What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sounds like a good way to get shot.
To many road rage shootings lately.
I was only about 14 when a neighbor kid (our formerly all-white neighborhood was becoming mixed race in the mid-‘60’s) pulled a .22 rifle on me. He had been outside shooting at birds on an overhead wire and I went over and told him to put it back into his house. He pointed it at my stomach and told the gathering crowd of kids (we’d been playing ball in the street) “tell him how crazy I am! Tell him! Tell him I’ll shoot him! Tell him!”
I was truly intimidated, I admit it.
So I turned my back on him as if to walk away and he turned to grin at his bro’ ….. and I spun around, grabbed that .22 and stuck the barrel down into the man-hole-cover and placed my right foot on the butt-stock and BENT that barrel 90-degrees. (the cast iron man hole cover had about a 1” hole cast in it)

It couldn’t be withdrawn from the man-hole and he had a job to get it out of the street before his father came home. I don’t know how he and his bro’ did it…but I expected his Dad to talk to my Dad about it that evening…. Nope. Nothing ever came of it.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I was only about 14 when a neighbor kid (our formerly all-white neighborhood was becoming mixed race in the mid-‘60’s) pulled a .22 rifle on me. He had been outside shooting at birds on an overhead wire and I went over and told him to put it back into his house. He pointed it at my stomach and told the gathering crowd of kids (we’d been playing ball in the street) “tell him how crazy I am! Tell him! Tell him I’ll shoot him! Tell him!”
I was truly intimidated, I admit it.
So I turned my back on him as if to walk away and he turned to grin at his bro’ ….. and I spun around, grabbed that .22 and stuck the barrel down into the man-hole-cover and placed my right foot on the butt-stock and BENT that barrel 90-degrees. (the cast iron man hole cover had about a 1” hole cast in it)

It couldn’t be withdrawn from the man-hole and he had a job to get it out of the street before his father came home. I don’t know how he and his bro’ did it…but I expected his Dad to talk to my Dad about it that evening…. Nope. Nothing ever came of it.
And the fact that he was black is of what importance? Oh, he was black. . .

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
And the fact that he was black is of what importance? Oh, he was black. . .
(BTW….I never said he was black. You made that assumption….)

I don’t know. Maybe he felt intimidated being surrounded by white kids. Maybe he felt he needed to establish he couldn’t be told what to do. (put the gun back into the house where it belonged)
His brother was older than me but didn’t do anything…just stood there.

In any case, his behavior was shocking to me as I had recently finished my marksmanship merit badge and took firearms safety seriously… so thought I should tell him to put it away. It wasn’t a “race thang”. Really wasn’t…at least not for me.

But it left a persistent impression on me …and it really raised my ire that someone who didn’t really know me would threaten me with a gun. Our parents never knew about the incident as far as I know, and we lived only two houses down on a dead-end street in south/central Houston.

I just wanted that gun destroyed and hoped he’d be in trouble with his parents when they found out about it…. Don’t know if that ever happened…but I doubt it. He probably hid it from them.

We moved about a year later as our family was still growing and needed another bedroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Ok, backing away from bending neighbor's guns in manhole covers...

So (yesterday) made what could be my last tamarack log run out of the forest before the trail becomes too soft, but we'll see if there's more frosty days ahead to keep the mud firm. Sunny days really soften things up fast, too!

IMG_20220331_153336601_HDR(1).jpg IMG_20220331_153417574_HDR.jpg IMG_20220331_155734981_HDR(1).jpg
IMG_20220331_160136437_HDR.jpg IMG_20220331_160202374_HDR.jpg

Tried taking phone vids of my tractor travels too, near the trail exit about 1/4 mile from these photos where the ground most quickly deteriorates in spring.
The ground is thankfully still frozen below the tire rutting and surface mud softening. But the frost's days are numbered.

Part 1 video shows what a second too long of paying attention to filming whilst tractoring can cause. Not a big deal, an old worn out strap snapped when that bundle nudged a tree on the right.
Reloaded and onward home in Part 2 video.

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Apparently I have been slacking on the FEL grease. Found a missing pin keeper bolt. Turned out to be a stuck/seized pin. Mapp gas torch, penetrating oil and a BFH wouldn’t move it. Round 2 tomorrow, maybe.

