New to Tractor Operating

dmille10

Equipment
LX2610 (loader, 60" MMM, Virnig Grapple)
Dec 20, 2021
southern PA
Hi everyone, I recently got an LX2610 and I'm trying to move some logs (8-12" diameter) around my property with some chains. I have what I believe is a 5/16" chain that's about 25 ft long. I want to pull them from the back. Any idea how to rig the chain to the rear? And maybe what kinds of hooks or hardware would I need? Any help is appreciated.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
At the back of your tractor, between the arms that are adjustable you (hopefully) find a drawbar with a hole in the end. It will be protruding out a few inches. Get a clevis and put the bolt through the hole and your chain on the loop of the clevis.

If you don't have that drawbar I'd suggest getting one from your dealer. That is the safest way to pull an object because it is low and won't let your tractor flip over backwards.

Reactions: 6 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi everyone, I recently got an LX2610 and I'm trying to move some logs (8-12" diameter) around my property with some chains. I have what I believe is a 5/16" chain that's about 25 ft long. I want to pull them from the back. Any idea how to rig the chain to the rear? And maybe what kinds of hooks or hardware would I need? Any help is appreciated.
Do not pull from any point above the axle. You should have a drawbar just below the PTO shaft for jobs like this. Stick a big Azz clevis in one of the holes and run your chain through it. Adjust the working length of the chain as needed by moving the grab hook on the chain closer to or farther away from the tractor.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
This is what I use:
IMG_20210203_153858868 (1).jpg

I have since changed the chain to a 16' 1/4" grade 70 (this 3/8" pictured is HEAVY to operate...) with one end a grab hook and the other a slip hook.

Ordered receiver adapter from amazon. Amazon.com: MAXXHAUL Standard 3-Point Hitch Adapter for Trailers & Farm Equipment with Category 1 Pins & 2" Hitch Receiver : Automotive

I also move where the lift links arms attach to the lower draft link, to the forward lift holes which gives the 3-point hitch a larger range of motion up and down. Note this also reduces it's lift capacity a little, but won't notice when lifting and dragging logs. Don't forget to return to rear holes after removing the receiver adapter as that could mess with other implements' operation.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep - clevis on the DB just like D2Cat said. Great place to start...we'll call that skidding 101.....

nbryan's rig is skidding 201, and could cause some grief for a new operator. Don't rush there just yet...note Dan's comment about pulling from below the axle.

You want the log chained close to the tractor for control, not dragging/rolling around 15 feet back. "Hook it short!!!.."....can still hear my father hollerin' that.

Your 25' chain will be plenty long enough. Might consider a couple short ones in it's place. You'll figure that out in time. 5/16" is a good size for the task.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dmille10

Equipment
LX2610 (loader, 60" MMM, Virnig Grapple)
Dec 20, 2021
southern PA
Thanks everyone, I'll go out and get a clevis and a grab hook. What kind of dimensions should I be looking at for those? (I looked and I do have a drawbar)

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Yep - clevis on the DB just like D2Cat said. Great place to start...we'll call that skidding 101.....

nbryan's rig is skidding 201, and could cause some grief for a new operator. Don't rush there just yet...note Dan's comment about pulling from below the axle.

You want the log chained close to the tractor for control, not dragging/rolling around 15 feet back. "Hook it short!!!.."....can still hear my father hollerin' that.

Your 25' chain will be plenty long enough. Might consider a couple short ones in it's place. You'll figure that out in time. 5/16" is a good size for the task.
Yes indeed OP, keep the pulling below the axle and close to the tractor rear, or wheelies will ensue. HST trannies make it easier to control. My rig gets chained tight as possible on top of the log with the 3point lowered of course, and it gets raised only enough to help keep the front of the log(s) from easily catching the ground as I slowly pull. I only fully raise the 3point to help "set" the chain tightly before taking off with it mostly lowered.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks everyone, I'll go out and get a clevis and a grab hook. What kind of dimensions should I be looking at for those? (I looked and I do have a drawbar)
Clevis large enough you can thread the grab hook through it. What sort of hooks are on the end of your chain?

