New Member New CUT

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Evening all,

New Member from MI, loads of great information here and awesome orange tractors. I've been lurking for a while on here and TBN and decided to create an account now that i have a deposit on my CUT.

We have 1 acre that needs quite a bit of work. Previous owners left many felled trees, brush, debris on the property and we have a ton of projects that a nice CUT would come in handy for. I was looking at a BX originally, but I keep reading about buying a size or two bigger and decided the LX would scale with us if we bought more property and still be maneuverable around our current one without being too big. I really wanted the L, but the LX should be more than enough for our current and potentially future needs. I also wanted a capable FEL and a capacity of 8-900lbs forward of the pivot pins should help with material handling and some digging/grading work. I plan on running a post hole digger, small tiller, box blade, and grapple in the future.

In our area, there are a ton of dealers that are price gouging on new units. I managed to find one within an hours drive that is setting me up with:

LX2610HST ROPS
Dual rear remotes
Filled (beet juice) R14s 17.5
Third function
54" SSQA bucket (to help with digging)

Financed for $25k OTD.

How'd I do? I had two other local quotes for $25.7 for an LX2610SU with the same options and $26.5 for an LX2610 so I thought this was a good deal considering the times.

I have a buddy who has access to a laser cutter who can fab me a grill guard an I plan to immediately purchase a tooth bar. Which one do you all recommend? I see a lot of folks run the pirana or EA bar and some others recommend the bars with actual "teeth" like on construction equipment.

Anyway, look forward to reading and learning more while I begin my tractoring journey.

Al

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Congratulations and welcome!

I think you’ll really enjoy the LX!

Mike

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sounds like you got yourself a capable tool to get your property into good shape. Don’t have a tooth bar (sometimes would be nice to have one) and haven’t bought a tractor post COVID so I’m useless to help with your questions.

Congratulations and welcome anyway!

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Thanks Mike and NCL4701! Glad to be here.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Welcome, and you will not believe how much work you will be able to get done!

As you know, it's never a bad plan to bump up sizes if your budget allows ;). That is a very capable machine and in the sweet spot. I can't comment on current pricing, But you HAVE your tractor so no second-guessing... They keep going up anyway!

FWIW I went with the pirana (cost and timing) after initially trying to make do without and it made a HUGE difference. No complaints from me after a year.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Welcome, and you will not believe how much work you will be able to get done!

As you know, it's never a bad plan to bump up sizes if your budget allows ;). That is a very capable machine and in the sweet spot. I can't comment on current pricing, But you HAVE your tractor so no second-guessing... They keep going up anyway!

FWIW I went with the pirana (cost and timing) after initially trying to make do without and it made a HUGE difference. No complaints from me after a year.
Now that's what I wanted to hear! Haha

I like the idea of having the toothbar to assist with FEL digging and also using a tiller or box blade to loosen up the areas to be dug to put less stress on the machine. most of our soil is sand/clay mixture so isn't too difficult to work with

I'll definitely keep an eye on the pirana appreciate the feedback. Agree 100% on the prices continuously going up, it's insane how much purchasing power we've lost in the last few years... That was my selling point to the boss to let me sign now. Well, that and my constant "another good reason to have a tractor is..." Statements over the last few months 😁

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have an LX2610 SU, and I went with the Piranha tooth bar on my 54 inch bucket. I am pleased with it in terms of cost and performance. FWIW, the BXpanded showed 4-6 weeks for delivery, but I received mine in 3 weeks.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Get an older used skidsteer it will do what you want better than the SCUT will
No doubt good advice above. A CUT is a compromise; all in one, master of none deal. However, it is fun and I can spend the time and enjoy improving my property at my pace. I had all of those "reasons for the boss " also and I can tell you there is SO much more! Having it really changes the way you do things.

And you are on point with the BB - that was my second eye-opening "must-have" for those activities

Last edited:

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
No doubt good advice above. A CUT is a compromise; all in one, master of none deal. However, it is fun and I can spend the time and enjoy improving my property at my pace. I had all of those "reasons for the boss " also and I can tell you there is SO much more! Having it really changes the way you do things.

