New guy here...a few questions if you have a moment.

killerv

Equipment
Grand L
Jan 25, 2022
Ga
Matt from Ga

Been wanting one for years but finally ran across what I felt was a good deal on a nice used tractor and took the plunge.

Anyway, 2006 L4330 HST with 272 hours.

I have all the service records with it. Seems typical oil change, check fluids, etc every year.

Records show hst/hydraulic filter and fluid change at 122 hours back in Nov '12. HST/Hydraulic filters changed again in '15. I guess topped off/checked at every yearly maintenance.

Since there has only been 150 hours on it since, should I still go ahead with replacing the fluid? Maybe also hydraulic filters, a little less than 100 hours on those. Where is the best place to buy online these components, my local kubota shop told me the UDT fluid is 32 bucks a gallon if I bought from them. Seems high.

It's last oil change was Oct '20, it has been used 15 hours since then. Recommend another oil change or just check it and go? They have been using 15w-40, any certain brand that is best for a kubota, is full synthetic advised?

I'd like to start doing some mowing soon, I figured a good grease job is needed regardless.

Only major repair I see in records was a new clutch at about the 210hr mark back in 2017. Dont know if it was froze up from sitting from non use or what. Other records show he was advised to use tractor more after a brake pistol froze up.

Any advice, tips is appreciated. From what research, videos I've come across, these tractors seem real easy to work on, outside a stuck bolt or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
You seem awfully young to be riding a tractor that size . . . ;)

j/k........welcome to the madness !

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Matt, welcome to the forum. First step is acquire a Service Manual for your tractor. This is the manual, usually a 3 ring binder, that the techs have access to for detail information/specs.

It looks like the tractor was well taken care and serviced plenty. The HST fluid I'm pretty sure needs to be changed out at 400 hr interval. When you change out the fluids I'd recommend going to you local dealer and purchasing fluids there. Help to keep them in business and they be there for assistance, products and advise. When you divide the cost by the time you use the machine and then knowing you have the correct product provide peace of mind. Enjoy you machine.

Reactions: 9 users

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Matt, welcome to the forum. First step is acquire a Service Manual for your tractor. This is the manual, usually a 3 ring binder, that the techs have access to for detail information/specs.

It looks like the tractor was well taken care and serviced plenty. The HST fluid I'm pretty sure needs to be changed out at 400 hr interval. When you change out the fluids I'd recommend going to you local dealer and purchasing fluids there. Help to keep them in business and they be there for assistance, products and advise. When you divide the cost by the time you use the machine and then knowing you have the correct product provide peace of mind. Enjoy you machine.
Good advice!

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
A number of dealers will sell the WSM (work shop manual) for about $15 as a PDF on a thumb drive but the same manual printed for a 3 ring binder is more than $100...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Matt from Ga

Been wanting one for years but finally ran across what I felt was a good deal on a nice used tractor and took the plunge.

I have all the service records with it. Seems typical oil change, check fluids, etc every year.

Records show hst/hydraulic filter and fluid change at 122 hours back in Nov '12. HST/Hydraulic filters changed again in '15. I guess topped off/checked at every yearly maintenance.

Since there has only been 150 hours on it since, should I still go ahead with replacing the fluid? Maybe also hydraulic filters, a little less than 100 hours on those. Where is the best place to buy online these components, my local kubota shop told me the UDT fluid is 32 bucks a gallon if I bought from them. Seems high.

It's last oil change was Oct '20, it has been used 15 hours since then. Recommend another oil change or just check it and go? They have been using 15w-40, any certain brand that is best for a kubota, is full synthetic advised?

I'd like to start doing some mowing soon, I figured a good grease job is needed regardless.

Only major repair I see in records was a new clutch at about the 210hr mark back in 2017. Dont know if it was froze up from sitting from non use or what. Other records show he was advised to use tractor more after a brake pistol froze up.

Any advice, tips is appreciated. From what research, videos I've come across, these tractors seem real easy to work on, outside a stuck bolt or something.

Kubota seems to have a promotional discount on their SUDT-2 hydraulic fluid every Spring.
I bought 2 - 5 gal pails of SUDT-2 from a kubota dealer last Spring for $100 each.
Call your local dealer and ask when he will have an
Matt from Ga

Kubota corporate seems to offer an SUDT-2 discount each Spring.
I bought 2- 5gal pails last Spring for $100 each.
Check with your dealer for an upcoming promo.

