My first tractor - Need guidance

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
Hi,

My name is Pete. I live in Bolar, Virginia. Bolar is very close to the border of West Virginia in the Allegheny mountains. So my property is very rarely flat. I live on 25 acres, part of which is very steep mountain. I bought it almost a year ago. It is very overgrown and was not taken care of by the previous owners, who were elderly.

I am in need of a tractor. I have done research on this for about year now.

I have inquired at a dealership near me about a 2021 new Kubota 2501 DT package deal. Tractor, 5' box scraper, FEL + quick attach bucket, 5' rotary cutter, rear remote, 3rd valve, R14T tires, liquid in tires, adjustable links for 3 point hitch, and 18' equipment trailer.

I'll be buying more implements as time goes on, such as grapple, pallet forks, post hole digger, etc.

I am concerned with the price of the package deal. I am still waiting on the actual price from the dealer but so far it looks like they are going to be asking for around $38k financed. This seems a little high to me.

What is your thought on the price?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: 1 user

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Hello
Compare it with the MSRP on the builder on the website - you’ll have to come up with your own price on the trailer.

Are you sure you’re buying enough tractor for the type of work you’re planning? I’m not suggesting you’re not, it’s a good question to ask yourself before you sign.

Reactions: 1 users

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
I have done the build on Kubota USA, but I can't add most of the add-ons.

The one thing I noticed is that the dealer wants to charge me $650 for the r14 tires, but the builder on Kubota website does not charge for those tires. Is this normal?

I do think the tractor is good for my purposes. I think its just right. I am open to any suggestion, however.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Does the dealer have the tractor available on the lot or will it have to be ordered? Seems like most are having to have the equipment ordered with a 3+month or longer for delivery of the equipment.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Bmeyers is giving you great advice. I just purchased a l4060 tractor Fel in febuary.
I wanted a slightly smaller tractor but was told a year wait. I needed to do work this year though not next spring.
I did the Kubota Usa thing as well. I called my dealer out on some stuff. For example, Kubota has a cash discount. The dealer ommitted that at first. Then was oh your right. The supply chain sucks right now.
Dont be afraid to ask them about the tire price. To explain it because you are correct the industrial tires are the same price as the others. Are they charging to put the fluid in them maybe ?
Good luck but there are many places selling current inventory packages on the internet with shipping. Your dealer should want your buisness. For compariosons look at equipment trader website.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi,

My name is Pete. I live in Bolar, Virginia. Bolar is very close to the border of West Virginia in the Allegheny mountains. So my property is very rarely flat. I live on 25 acres, part of which is very steep mountain. I bought it almost a year ago. It is very overgrown and was not taken care of by the previous owners, who were elderly.

I am in need of a tractor. I have done research on this for about year now.

I have inquired at a dealership near me about a 2021 new Kubota 2501 DT package deal. Tractor, 5' box scraper, FEL + quick attach bucket, 5' rotary cutter, rear remote, 3rd valve, R14T tires, liquid in tires, adjustable links for 3 point hitch, and 18' equipment trailer.

I'll be buying more implements as time goes on, such as grapple, pallet forks, post hole digger, etc.

I am concerned with the price of the package deal. I am still waiting on the actual price from the dealer but so far it looks like they are going to be asking for around $38k financed. This seems a little high to me.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
IMHO, package deals are rarely a good deal!
I would suggest that you buy the tractor, with FEL and Q/A bucket, rear remoteS (2), third function, etc. from the dealer, and source your rotary cutter and trailer elsewhere.
Package deal trailers and rotary cutters from a dealer, will usually be the cheapest stuff he can find.....,NOT the best!

Have you considered the Kubota Cutting Horse Assn. deal?
Apparently, you can join the Cutting Horse Assn. (no cost), and be automatically eligible for a 20% Kubota tractor discount.
Many have done this.

Last edited:

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I would suggest that you buy the tractor, with FEL and Q/A bucket, rear remoteS (2), third function, etc. from the dealer, and source your rotary cutter and trailer elsewhere.
Package deal trailers and rotary cutters from a dealer, will usually be the cheapest stuff he can find.....,NOT the best!

Apparently, you can join the Cutting Horse Assn. (no cost), and be automatically eligible for a 20% Kubota tractor discount.
Many have done this.
Wow....never knew that. Agree on the package deals. Im not a Landrpride fan. Bought a Rhino heavy duty box blade new at a plain implement dealer saved 30 percent over much lighter Landpride from the dealer.
Kubota is awesome brand but not all dealers are the same was more my point.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
So my property is very rarely flat. I live on 25 acres, part of which is very steep mountain. I bought it almost a year ago. It is very overgrown and was not taken care of by the previous owners, who were elderly.

