking pad. Roughly 50' of hill to move.
My 2 cents - This sounds similar to a long term project that I am doing on a natural grade/ unworked area - side yard (I am on a slope as well) Granted I have a lot more rock mixed in and occasional glacial deposit boulders - ugh.

I think you are going to be extremely challenged unless your land is truly soft/sand etc I added the pirana tb and it helps a LOT; but even then for moving already accumulated material. I need the BH and some would say I am crazy to do so even then ;)

FWIW This is about 6 hours in... drop off being filled is about 8' to left and the amount dug out in back is about 4' so far

IMG_3159.jpg

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Ea tooth bar on 2501. I move alot of dirt and rock with this thing. I almost bought the EA bucket but didn't want to wait. My ag tires get pretty squishy with a full load.
PXL_20220119_165113262.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would calculate the volume of material and how many bucket loads are involved. Then try to figure how much time each load takes to move....... I believe its a daunting undertaking. Good luck.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
You can listen to those encouraging or those warning you until Christmas. Take your machine out there, and move some dirt. If it goes well, you are good to go. If you cannot make any progress, you will have to rent something (a Track Loader probably would be best/fastest).

As I stated earlier, I think you will be fine - unless the hill is made up of some of the toughest soil in Florida.

Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
There is no way you can estimate how many years of life any machine has based on usage. My local rental yard has Kubota tractors, skid steers, excavators, all with 4000+ hours. They are all beat to crap daily by renters.

There's line between working a tractor hard, as a diesel tractor is designed for, and abusing it. Same goes for all equipment. I beat up my zero turn pretty bad, and I know it will need new spindles. Moving dirt with a cut is not always abuse.
1650449768021.jpeg

"It's all good"

• Haha

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Using your numbers I get roughly 160 cubic yards of cut. Doable if its soft and not full of rock. Even then its more than I would undertake with my L3901 when I can rent a full size 4WD backhoe for $300 per day. As has been suggested start doing some digging and get a feel for what's involved. Only then can you decide if its worth the time and effort its going to take because it is going to take more than a little time.

Dan

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Using your numbers I get roughly 160 cubic yards of cut. Doable if its soft and not full of rock. Even then its more than I would undertake with my L3901 when I can rent a full size 4WD backhoe for $300 per day. As has been suggested start doing some digging and get a feel for what's involved. Only then can you decide if its worth the time and effort its going to take because it is going to take more than a little time.

Dan
I moved about 300 cubic yards of dirt, or maybe a bit more, a couple years ago. Some only 200 feet, some 300 feet. B2910 with backhoe.

I used my backhoe and have a 5x8 dump trailer my BX2200 could pull, when the grass was dry. The backhoe loaded the trailer, and the trailer dumped the dirt where I wanted.

Would I consider doing such a thing with only a loader? NO WAY.

Just digging with the backhoe on dry days took me several months and I am retired, and could work every nice day...

Just my take on it...good luck in any case...

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Have you heard the saying "ridden hard and put away wet"? Yes you can do the work with your machine, it will take longer and take a few years off it's useful life.

If it was my machine and I had a lot of dirt to move I'd prefer to rent a skidsteer or CTL instead of flogging my SCUT. It's your money.
Agree %100
Ag tractors have "material handling" loaders that were designed for moving dirt or mulch from a pile, not digging in a hillside. Next time you go to your local dealer compare an ag tractor/loader with any of Kubota's construction equipment. They don't build them heavier because they like to waste steel.
Can you dig with a ag tractor? Sure, but that's not what it was designed for. Abusing equipment always shortens it's life.
Ever wonder why you don't see farm tractors on construction sites?
I'm sure you could cut down a tree with a jack knife, but why would you want too?