And you are on point with the BB - that was my second eye-opening "must-have" for those activities
This was my reasoning for going this route, I want a 'swiss army knife' for a variety of tasks. I am excited to see how many excuses I can come up with to leverage the CUT. I'm glad I'm on the right track with the BB, I'll have to grab one of those relatively quickly before any ground work begins.

@mikester - I thought about that, older skid steers are few/far between in my area in decent condition and in the end, I'm stuck with a heavier machine that i'll only need a handful of times and costs a ton to fix (at least the older ones I can afford lol). I decided on the cut for some limited digging activities (removing about 4" of dirt/sod in roughly a 600sqft area with the aid of a BB or Tiller to put in a paver patio) and then mostly for material moving/fel work for topsoil/compost/21AA, post hole digging, box blade work, moving downed trees, etc.. I don't anticipate a ton of hours on my new CUT every year, so it should last us a very long time.

@Elliott in GA - thank you, that's 2 votes for the pirana so far. Is BXpanded the only place to order this?

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Really obvious to those that have previous experience, but for me, the bucket is the BEST heavy-duty wheelbarrow ever! Also, I moved here 12 years ago and tried spreading gravel by hand -ugh.

In looking at your goals you may want to consider pallet forks for the trees etc. I have a lot of woods & tree work etc. so I went all-in with a LP grapple & 3fxn. But you can get there "bang for the buck" with decent PF

Reactions: 2 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Evening all,

New Member from MI, loads of great information here and awesome orange tractors. I've been lurking for a while on here and TBN and decided to create an account now that i have a deposit on my CUT.

We have 1 acre that needs quite a bit of work. Previous owners left many felled trees, brush, debris on the property and we have a ton of projects that a nice CUT would come in handy for. I was looking at a BX originally, but I keep reading about buying a size or two bigger and decided the LX would scale with us if we bought more property and still be maneuverable around our current one without being too big. I really wanted the L, but the LX should be more than enough for our current and potentially future needs. I also wanted a capable FEL and a capacity of 8-900lbs forward of the pivot pins should help with material handling and some digging/grading work. I plan on running a post hole digger, small tiller, box blade, and grapple in the future.

In our area, there are a ton of dealers that are price gouging on new units. I managed to find one within an hours drive that is setting me up with:

LX2610HST ROPS
Dual rear remotes
Filled (beet juice) R14s 17.5
Third function
54" SSQA bucket (to help with digging)

Financed for $25k OTD.

How'd I do? I had two other local quotes for $25.7 for an LX2610SU with the same options and $26.5 for an LX2610 so I thought this was a good deal considering the times.

I have a buddy who has access to a laser cutter who can fab me a grill guard an I plan to immediately purchase a tooth bar. Which one do you all recommend? I see a lot of folks run the pirana or EA bar and some others recommend the bars with actual "teeth" like on construction equipment.

Anyway, look forward to reading and learning more while I begin my tractoring journey.

Al
I am finding that my ssqa adjustable pallet forks 2000# capacity were immediately indispensable, and the forks spend more time by far on the loader than my 54" bucket.

So I suggest get pallet forks, too. And start watching for good sources for free wooden pallets to have on hand.

Once you're using those forks and pallets there's not much needing storage that isn't on a pallet.
Firewood for example. My 63" snow blower. etcetcetc

Reactions: 3 users

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I am finding that my ssqa adjustable pallet forks 2000# capacity were immediately indispensable, and the forks spend more time by far on the loader than my 54" bucket.

So I suggest get pallet forks, too. And start watching for good sources for free wooden pallets to have on hand.

Once you're using those forks and pallets there's not much needing storage that isn't on a pallet.
Firewood for example. My 63" snow blower. etcetcetc
@bbxlr8 - I am definitely considering forks. It is challenging loading/unloading my truck of heavy items without it and asking the household CFO to help unload with a 2 year old running around unsupervised is a challenge as well. The Forks are on my short list!

@nbryan that's a great idea, I've gotten rid of all of our pallets but will need to hold on to a few when we have anything delivered. My garage is lined with those Costco Edsal Inustrial shelving units with 1500lb capacity each. I can bolt two together and use the SSQA forks to set my big honda snowblower and other stuff I don't immediately need on the top shelf and out of the way on pallets.