Kubota USA has the tractor at $23653 (w/o ballast). R14 costs about $700 on the website, more with rimguard and most dealers wont let a tractor leave w/o rim guard or wheel weights. Adjustable 3 pt quick links are a few hundred. Trailer prices are anywhere from $3000 to $5000 depending on the build quality and weight limit- consider no less then 10000 lbs weight capacity- haul logs, vehicles, your small dozer/excavator :). remotes and and 3rd function valve are about $2300, and the box blade and 5' rotary cutter are about $3000 depending on make. Then there is the dealer time to assembly your tractor.

-Where most of your property is Hillside you would probably want something with a wider stance-either wheel spacers or a bigger tractor. You might consider a bigger tractor with wheel spacers.
-To run a 5 foot rear mower you will need adequate horsepower to your PTO. the 2501 puts out enough to run it but is likely to bog down unless you mow often.
-Lift capacity is limited to about #1500 low and <#900 high.
-If you are thinking that you want no tier 4 stuff then consider used and go bigger and don't be worried about looking at other brands.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
When looking at the costs, your dealer will include (if you want it, and you should) the cost of the KTAC insurance in the total. The cost of the KTAC over the term of financing will be a couple of thousand.
Until you get a line item proposal, you may not be able to really assess the value of the deal.

Could be the dealer is planning on a really good trailer and heavy duty (for the size of the tractor) rotary cutter - or not.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Any reason why you want the DT vs the HST? Based on your description, seems like the HST would be more suitable for your uses

Reactions: 2 users

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
Many have done this.
I've seen the discount listed but never thought about joining. We are considering a new tractor this year. Great advice. This discount is good through Dec 2022.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I've seen the discount listed but never thought about joining. We are considering a new tractor this year. Great advice. This discount is good through Dec 2022.
I just got my membership card the other day, just in case I get an itch this year.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
I just got my membership card the other day, just in case I get an itch this year.
i just signed up. When I spoke with our local K dealer in January and I asked about special promotions, this one was left out of the discussions.

Last edited:

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
i just signed up. When I spoke with our local K dealer in January and I asked about special promotions, this one was left out of the discussions.
I hear you. Spent 42k cash out the door in February, this was never mentioned to me either.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia

Many have done this.
Thank you so much for this advice!! I just signed up.

Do we have to wait for the card to come in the mail? How do I use the membership to get the discount?

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
Kubota USA has the tractor at $23653 (w/o ballast). R14 costs about $700 on the website, more with rimguard and most dealers wont let a tractor leave w/o rim guard or wheel weights. Adjustable 3 pt quick links are a few hundred. Trailer prices are anywhere from $3000 to $5000 depending on the build quality and weight limit- consider no less then 10000 lbs weight capacity- haul logs, vehicles, your small dozer/excavator :). remotes and and 3rd function valve are about $2300, and the box blade and 5' rotary cutter are about $3000 depending on make. Then there is the dealer time to assembly your tractor.

-Where most of your property is Hillside you would probably want something with a wider stance-either we will spacers or a bigger tractor. You might consider a bigger tractor with we will spacers.
-To run a 5 foot rear mower you will need adequate horsepower to your PTO. the 2501 puts out enough to run it but is likely to bog down unless you mow often.
-Lift capacity is limited to about #1500 low and <#900 high.
-If you are thinking that you want no tier 4 stuff then consider used and go bigger and don't be worried about looking at other brands.
Thank you for this advice about the spacers!

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
When looking at the costs, your dealer will include (if you want it, and you should) the cost of the KTAC insurance in the total. The cost of the KTAC over the term of financing will be a couple of thousand.
Until you get a line item proposal, you may not be able to really assess the value of the deal.

Could be the dealer is planning on a really good trailer and heavy duty (for the size of the tractor) rotary cutter - or not.
The trailer is a really nice trailer. I just looked it up. Orange line TH70-18 is the brand and model. The rotary cutteris Land Pride RCR1260.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
Any reason why you want the DT vs the HST? Based on your description, seems like the HST would be more suitable for your uses
The cost is the determining factor here. I am not opposed to either but the DT is the easiest to come by as they have them on the lot. No wait time on that. And the price.

I'll mostly be using the tractor with the cutter to maintain the property.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I just helped my neighbor install one inch spacers on his L3901. Kubota dealer told him you cannot put spacers on or the warranty will be voided.

I told him to call the dealer back and ask them why the spacers show as an option on the Kubota build site and why Neil talks about installing them in one of his videos.

They ordered him the wheel spacers. Needed the one inch for clearance of the rear tire chains.

Reactions: 2 users