Mx6000…is it too big for what I want to do?

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
MX6000. Make the trails fit the tractor.
While my tractor is much smaller, B2650HSDC, it does have a cab. I use it in the woods a lot. I will say that most of my trails are ones that were originally made when I or the previous owner had it logged. I spend a considerable amount of time keeping my trails wide. I will admit that most of the time doing maintenance, or widening the trails I am not using the tractor to make the first pass through the woods. I have smaller equipment for that purpose. I usually trim a tree once, at the base. Then I no longer have the yearly growth of that tree to deal with. Anyway, a tractor in the woods can be done, it just takes more effort to make the trails fit the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Turbochargers are long proven technology and extremely reliable in Diesel engine applications. They provide amazing power over an engine without one with no increase in fuel usage. What’s not to like?
Turbochargers are a great way to wring additional power out of an engine if needed.
This is where the JMO part comes in. The way that I use my tractor, the l4760 with that displacement engine does not need a turbocharger. The hydrostatic plus drive and additional features like high range, and stall guard work very well and keep the engine in the correct operating range. I lose traction before my engine bogs down. So I get an engine block and rotating assembly that is capable of higher H.P. but is de-tuned by not having the turbocharger. I should get great reliability and engine life. As an added bonus, My engine is less complex and has less potential points of failure.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Turbochargers are a great way to wring additional power out of an engine if needed.
This is where the JMO part comes in. The way that I use my tractor, the l4760 with that displacement engine does not need a turbocharger. The hydrostatic plus drive and additional features like high range, and stall guard work very well and keep the engine in the correct operating range. I lose traction before my engine bogs down. So I get an engine block and rotating assembly that is capable of higher H.P. but is de-tuned by not having the turbocharger. I should get great reliability and engine life. As an added bonus, My engine is less complex and has less potential points of failure.
You have a great engine and I’m not criticizing it. I was responding to comments about avoiding turbocharged engines. They are simple and reliable (on Diesel engines, not gasser engines). At the high elevation where I live, turbos are highly desired because the elevation robs power of engines without turbos.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Expense.

SDT
What expense? Upfront maybe, but after the fact ... not in my experience. I've had and have cars and trucks with turbos with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Heck, my wife and I had two turbos apiece in a pair of Audi Allroads that went and went and went without a single $ of expense related to turbos, intercoolers, hoses, waste gates etc. I've never had a turbo related expense other than as stated the upfront cost. They're incredibly well proven technology with excellent reliability and longevity.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I like the MX, great value.

Can I ask how many acres you have? How tight are your trees in the woods?

Unless you have $$ to burn, or really need the better 3PT system and HST+ on the L60 I would go MX. I am partial to the HST+ treadle pedal and wanted external hydraulic 3 PT cylinders so I went with the L60. The lift capacity different between MX6000 and L6060 isnt much.

WoodsRanger

Equipment
MX6000
Jan 9, 2022
Alabama
I am shopping for a new tractor to do mainly grapple work along hedge rows, cutting new trails in the woods, getting logs out of the woods for cutting firewood, Clearing some small overgrown fields for a food plot. Some brush hogging. Basically, This tractor will be used for a little bit of everything. I want a cab model because I want to be able to enjoy the tractor as much as possible.

I am between a L4060 or MX series tractor. I am interested in the MX because of the larger loader capacity over the 4060, however I know it is bigger than the 4060. My question is, is the MX too big for this work? Will it be too cumbersome for cutting trails and logging?

any feedback would be appreciated
I hope it’s not too big, I've got one coming next week for the exact same kinna work! :oops:

Psufan

Equipment
Tbd
Dec 30, 2021
Pa
just wanted to close the loop on this. After Much research, I ordered a cabbed L4760. Really looking forward to it. Now the wait…..

thanks to all who provided input.

Reactions: 2 users