2006 L2800 4wd Std always started 1st try, then third try, now won't start

JSquare

Equipment
2006 Kubota L2800 4WD std
Jan 26, 2022
Washington, TX
Hello. Always reliable starting L2800 (first turn). Replaced old battery in the fall. After that, it would not start right off but on second or third turn. Then it would run a bit rough then warm up. After that it was harder and harder to start and now won't start. It did rumble as if it would start but would not, or if it did, immediately die. Now it won't even do that. Seemed like a fuel issue/lack of fire to me so cleaned Fuel filter, made sure flexible lines were clear, bled lines. No change. Started reading threads here at Orange Tractor Talks. Replaced glow plug relay, key switch. Starter turns, no catch. Cleaned all electrical contacts i could find and the fuses/fuse block. Checked each electrical component with fuse in/out. All worked when in, not otherwise. If i turn the key in one motion past the first stop the engine will fire, blow some black smoke, immediately die. Does this ring any bells for anyone as to what might be the issue? Seems it should be something I can figure out versus having to get it on a trailer somehow and get it to a shop. Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
You mentioned it started with a battery change but not if you had check or tested the battery. Maybe a bad battery. Shows 12v till you put a load on it. I’d start with that if you haven’t already.

JSquare

Equipment
Jan 26, 2022
Washington, TX
You mentioned it started with a battery change but not if you had check or tested the battery. Maybe a bad battery. Shows 12v till you put a load on it. I’d start with that if you haven’t already.
Yes, thought of that right off but the battery checked out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have an issue with the stop/ run solenoid.

Do you have the WSM (aka service manual)?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks! I will take the readings, let you know. Seems straightforward, but then again, I have said that about other things . . .
The last L2800 owner with problems like yours found the OPC timer was not providing power to the solenoid and the first test in the two I provided showed this.

OPC timer

Dave

JSquare

Equipment
Jan 26, 2022
Washington, TX
Sent you a copy of the WSM.
Got it. Thank you! Got side-tracked yesterday. Going to run the checks today. A couple of questions before I start. 1. On the first test of the wiring to the stop solenoid, will I need to activate the seat sensor by holding it down with something? 2. If the voltage is not coming to the stop solenoid, is there a way to jump past the OPC timer, seat switch, etc. to isolate the issue? Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes all the tractors are the same.
Yes if you want to test the whole system you'll need to jump or activate the seat switch.
Yes you can jump the stop solenoid relay to test just from it to the solenoid.

Note: On most of these models the Fuse for the stop relay / solenoid is under or around the radiator on the right hand side.
Start there!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the fuse is blown, 90% of the time it point to a shorted out stop solenoid.

FYI: I double checked, the "stop solenoid" is actually a "run solenoid" on this model, thus it does need to work in order for it to run.