L4701 vs MX6000 or similar

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Have an L4701 and love it. I just put in a 3rd function with a 54 inch grapple that can go up to a 70HP. I have been thinking of moving up to something with a stronger loader and a little bit heavier. The 4701 is a 2020 and just got a new engine put in by Kabota, it still has a powertrain warranty until 2025 I believe. I think I could sell it for around 28-30. I won't do a lot of disking or mowing but have about 100 acres of woods with some pastures to maintain. Also want to plant stuff for dove but only a few acres a couple of times a year. Is upgrading to something bigger something I should do. I don't want to 10 years from now regret not going a little bigger. I love the hydrostatic so don't want to give that up for sure. I think the MX6000 or M6000 I think it is, is the biggest Hydrostatic you can get. Any thoughts from more experienced people. No hills to worry with, all flat land.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If HST is a requirement I think MX or a big L are your choices with orange. I am very biased on an MX and HST. if HST not a must, then with a property that size, I’d think about an M. I think you get a lot more machine with an M. If spousal unit was not a frequent operator I most likely would have gotten an M myself. If you step up to an M I believe you will be limited to cat 2 implement ($$$). I believe the L6060 has a bit more lift on the 3pt if that makes a difference for you uses. I would question though is MX really that big of an upgarde to what you have though? If going bigger I am not sure the increment of gain is that much that’s maybe a different question though. 🥃

Last edited:

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I don't have any experience to offer to help you in your decision, but I was wondering if you've encountered anything the 4701 doesn't handle, vs just wondering if you "should" get something bigger?

Reactions: 1 users

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
The loader is the issue just expected to be able to lift more.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If HST is a requirement I think MX or a big L are your choices with orange. I am very biased on an MX and HST. if HST not a must, then with a property that size, I’d think about an M. I think you get a lot more machine with an M. If spousal unit was not a frequent operator I most likely would have gotten an M myself. If you step up to an M I believe you will be limited to cat 2 implement ($$$). I believe the L6060 has a bit more lift on the 3pt if that makes a difference for you uses. I would question though is MX really that big of an upgarde to what you have though? If going bigger I am not sure the increment of gain is that much that’s maybe a different question though. 🥃
I bought mostly cat 2 implements for my MX but have one cat 1 implement that I use on the MX with adapter bushings. Why couldn’t the bushings also be used on the M series?

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
I bought mostly cat 2 implements for my MX but have one cat 1 implement that I use on the MX with adapter bushings. Why couldn’t the bushings also be used on the M series?
Pardon my ignorance what is a Cat 2 vs Cat 1 implement?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm a little biased too and after owning a BX25D for five years, followed by an MX6000 HST (open station) for more than a year, and finally a few months with an MX6000 HSTC (cab) I can't say enough good things about the MX series of tractors for my needs. The 6000 in particular is a lot of tractor for the money. Arguably, the L6060 is a superior tractor in just about every way but it's a jump up in cost too. The MX series provide a lot of utilitarian use without much in the way of frills, and at a reasonable cost.

That said, if I had 100 acres to maintain I would definitely take a good look at an M4 or M5. They are a completely different animal and the cost reflects that. In terms of increased capability is it worth the cost going from and L4701 to an MX6000, hard to say. Would you be getting a lot more capability with a lot more cost opting for an M4 or M5, absolutely.

@Like Tractors has an L6060 and an M5 and should be able to comment on the merits of both, the differences in capabilities and performance, and the difference in real world cost.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
I basically like the 4701 I just wish the tractor was a little heavier and had more power in the loader. I don’t need PTO hp as I won’t use it for much planting or shredding the cows take care of most of the grass. Also don’t want a cab because woods are fairly thick. Love the hydrostatic ease of maneuvering. Sales guy said I would love the Mx6000 and he really likes the 5660. I just honestly don’t know enough about tractors as this is my first.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I just went from 20 years of owning an L4300 (47/37.5 HP) to an MX6000. I've only put about 2 hours on it brush hogging but the improvement has been noticeable to me. More powerful and "solid" feeling. Wide stance helps stability as well. Overall very happy with the move.

The only thing I don't like so far with the MX is the forward/reverse pedal. Had been warned about it by a friend who used to sell them but it was not a deal breaker for me. The adjustable 3 point link arms made putting on the implement so much easier. I got one set of rear hydraulics but haven't picked a new top link for it yet - open to suggestions there.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If you like your tractor except for the loader capacity why not just keep it and get a skid loader for the loader work you want to do.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Oh they would work, but I think there is a reason cat 2 implements much stouter…generally they are also sized a little wider. I think if you want to cover the tracks of the machine (like for a small tiller or bush hog or rear blade) and use the capability of an M you will want cat 2 implements. I suspect an M would be hard on a cat one implement if it was not constructed correctly…that’s all. I am sure it would work.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
For me personally, I think if an large L is ballasted properly I don’t think an MX gives much more. If your current L isnt ballasted I’d think about. Without ballast I thought my MX was almost helpless in terms of lifting over 1k and trying to move something in uneven ground. If an L470x struggling to lift something I suspect MX may not get you what you need either. I sort of agree with Mr Ritchie with a loader or maybe a dedicated used construction TLB. I think between the o turn for mowing an L for small/hobby farm and a loader or TLB that would be an awesome collection of machines. It’s so much easier when someone else is spending 🥃

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
If an L470x struggling to lift something I suspect MX may not get you what you need either.
The MX5400 (with LA1065 loader) should be able to lift 40% more than the L4701 which isn't insignificant. That's the same step up from the standard L loader (LA535) to the 4701 loader.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Pardon my ignorance what is a Cat 2 vs Cat 1 implement?
Category 2 implements are heavier and have one inch pins. Category 1 implements have 3/4 inch pins and are lighter overall.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It’s so much easier when someone else is spending 🥃
Very true. @Jday, have you figured out the real world cost of selling your L4701 and buying an MX6000 open station? It would be interesting to know the actual cost for 40% more lift capacity, a heavier and possibly more stable machine and more HP. At the end of the day it might just come down to happiness which is one of those intangibles that is hard if not impossible to put a price tag on. All the best to you whichever way you decide to go.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Jday Its easy to spend someone else's money. I bought another quarter section of ground a few years ago from a old guy that had care kept that quarter of ground for forty years with a 1948 A JD and a trip bucket loader. Last summer when I was up grading my Agco I came real close to buying a L4701 with a FEL. It got sold out and under me and after doing a bunch more shopping I ended up buying a MX-6000 HST. I really like the tractor and wouldn't have that size tractor without HST. We all get our wants and needs mixed up I think the L4701 would take care of your 100 acres but if you can afford and want a MX-6000 sell yours and get one. In my older age sometimes my wants win out. I am glad the L4701 got sold.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Jday Its easy to spend someone else's money. I bought another quarter section of ground a few years ago from a old guy that had care kept that quarter of ground for forty years with a 1948 A JD and a trip bucket loader. Last summer when I was up grading my Agco I came real close to buying a L4701 with a FEL. It got sold out and under me and after doing a bunch more shopping I ended up buying a MX-6000 HST. I really like the tractor and wouldn't have that size tractor without HST. We all get our wants and needs mixed up I think the L4701 would take care of your 100 acres but if you can afford and want a MX-6000 sell yours and get one. In my older age sometimes my wants win out. I am glad the L4701 got sold.
Old age can take much of the sting out of pricing!

Last edited: