Buying an L4701DT shuttle?

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
Does the L4701 come with a differential lock? I can't find one listed on the specs. I thought all tractors came with a differential lock.
I have the DT and, yes, has a differential lock,

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
This is one of the websites that doesn't show the L4701 as having a differential lock. Odd, because a Kubota web page.

Maybe it’s too early in the morning and I missed it but I didn’t see a differential lock listed for any of the various models. Just not a category at all.

You mentioned earlier in the thread you thought all tractors came with a differential lock. Your statement may have identified the issue with the spec sheet. Possibly a diff lock is like a steering wheel; they all have one so they don’t specifically mention it on the spec sheet.

If you’re really concerned about it maybe ask the dealer you ordered from to confirm it has a diff lock. It should have a rod like this to lock the differential.
D9EA3BC7-989F-4FDF-9C13-5C99BFE9A7A6.png

If that looks like it would be too difficult to engage, bolt on pedals are available.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
My 4701HST, delivered a month ago, has a diff lock pedal. I can't see why the DT wouldn't.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Odd thing is the two MX tractors list a differential lock. Thought it was odd, since my 92 Ford 1720 came with one.

The operators manual lists a diff lock, but not the info on the Kubota page that you would refer to when considering which tractor to buy. As I take nothing for granted, I assumed that someone proofread the pages before posting to the Kubota website, and on some models no diff lock was available. The absence of the lock was a deal breaker for me.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Odd thing is the two MX tractors list a differential lock. Thought it was odd, since my 92 Ford 1720 came with one.

The operators manual lists a diff lock, but not the info on the Kubota page that you would refer to when considering which tractor to buy. As I take nothing for granted, I assumed that someone proofread the pages before posting to the Kubota website, and on some models no diff lock was available. The absence of the lock was a deal breaker for me.
Agree taking things for granted often leads to disappointment. With the hills you’ll be dealing with 4WD and diff lock are not really optional although I have used the diff lock far less than I thought I would not having had one previously.

I don’t have mountains to deal with but do have slopes. The south side of the property is the end of a plateau. Same on the north side. In the middle is a creek bottom and a variety of cuts, springs, and swampy bottom land. The plateaus fall off rather abruptly so I am more familiar than I would often prefer with operating on slopes.

I don’t have any other Kubota’s or reasonably modern tractors to compare the stability of my L4701. The comparisons I have are a Farmall H rowcrop (only slightly less tippy than a pogo stick) and a 9N Ford. The L4701 with loaded R4 rears, no backhoe, 5’ light duty bush hog, loader running low is at least as stable as the 9N, which has loaded R1’s and no loader. As you know, slopes should be up/down to the degree possible. The 4WD with R4’s backs up slopes much better than 2WD R1’s. With loader, the L is much less prone to wheel standing when climbing slopes or pulling hard. Overall, the L has been far, far superior to the 9N operating on slopes even though the rear wheels are one position in from their widest option due to a couple of width restricted areas which are impractical to modify.

All that to say, properly ballasted with rears set appropriately and used with some reasonable sense, I believe you’ll find the L4701 to be a stable machine in comparison to other smallish CUTs. A MX5400 or 6000 may stick to the ground like a tree frog on a window; can’t speak to that. I’m reasonably sure adding a bit of complacency or bravado to the operation of any of them will cause them to roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I purchased my L4701 gear drive last September and I'm very happy with it. I had R4 tires, but for my application, I preferred the R1's and my dealer came and got the tractor and switched them out a no cost to me after I tried the R4's. While switching, I had them fluid filled and widened to the widest setting.

What I found out was that widest setting on the R1 was a little to wide for some of my implements, so i wrestled them around and moved them in by 1 setting and its perfect. It was not an overly fun job.

I did notice that the weighted tires made a huge difference in the feel with the loader and I'm sure in mowing if I would have before I had them loaded. I consider this a must.

Other options to consider- I added the rear work light from Kubota, 2 bucket hooks and one shackle and a larger tool box. I also upgraded to a woods brush bull 72.30 bush hog. I wanted pallet forks but those are pricey and so will have to wait. I don't have the BH.

It does have a differential lock, and like some have said only has a step on one side. I do miss the handle on the right fender as well. My last tractor a 3000DT had that.

Im from WV and it's hilly where I'm at now as well, I learned to operate tractors on machines that we're lesser machines than this one that you really had to watch, so I feel really stable on this one, but caution, common sense and familiarity with a new machine are still needful. But I think you'll be fine.

The only new thing for me was I never had a loader. It's not a negative but I had to be careful not to tear up the loader, or stuff around me- and be careful of my hydraulic hoses.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
I purchased my L4701 gear drive last September and I'm very happy with it. I had R4 tires, but for my application, I preferred the R1's and my dealer came and got the tractor and switched them out a no cost to me after I tried the R4's. While switching, I had them fluid filled and widened to the widest setting.

What I found out was that widest setting on the R1 was a little to wide for some of my implements, so i wrestled them around and moved them in by 1 setting and its perfect. It was not an overly fun job.

I did notice that the weighted tires made a huge difference in the feel with the loader and I'm sure in mowing if I would have before I had them loaded. I consider this a must.

Other options to consider- I added the rear work light from Kubota, 2 bucket hooks and one shackle and a larger tool box. I also upgraded to a woods brush bull 72.30 bush hog. I wanted pallet forks but those are pricey and so will have to wait. I don't have the BH.

It does have a differential lock, and like some have said only has a step on one side. I do miss the handle on the right fender as well. My last tractor a 3000DT had that.

Im from WV and it's hilly where I'm at now as well, I learned to operate tractors on machines that we're lesser machines than this one that you really had to watch, so I feel really stable on this one, but caution, common sense and familiarity with a new machine are still needful. But I think you'll be fine.

The only new thing for me was I never had a loader. It's not a negative but I had to be careful not to tear up the loader, or stuff around me- and be careful of my hydraulic hoses.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your tractor? There is one dealer literally 5 miles from my house, but I wonder if it is a good dealer or one that would be better to avoid. That would be State Equipment in Cross Lanes WV. I live in Scott Depot.

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your tractor? There is one dealer literally 5 miles from my house, but I wonder if it is a good dealer or one that would be better to avoid. That would be State Equipment in Cross Lanes WV. I live in Scott Depot.
I'm familer with State Equipment. I live in Far West Kentucky now and purchased my tractor here so I can't speak to them. However, I still have several ties in the area and have some family who have looked around and they tell me that now, one of the bigger dealers in the area is PARCS. They have multiple dealerships, not sure but i think the closest one to Scott Depot would be in Ripley. I can't give feedback on either of them, but couldnt hurt to check them both out.

I will say that I saved money by doing that very thing. I compared my closest dealer to one a little further away, but that had a larger multi location network, and I got a better deal AND better services. So that might be somthing to try if you wanted to.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
I'm familer with State Equipment. I live in Far West Kentucky now and purchased my tractor here so I can't speak to them. However, I still have several ties in the area and have some family who have looked around and they tell me that now, one of the bigger dealers in the area is PARCS. They have multiple dealerships, not sure but i think the closest one to Scott Depot would be in Ripley. I can't give feedback on either of them, but couldnt hurt to check them both out.

I will say that I saved money by doing that very thing. I compared my closest dealer to one a little further away, but that had a larger multi location network, and I got a better deal AND better services. So that might be somthing to try if you wanted to.
Thank you for the advice. I will do that.

Ripley is the closest, about 40 minutes or so. Right next door almost in WV travel terms.

Last edited: