Grease gun recommendation

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I

I have literally burned MILLIONS of gallons of jet fuel, and have never used even an ounce of "mo gas" in an airplane!
Fly by wire controls do not use grease!
You need to go back to ground school. Flight controls move on bearings ..which require a special low-temperature (mfr’r specified) grease…regardless of which system (wire-rope/hydraulics/electrics) tells them to move. ;)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You need to go back to ground school. Flight controls move on bearings ..which require a special low-temperature (mfr’r specified) grease…regardless of which system (wire-rope/hydraulics/electrics) tells them to move. ;)
That's nice to know!
You must be an A&P.....I am not!
Think I'll skip ground school for now!

Last edited:

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
I agree with everyone else on getting the grease gun you'll actually use. I'm partial to the pistol grip manual guns myself. The Alemite 555-E has a lever that let's you choose high volume or high pressure. Not sure if it still is, but it used to be made in USA if that is a major consideration.

If you choose to use a single, all purpose grease, I really like Castrol Pyroplex Blue. It has better specs than some moly greases, stays in place very well and resist water washout very well for a lithium based grease.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I agree with everyone else on getting the grease gun you'll actually use. I'm partial to the pistol grip manual guns myself. The Alemite 555-E has a lever that let's you choose high volume or high pressure. Not sure if it still is, but it used to be made in USA if that is a major consideration.

If you choose to use a single, all purpose grease, I really like Castrol Pyroplex Blue. It has better specs than some moly greases, stays in place very well and resist water washout very well for a lithium based grease.
Where do you find the Castrol grease? I haven’t seen that anywhere.

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
Where do you find the Castrol grease? I haven’t seen that anywhere.
It's out of stock most everywhere right now. I usually buy by the case from Amazon for work. Very hard to find single tubes, not sure why it's not more popular. It seems like really good stuff. Pep Boys shows it on their website but says check in store.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Castrol Company INfo:
  • Legal Name Castrol India Limited
Exxon Mobil, Chevron (includes Gulf, Texaco,) Conoco/Phillips, Marathon… are U.S. companies.

Last edited:

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I got myself a lube shuttle for Xmas. Put one of my LockNLube tips on it.

It's great. No mess in changing cartridges.

They make an 18v one, but it is rather pricey.

JD dealers have individual cartridges for it. Don't need to buy a case from them.

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
How much bigger in diameter are the lock n lube tips? I deal with alot of recessed zerks that a normal tip barely fits in.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How much bigger in diameter are the lock n lube tips? I deal with alot of recessed zerks that a normal tip barely fits in.
you find it to be a healthy diameter (5/8") - as someone mentioned, it can be a poor choice for those deep small hole access points.

I only have a couple of points that I cannot get the tip on (I can get all points on the BX25) those are the zerks on the pto for the MMM, the angle of the dangle makes it hard to get to with the LNL.

I have a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun using the L-N-L..... and small manual gun for those hard to get zerks.
1647124119363.png

Reactions: 2 users

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
you find it to be a healthy diameter (5/8") - as someone mentioned, it can be a poor choice for those deep small hole access points.

I only have a couple of points that I cannot get the tip on (I can get all points on the BX25) those are the zerks on the pto for the MMM, the angle of the dangle makes it hard to get to with the LNL.

I have a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun using the L-N-L..... and small manual gun for those hard to get zerks.
View attachment 76474
Thanks, looks like I'll stick to the standard tips, because I have alot of those recessed fittings and don't like to have to grab a different gun for different situations.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 76474
I have a new (unused) Lincoln pneumatic grease gun!
The requirement for available electricity, and a compressor, plus dragging a long pneumatic hose around in the dirt, is nothing short of a 1950's era nuisance in my opinion.
I love my 18V DeWalt grease gun with Lock-N- Lube.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Grease early, grease often!

I have put a case of tubes through the new Makita I picked up and it is fantastic. It has 2 speeds for real fast or high pressure, a nice bright work lite and uses all the same batteries.

makita.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY

yeah, where I used to work and had to grease tractor trailers, we used that when the barrel air grease gun wasn't working. Currently I have manual grease guns, a long handle and pistol grip, and a Makita cordless still in box. Probably get some of the Castrol grease...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Grease early, grease often!

I have put a case of tubes through the new Makita I picked up and it is fantastic. It has 2 speeds for real fast or high pressure, a nice bright work lite and uses all the same batteries.

View attachment 76507
A great looking tool!
I think somewhat nicer than my 18V DeWalt, but my DeWalt was only slightly over 1/2 the price..

Last edited:

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
yeah, where I used to work and had to grease tractor trailers, we used that when the barrel air grease gun wasn't working. Currently I have manual grease guns, a long handle and pistol grip, and a Makita cordless still in box. Probably get some of the Castrol grease...
I have the Alemite at home and a couple of generic parts store pistol grip guns at work. They will all get the job done, but the high pressure option on the Alemite is nice for those fittings that don't want to take grease easily.

I've tried a few different greases at work (golf course maintenance) including, Valvoline Crimson, Toro multi purpose (I think made by Mobil), Mystik Red, and now the Castrol Pyroplex Blue. And researched many more.

Although an aluminum complex would probably be best for me, because this equipment is exposed to water daily between wet grass and being hosed off every day, I stay with lithium because that's what comes in them from the factory and what the manufacturers recomend. And of all of those the Castol stays put the best and protects the bearings from water the best. But it can be hard to find, especially these days.

Roadweasel

Equipment
Ferris zTurn, Kubota BX23s
Oct 17, 2019
Lancaster
I tried out a cheap-o pneumatic Harbor Freight grease gun for about $20 and it works out great. I have air in my garage and barn with hose reels so it's no big deal fighting the air lines. I may pick up another gun or two for different greases. If you have air these work great for the price. Drop a cartridge in, pull the trigger and grease comes out, it not rocket science. The locking tip I put on it cost more than the gun. I still have a couple of old manual guns ones for when I need them.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I last bought a grease gun in 22 BI*. Back then you bought the metal American made grease gun at NAPA Auto parts. These days Made in America has a subjective meaning. What grease gun do you recommend for my new orange L2501 tractor?
thanks
Gary

*Before Internet
One that works.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I'm a Ryobi junkie. They came out with a battery operated grease gun a year or two ago and I was all over it. Works as it should and now its almost fun to grease the tractor. As others have said lock-an-lube is almost a must have.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Northern Tool used to have a universal gun that could use nearly any drill or impact tool, corded or cordless.
I think they've discontinued it, but similar ones are available on Amazon for around $50.
Has anyone tried one?

m7060

Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2014
london, ky
DeWalt, or Milwau

DeWalt, or Milwaukee, 18V battery powered grease gun, and with Lock-N-Lube!
Not cheap, but extremely easy to use.
I have always hated greasing, but...at 81 I REALLY hate greasing!
It is actually sorta OK now though.
I have a dewalt. I do not recommend it. I use red stickey grease. Grease leaks past the plunger seal and you end up with a tube full of grease behind the plunger which makes a mess to deal with when you pull the plunger out to replace the empty grease tube. I replaced the plunger at my expense and the new one does the same thing.