• Wow

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Took the snowblower/snowplow off the BX23S, and moved it out back for the warm months till next fall. Putting the loader back on took a bit of thinking about it since I rarely take it off except for the snow season.

D

Deleted member 47704

Did't do anything today but tomorrow its going to some work.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Went out to the farm, jumpstarted the tractor. Went through the fluids and checked the tractor making a list of items to service. Currently 266 hours on the tractor, so time to change the transmission oil filter.

So, I guess the next dry Saturday, will work on getting the tractor service completed, before the busy season hits.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Decided that today would be the end of the snow blowing season, so the blower came off and the FEL went on. Found out that the chainsaw/toolbox holder that I mounted to the FEL support last fall, interferes with the FEL so I will be installing a spacer to make it fit again. I’m sure we could get more snow, but I will either pack it down, or use the FEL to move it if it is a lot.

We probably have another month before the woods is dry enough to get on some of my trails. I have some trails through the pines where it is sandy, and I can always drive the tractor on those trails as they are never muddy. Looking forward to putting my new Woodland Mills WC68 to use for the first time since I received it in February.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Did the 50 hr service today. Got a tip from a service guy about blocking the hydraulic fluid vent to help slow the loss of fluid when changing the hydro filters. Worked real well, only lost 1 qt of udt including what was in the filters. The hardest part of the service was getting the engine oil filter started, lots of stuff in the way. Tightened the loader support bolts and found one missing, have to get one tomorrow.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Used the tractor to pull on a tree I had to take down. Didn't work out so well :( no it didn't fall in me or the tractor :) It just didn't fall. . .

I chained up a snatch block to a tree about 50' north of it and hooked up a pull line through it to the tractor 100' east of the block. Put a serious pull on the line.

My chain saw only has a 16" blade. Kind of a problem with an 18" diameter tree. The tree has a distinctive north lean. I made an under cut wedge on the north side before cutting on the opposite side.

Seemed to go well and when I heard that distinctive 'crack' I beat feet out of there. And there is went - until it leaned against a nearby tree. Now I have a leaner out there.

Of course it started to rain. I got a pair of wedges, doubled them up and drove them in as much as possible. A few more little cracks but no love.

Left everything in the woods with the tractor pulling on the line. No way I'm going to try taking down that support tree. When the weather clears up I'll get some long chain and a come-along and pull from a slightly different direction

• Wow

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I’m on about day 3 (hour here, hour there) of changing out a pin and 2 bushings on the backhoe dipperstick where it meets the bucket. I assume the pin has never been removed so it was a bit stuck. Along with the bushings. Heat and sledgehammers help tremendously with these types of projects. I opened the bag the bushing was in and unwrapped the paper from it to find a sneaky surprise. Man I hate those gold stickers....
16599A48-BCE7-4C75-B1BF-C2C1B7A2C6C1.jpeg
BC9BF07B-E434-423C-A473-DF12516DC85F.jpeg
1B12C3C5-4D80-4D6A-982C-B4BD5F51F787.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
My chain saw only has a 16" blade. Kind of a problem with an 18" diameter tree.

1. Chainsaws don't have "blades". They have bars and they have chains. The chains have teeth. Words matter.
  2. A 16" bar is plenty to safely down an 18" tree. It's all up to the faller.

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I opened the bag the bushing was in and unwrapped the paper from it to find a sneaky surprise. Man I hate those gold stickers....
That is bad - the bag label says Made in Japan, I guess the bag was.
I bought a glow timer on eBay. I knew it was a Chinese knock-off. When I got it, the package said Made in China. But they had copied it so exactly 'Made in Japan' was molded in the plastic case. And the label was clearer than the original.

D

Deleted member 47704

1. Chainsaws don't have "blades". They have bars and they have chains. The chains have teeth. Words matter.
  2. A 16" bar is plenty to safely down an 18" tree. It's all up to the faller.
If you want to be OCD don't be incorrect yourself , its feller not faller.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Earlier in the week I used my back blade to grade my half mile gravel road. It was getting a bit rough after several snows in the past month. Today we took it easy and used the bucket to just carry brush, leaves, and other spring yard clean up materials to the burn pile.