safety gear when taking down trees

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks for all the replies. After looking at several helmet specs I ordered the Kask Zenith Combo.

Reactions: 1 user

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Thanks for all the replies. After looking at several helmet specs I ordered the Kask Zenith Combo.
Excellent choice. Be safe.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I cut lots of logs for firewood every year, due to blowdown, I have to cut up 20+ ( last year 80) trees every year. I use a forestry helmet, with ear protection and face screen. I usually wear protective glasses also.( keeps dust out of your eyes) I’ve been whacked across the face with branches many times. They just whip around, even while limbing. I want to enjoy my retirement, not be crippled by it. PPE and a bit of common sense goes a long way

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Good thing I had backed away when it started to fall.
One of the FIRST things they teach regarding felling trees is to PLAN AN ESCAPE ROUTE. Even if it means spending 10 minutes clearing brush before staring the cut. Be prepared to drop the saw and run.

As it fell, the top hit a limb in an adjacent tree. It was weak enough that it broke in the middle. The top jack-knifed and fell right on the stump.
Another lesson is to LOOK UP before and during cutting. Be aware of interactions with other trees as things move.

Reactions: 1 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
One of the FIRST things they teach regarding felling trees is to PLAN AN ESCAPE ROUTE. Even if it means spending 10 minutes clearing brush before staring the cut. Be prepared to drop the saw and run.

Another lesson is to LOOK UP before and during cutting. Be aware of interactions with other trees as things move.
I look, clear the evac area, step back and look again, make the front horizontal cut, step back and look, make the front angled cut to remove the wedge, step back and look, then cut the back about half of what I think it will take to drop it. Step back for a final look and double check any changes in wind, then finish the back cut till she drops. If you take the time to look hard enough you can usually spot a problem before it happens.
I know I'll regret it later, but I don't use over the ear hearing protection. I like to listen for creaking, cracking, wind, my spotter yelling something, etc. I just don't feel as aware with muffs on.
If it's live, I'll usually climb it with spikes and limb it as I climb. Clean up the mess with pallet forks, then start the dropping process. Dead tress are a whole different ballgame. I won't climb those.
Good luck.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I've cleared a couple of acres of woods on my property in the past 2 years, all by hand with chainsaw, and then using my L2501 for the cleanup and burning and moving logs around for firewood. For all the chainsaw working and tree felling the only protective gear I have used is disposable earplugs, because hours on a chainsaw can ruin your hearing, and I wear my normal prescription glasses ( a separate pair though that I use just for outside work) and these help keep anything from getting in my eye. I do not use any helmet, face shield, or pants. I know some folks who put on a full suite of gear just to cut down one tree. I wont speak against safety measures or people who do all of that, but I personally just don't want to wear all that when Im working. I wear a ball cap to help absorb sweat and keep sun out of my eyes a little. For big pine tree's I had to take down near my house I had to rent a Boom lift that would go up to 85 feet. I did buy a harness and lanyard for when I have used that. I have probably taken down 35 or 40 trees using the boom lift now on 3 separate rental occasions. I have a little fear of heights so working up that high always makes me feel a little anxiety, so a harness and lanyard helped with that some. That bucket can occasionally rock around up there and it can feel unsettling at times.

My biggest safety advice I would give anyone who undertakes this kind of job solo as I have is to simply be aware of your surroundings. Every tree I take down I take a moment to look it up and down and just make quick assessments. Do I see any dead or weak limbs that may fall on my head? Where is most of the weight on the tree? Where is it likely to fall? After doing so many trees at this point Ive gotten pretty good about getting them to fall almost exactly where I want them to go. You really need to be able to look at a tree and see where the weight is likely going to take the tree. This can be a little deceiving sometimes. The tree may look like it is leaning one way slightly, but have big limbs on the opposite side for example that have so much weight they counter the slight lean you see form the ground - stuff like that. Either way just be aware. The vast majority of trees Ive taken down are super easy, and require no real study, as it doesnt matter how they fall really. Up near my house and close to powerlines is where It gets more critical, obviously. Just using common sense and being aware is the best safety. Many would likely critisize me heavily for not wearing a hard hat and other equipment, and I understand that. Ive not handle a single incident at this point though. 9 times out of 10 though cutting down all the trees I have isnt even the slightest bit of a risky fell. Its easy to see where its going down, and its cut and on the ground in 5 minutes. Short of doing something just really stupid, the risk most of the time is almost zero.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
It's all about your risk tolerance. My very good friend David and I rode 10's of 1000's of miles together. The kid never saw him and he never saw the kid that hit him. He rode a wheelchair the last 20 years of his life.
I always wore a kevlar jacket with substantial spinal protection. He didn't. If only. . .

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I use the Stihl forestry helmet and chaps. I went to the chaps after seeing a guy come it in shorts with his leg looking like it had been through a meat grinder. He told me that he was leaving a job and his crew had a big limb across the road where they were working. He decided to just buck the limb right quick and didn’t put on his chaps. The saw kicked back on him and got his left leg. Lucky he didn’t lose his leg.

As for the helmet, the protection is great. No more choking on wood chips when I’m using my Stihl 661 having sawchips and dust coming back in my face when I’m cutting up large diameter trunks. Even though I always check for widowmakers, I’ve had some smaller limbs smack my helmet while I was working at the base of the tree.

And the dead trees, I hate them. Two weeks ago I had one that was rotten in the center and it did a barber chair on me. it was a hard leaner and I had a 5:1 mechanical advantage or I would have lost it into a portable shelter nearby.