Dan

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

I agree with this, but even better than a chain is a log choker cable. They are made for this purpose and grip the log better. I have one that I found in the woods. They are also easier to hook and unhook and they slide over rocks and limbs better than a chain. I use mine whenever I skid anything: logs, lumber, brush.

Last edited:

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I have the same machine and had the same situation. Measure the diameter of the holes in the drawbar and also the thickness of the db. I went to tractor supply and was able to find a clevis that fit.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I do A LOT of skidding behind my tractor, snowmobile, atv, etc....

not knowing the grade of you 5/16 chain I will guess grade 70 (gold color) which is very common in transport industry with WLL 4,700 pounds so plenty strong for your tractor size
chain working load limits

on 1 end I would add a choker hook to use on the log end. Looks like this. Which will tighten on log when you pull.

Image result for choker hook Winch Choker Chain 5/16 x 7' & Choker Hook w/Steel Probe Stake 14 Long Grade G70 Load Limit # 2 Ton | Log Forestry Loggi...

other end of chain I would not have a hook at all.

on the tractor I would mount a TRACTOR DRAW BAR GRAB hook. Simply drop the choker chain end w/o the hook into the grab hook slot on any link you want to make any length (less than a second) then drive away. bushings are super cheap to make draw bar hole match the size of the hook pin.
Image result for grab hook
tractor draw bar hook from www.amazon.ca

Drawbar and Toplink Bushings | Clamps | Hitch | Farm Supplies | Agriculture  Parts | Herschel Parts

64.038.002 - Tractor Draw Bar Hook, 9000 lb Rated : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn  & Garden

all easily available at tractor or rigging supply stores. (or internet.)
If you don't want to use a draw bar you could use the 3pt. hitch and use a trailer mover or 3 pt draw bar to give you lift when needed
Draw Bars & Hooks tractor drawbar | Tractor 3pt Hitch Drawbar Stabilizer | Tractor  accessories, Tractor attachments, Tractors

after many years I found this works best for me when the grab hook is on the 3pt trailer mover and used carefully.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Lots of good advice above…I’d be thinking about use the hydraulics to lift the butt end just a little or it may dig in…or if you have a piece of tin or something the butt end can slip in might help you…I would not get too happy with the throttle if your first time…if it feels a little light in the front you can always grab a scoop of something for some front weight.

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
FWIW, I bought this for my LX2610 draw bar (link below). It works fine for my 5/16" chain. The fit is a bit tight so you might have to tap it in place, but I think that's mostly paint/powder coat thickness getting in way of the clevis opening.

I also went with something similar to nbryan (skidding 201) above so I could lift the front of the log slightly and avoid the plowing effect of skidding a log 100% on the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y75OLK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_produ

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Buy more grab hooks than you think you will need. I cut a 25 foot chain into several smaller lengths. Why man handle a long heavy chain when a short one works just as well.
Like most, I drop the draw bar over the log and lift it just a little so I do not trench the yard.
Long chain on lower draw bar if I need to drag from a distance due to poor positioning.
Low and slow !

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Why not use a choker cable instead of chain like the professional loggers do?

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Be careful dragging logs uphill. I was dragging a large stump uphill and part of the trail was not directly uphill. The stump shifted and I could feel the tractor start to shift as well. My new rule is to not drag heavy loads sideways on a hill.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I agree with this, but even better than a chain is a log choker cable. They are made for this purpose and grip the log better. I have one that I found in the woods. They are also easier to hook and unhook and they slide over rocks and limbs better than a chain. I use mine whenever I skid anything: logs, lumber, brush.

Thanks for this link. Been looking for something like this.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
This is what I have done with my BX. Seemed to work fairly well. Chain around the log and then over the hook on the combo hitch.
IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for this link. Been looking for something like this.
Chokers come in various cable thicknesses and lengths. They are much easier to use than chains for log skidding ( it’s all they are designed for).