Log skidding methods?

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Has anyone mounted a winch on the front of the tractor? or somehow on the back `with the backhoe on, I am thinking the backhoe grapple and a winch all at the same time would let me clear brush, skid logs and carry the logs and brush to the respective piles. without changing implements.

I am clearing large blown down spruce trees and there are some that are pretty far from the trail. I am making trails and stacking saw logs, firewood logs and brush piles. I can easily see using all three implements in the same hour.

maybe a receiver hitch mounted on the backhoe or on the loader cross beam.

maybe just a chain from the backhoe bucket to the log and curl the bucket and arm would move 6 ft at a time

are there other methods I am not thinking of?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Has anyone mounted a winch on the front of the tractor? or somehow on the back `with the backhoe on, I am thinking the backhoe grapple and a winch all at the same time would let me clear brush, skid logs and carry the logs and brush to the respective piles. without changing implements.

I am clearing large blown down spruce trees and there are some that are pretty far from the trail. I am making trails and stacking saw logs, firewood logs and brush piles. I can easily see using all three implements in the same hour.

maybe just a chain from the backhoe bucket to the log and curl the bucket and arm would move 6 ft at a time

Good day. I’ve got several thoughts but what are you trying to achieve (beyond) moving the log…what task are you trying to eliminate or are you wanting to reduce the impact on the ground? I am wondering the logs are not reachable safely for the tractor? Or too many ‘tool changes’ and like to make fewer trips?

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

You can Google 'skidding winch' for some ideas.

Most skidding winches mount on the 3PH and have a blade to engage the ground to prevent dragging the tractor around. I think those are often PTO driven. Titan has an SSQA model with hydraulic drive.

How would you transport all this equipment at one time?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

Don't drag logs using the tractor by simply attaching them to the backhoe arms and dragging with tractor movement. That will wreck your hydraulics - if a log jabs and you keep pulling the forces sent back through the BH hydraulics, which aren't under pressure, are huge, and will soon break something.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Don't drag logs using the tractor by simply attaching them to the backhoe arms and dragging with tractor movement. That will wreck your hydraulics - if a log jabs and you keep pulling the forces sent back through the BH hydraulics, which aren't under pressure, are huge, and will soon break something.
What usually occurs, when damage happens while towing with the backhoe as an attachment point, is a bend cylinder rod.
The photo is of a loader cylinder (I have a friend who did this, using forks), but the principle is the same.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One chain ,from the bucket to the tractor, then 2nd chain from bucket to the log, will safely tow the log...

overall it's a 'logistics thing', deciding HOW to clear the mess in as few steps as possible. 'trails' should be 10-12' wide now as they'll 'magically' get narrower as the years past.....

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I use a modified PENN-DOT trailer for dragging and stacking logs, I cut and split when time permits. Will handle 24" diameter logs. All manual labor but, keeps me young...LOL
Winch 1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
clear brush, skid logs and carry the logs and brush to the respective piles. without changing implements.

I am clearing large blown down spruce trees and there are some that are pretty far from the trail. I am making trails and stacking saw logs, firewood logs and brush piles.
That sounds like a skidding winch on the back for pulling things well off trails up to trails and skidding. Grapple on front to move logs and brush to their respective piles.

Reactions: 2 users

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
I have seen a setup were you basically have something like a 55 gallon plastic barrel cut in half with a chain ran through the middle which pulls the log into the barrel and that gives the log a plastic snout which allowes the log to glide along and not snag stumps and roots.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Good day. I’ve got several thoughts but what are you trying to achieve (beyond) moving the log…what task are you trying to eliminate or are you wanting to reduce the impact on the ground? I am wondering the logs are not reachable safely for the tractor? Or too many ‘tool changes’ and like to make fewer trips?
Thank you all for the replies. I have a dense brush areas with brush in the 3-4 inch diameter that I would like to use the backhoe to uproot. then grapple the brush into a burning pile. As I am doing that I would like to haul saw logs and firewood logs as I come across them to their respective piles. some of those logs may not be close to the trail. I do not necessary want to have to change equipment to skid the logs. out. so that is why I am looking at an innovative way to mount a winch type device on the tractor. It may not be possible and a foresty winch or even a electric winch may be needed

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
You can Google 'skidding winch' for some ideas.