I bought Baldwin filters on-line, but Kubota branded filters (Kubota does not MAKE filters) may only cost slightly more, if you prefer that look.

I am using (Rotella) 15W-40, and that should be just fine for you.
Cold weather owners will likely insist that synthetic is better, and it probably is better for them.

A 2006 Kubota with only 272 hours is a great find!
I bought a 2006 Kubota L48 TLB 3 years ago with only 251 hours.
Wonderful machine, and is now apparently worth 30%+ more than I paid.

Be aware that there should be a manual clutch disengage hook on your tractor.
If the clutch disengage hook was not engaged during humid weather storage, the clutch plates likely rusted together. (So. Georgia can get a bit humid I am told)
If you do not have such a hook, a plain block of 2x4 will work.
The idea is to block the pedal to prevent the clutch faces from sticking/rusting together when in storage.

Last edited:

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Matt from Ga

Welcome to the site Killerv ... Seeing as you just acquired the tractor used, I am deferring to the mechanics on OTT. They will steer you in the best direction to start you off on the right foot.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I mean you are changing fluids at hundreds of hour intervals. Is it really that expensive in the scheme of things? I would only change if you think an alternative is better...not just cheaper.

Rotella is pretty hard to find right now but you can give it a shot...

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Welcome. HST fluid or just transmission fluid should easily go 400 hours, probably even double that. Think Kubota says change both at 400 hours.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
DO NOT use 15w40, particularly in the winter. It is absolute goo in the winter. Better to use 0w30, 5w30 or 10w30. I'm used Castrol's 5w30 for VW diesels in my tractors and have now switched to M1 0w30 ESP for tractor and Isuzu diesel generator. It's a light duty diesel oil. Our tractors aren't heavy duty diesel engines. Cranking speed with anything but that 15w40 goo will be 60-80% faster in the cold, and the top end will get oil MUCH faster with almost anything else.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Get the Owners/Operators Manual at the very LEAST…and even better also get a WSM (Workshop Manual) for more serious repairs (if ever needed.) Use ONLY the fluids recommended in those manuals….NOT some other cheap HST/Hydraulic fluid. This probably means only use a Kubota brand hydraulic fluid…the best being their SUper UDT-2. (Ordinary UDT is an older spec…but if that’s what has been used previously and if that’s what the manual says use… it should be “OK”. If you can afford it..the Super UDT-2 is certainly higher quality.) Any brand good quality diesel motor oil that meets the Owners Manual recommendations is fine.
You’ll find that genuine Kubota filters really ARE high-quality and they’re really not particularly expensive from your local dealer… the NAPA/WIX cost just as much and genuine Kubota really are better than el cheapo/Fram etc.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Whenever I buy anything used I do a full maintenance on it to level set. All fluids and filters. Costs me a bit bit at least I know the last time it was done. I use the Kubota fluids for everything but engine and the dealer recommended Rotella for that. All filters are Kubota as well.

Reactions: 1 user

killerv

Equipment
Grand L
Jan 25, 2022
Ga
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and do an oil and oil filter change for sure and check the other fluids and grease everything. So yall are saying that Rotella T6 is good to go? My local kubota dealer has all the filters, may go ahead and get them all and try to find a deal on the udt stuff. They want 32 bucks a gallon...not doing that.

Thanks again.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and do an oil and oil filter change for sure and check the other fluids and grease everything. So yall are saying that Rotella T6 is good to go? My local kubota dealer has all the filters, may go ahead and get them all and try to find a deal on the udt stuff. They want 32 bucks a gallon...not doing that.

Thanks again.
Rotella is fine. Use Kubota UDT, nothing else

killerv

Equipment
Grand L
Jan 25, 2022
Ga
I went by shop that has been servicing the tractor all these years to pick up a filter and oil. They said since its only been 20 hours since last service (Oct 2020), not to bother with anything right now, just use it. I went ahead and picked an oil filter anyway along with a jug of oil and udt2 in case I need to top something off in the mean time. Advanced auto by the house has 2.5 gallon jugs of Rotella t5 15w-40 yesterday which is a blend. I figure oil change time go with it to ease into a full synthetic t6 oil change after that. I've just used synthetic oils in all my vehicles for 25 years now and love them.