Thank you all, this forum is awesome.

I'm supposed to see my LX in a few weeks - a few weeks feels like forever...

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
IMO, great choice on the tractor! I have 11 acres and feel it is just the right size for me. It has been a beast for clearing downed trees which was main reason for purchase. With a grapple I can do in an hour what would take me a day without……all whilst not straining my back.

It sounds like you did great on the price! I got mine about a month and a half ago and paid a bit under the pricing on the Kubota site. My dealer wanted a premium for any add-on so I just went with the loader and did the 3rd function and grapple on my own.

Did you have to order of was your tractor available? Be sure to post some pics when you get it and put it to work!

(edit…..just saw your last post with the ETA. Oh, and congrats!)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Get an older used skidsteer it will do what you want better than the SCUT will
Yup!
Good point.
The OP mentions that he will be "digging", and SCUTs are not intended for "digging"!

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
@bbxlr8 - I am definitely considering forks. It is challenging loading/unloading my truck of heavy items without it and asking the household CFO to help unload with a 2 year old running around unsupervised is a challenge as well. The Forks are on my short list!

@nbryan that's a great idea, I've gotten rid of all of our pallets but will need to hold on to a few when we have anything delivered. My garage is lined with those Costco Edsal Inustrial shelving units with 1500lb capacity each. I can bolt two together and use the SSQA forks to set my big honda snowblower and other stuff I don't immediately need on the top shelf and out of the way on pallets.

Thank you all, this forum is awesome.

I'm supposed to see my LX in a few weeks - a few weeks feels like forever...
You are in the right track. In my opinion forks are more versatile than a grapple. Grapples don’t haul pallets so well. But forks can haul brush and logs. Have you Considered some lifting straps, shackles and hooks for your bucket and / or forks. 🥃

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
You are in the right track. In my opinion forks are more versatile than a grapple. Grapples don’t haul pallets so well. But forks can haul brush and logs. Have you Considered some lifting straps, shackles and hooks for your bucket and / or forks. 🥃
I have both a grapple and 2 sets forks (2 sets one for each machine). I wish one set of my forks had a thumb. And regarding lifting straps, tractor Mike has a link to what he recommends…he has some good info at his site. Specifically for the straps I have two sizes and a combination of several 3 ft and and several 6 ft seem to be the right blend to lift most things either of my machine can handle. Check out tractor mikes video on forks and straps. It will give you ideas. 🥃

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds like a 'good deal'. I'd let the dealer do the 50hr oil + filter changes . It's the most important one.

get your buddy to make the toothbar, super easy with a LASER and a LOT cheaper. Made mine from
'dumpsterdive' steel, yes, have to sharpen the teeth 2-3 times a year...only takes 10-15 minutes.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have forks, grapple, and bucket (w/o teeth). There’s some crossover in functionality but they’re all quite different. Grapple is great for moving brush, logs, light root raking, and moving trash. Grapples are relatively expensive but worth every penny if you mess with trees. If you don’t do much with trees you might could get by with just forks for infrequent brush/tree work. But forks ain’t a grapple.

Forks are good at moving stuff: setting things on shelves, loading/unloading trucks/trailers, moving anything on a pallet. They’re relatively cheap so far as attachments go. Probably one of the best bang for the buck implements. Just make sure they’re width adjustable and have enough capacity for your loader but not much more as anything over is just cutting your net capacity with overweight forks. It is pretty nice to go to the lumber yard to pick up 1000lb of Quikrete, have them set it on your truck with a forklift, and pull it off with your forklift when you get home.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The forks kick ass working with trees. Serious fun, too. I can drag a pretty big green tamarack tree around with ease using the forks. Those forks have gotten me un-stuck many times too, quickly and effectively.

It's a surprisingly maneuverable, versatile, and strong tractor.

I call it The Little Tractor That CAN.

IMG_20220308_130733840.jpg
IMG_20220308_130745230.jpg
IMG_20220308_134825441_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 5 users