Most skidding winches mount on the 3PH and have a blade to engage the ground to prevent dragging the tractor around. I think those are often PTO driven. Titan has an SSQA model with hydraulic drive.

How would you transport all this equipment at one time?
that is interesting i will look into that

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
What usually occurs, when damage happens while towing with the backhoe as an attachment point, is a bend cylinder rod.
The photo is of a loader cylinder (I have a friend who did this, using forks), but the principle is the same.
thank you I will be on the watch for that

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
no I would only use the back hoe to skid the log out to the tractor then use the grapple

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
One chain ,from the bucket to the tractor, then 2nd chain from bucket to the log, will safely tow the log...

overall it's a 'logistics thing', deciding HOW to clear the mess in as few steps as possible. 'trails' should be 10-12' wide now as they'll 'magically' get narrower as the years past.....
thank you that makes sense. the chain would take the strain off of the hydraulics and the cylinders. Do you use this method to skid the logs out then using a chain from the drawbar to the BH bucket and from the bucket to the tree?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thank you all for the replies. I have a dense brush areas with brush in the 3-4 inch diameter that I would like to use the backhoe to uproot. then grapple the brush into a burning pile. As I am doing that I would like to haul saw logs and firewood logs as I come across them to their respective piles. some of those logs may not be close to the trail. I do not necessary want to have to change equipment to skid the logs. out. so that is why I am looking at an innovative way to mount a winch type device on the tractor. It may not be possible and a foresty winch or even a electric winch may be needed
Oh ok, I understand what you mean. We all have a process that works for us. I use a wagon (when I can sometimes space doesn’t allow or I am limited to use small trailer with atv) and load with logs or chunked out out logs. I use a wagon instead of a trailer as it can be dropped and just as functional without loading like a trailer while on the tongue jack. In terms of the winchining operation, I think maybe a 3pt hitch would be safer on a B size machine. I have only operated one on a large machine so maybe I am not best reference with how well they do on a B(but I suspect if sized appropriately to machine and size of log they work fine) If your area has a logging show you could probably try one there. More adaptable would be a portable winch, or better yet a grip hoist. Grip hoist is awesome maybe not as fast, downfall there is the price…I suspect close to the price of the 3 pt maybe more. But you can carry them to where you want to control the pull from.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Oh ok, I understand what you mean. We all have a process that works for us. I use a wagon (when I can sometimes space doesn’t allow or I am limited to use small trailer with atv) and load with logs or chunked out out logs. I use a wagon instead of a trailer as it can be dropped and just as functional without loading like a trailer while on the tongue jack. In terms of the winchining operation, I think maybe a 3pt hitch would be safer on a B size machine. I have only operated one on a large machine so maybe I am not best reference with how well they do on a B(but I suspect if sized appropriately to machine and size of log they work fine) If your area has a logging show you could probably try one there. More adaptable would be a portable winch, or better yet a grip hoist. Grip hoist is awesome maybe not as fast, downfall there is the price…I suspect close to the price of the 3 pt maybe more. But you can carry them to where you want to control the pull from.
thank you that is exactly right, I am trying to find a new process with the new tractor. I have cut and skidded and many many (100's) cords of wood but I always did it with old farm tractors. I had a boom on an 8n that I used quite a bit. But mostly I chunked firewood and hauled it out on a wagon. skidding logs meant dirty logs and more chain sharpening, So having a new tractor with a grapple and bH I would like to take advantage of the technology and do less work than cut firewood into chunks and load a trailer. I am trying to optimize the technology to get more done with less effort as age is taking its toll.