Do you drive fast?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Henro - - - not looking to highjack your thread.......... ;)

Maybe add the question "how fast have you driven on a public road.....maybe qualify 2-lane ground level/controlled access/divided highway?!?!?"

145mph - - 2 lane ground level road. Motorcycle - - '85 Yamaha Fazer.

120mph (I think I pegged it..(?)) - - 2 lane ground level road. 1967 Chevy Caprice...4-door, no less...

70 mph - - 1 lane seasonal road. Going to/from school. Not the Jeep. A KX125 Kawasaki. :geek:
My California Custom would break the speedometer at 120. 1st gear would get you to 10. 2nd gear would get you to 35. 3rd gear would get you to 65. 4th would smoke the gears in the speedo. And you still had 5th 😬😬😬😬

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Last time I got a ticket was in '84 in MI on I75 while headed for Gaylord.
Beautiful Sunday afternoon, 80°, windows down in the '76 Mark IV, just cruisin' along.
A MSP car mixed in with a few other cars passed going the other direction, looked down and was doing about 85. Yep, he turned around and got me. I admitted I just wasn't watching my speed. He was pretty nice and wrote me for 10 over the limit, instead of 20 over.
I pretty much keep the F150 to about the limit, but the '04 Town Car is so smooth you have to watch it or you're doing 90. I use the cruise control a lot.
I drove to Florida to my daughter's place for Thanksgiving, hadn't been on I75 for many years. There are a lot of crazy, dangerous drivers out there, I'm surprised more don't get killed.
Locally, a young man in a BMW hit and killed an elderly lady a while back. I guess they pulled the BMW's black box as he was charged for doing 117 mph.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
If anyone here has a car with any factory tele-metrics don’t forget to reset them! Challenger had them and on a couple of occasions I had “some ‘splainin to do”🤣

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Last year I was pulled over for driving too slowly. Not kidding. I thought the road may have been icy. Turned into a nearly hour long ordeal with a young aggressive cop. He asked me if I had any weapons. When I replied yes his mood changed perceptibly. I had all the papers and permits needed plus a perfect driving record. I had to ask him twice for my "piece" back after his having spent nearly an hour in his car with it. The entire experience was unsettling.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
110MPH here will get your car impounded, license suspended on the spot, and a court date to fight your racing charge. Then you will find your insurance premiums will now cost more than your annual house mortgage payments.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
On the Florida Turnpike, your entry ticket is time-stamped. When you give that ticket to the exit booth for the toll, they calculate the distance traveled, time, and bingo, average MPH. They issue the ticket on the spot if you get to your exit too soon. No need for troopers patrolling other than for general safety. No need for expensive radar equipment. The clock don't lie. It's a good idea to make sure you have an accurate speedometer, or at least know how much it's off. It's hard not to get caught speeding when you get on at Wildwood, and get back off at Fort Lauderdale/Miami. That's nearly 360 miles, non-stop. It's hard to stay below 70 MPH average unless you bring a lunch and just pull over somewhere to eat it. But, if you pull over, it won't be long and a trooper will be checking on you. Guess what the first thing is that he asks for. Yup, your entry ticket. They seem to assume that if you get on the Pike, you're at least smart enough to have minimally a fake DL. He'll write you up on the spot, send you down the road, and then, if you still average more than 70 MPH, you get a second ticket at the toll booth. Ouch. They don't dally when writing the tickets, either. It's electronic using current GPS location, time stamp from the toll ticket, and distance traveled. No getting out of it.
Have enjoyed this thread and especially this post—gave it a Like even though it's not true, at least in Florida. Intuitively it does not seem accurate simply because of what lawyers could do fighting such penalties for unwitnessed crimes.

But I asked my source, my brother. Unlike me, he had the wisdom to stay in Florida where we grew up. And he's a retired cop. He got a good laugh.

My last ticket was about 1990 in a residential neighborhood in Indianapolis. I was working and looking for a meeting location in a house. Residential speed limit was low there, prob only 25 and I was probably going 45.

I was a bad speeder growing up in Florida. Was on my parents' insurance and it kept going up with every ticket. Tickets of all kinds, once for cutting through a gas station to avoid a stop. Then I moved to Georgia for my first full time job, and one morning got a ticket driving to work. It was a speed trap, where the highway speed limit dropped to 35 and I was going about 45 again. That got me kicked off my parents' policy and scrambling to get my own insurance.

We never spoke of it. Ha!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Wondering if one would normally get arrested, rather than a normal ticket, for going 110 mph on a highway here?
In Ontario, you will lose your license and car will be impounded on the side of the road without trial if you are clocked at more than 40kph (~25mph) over the limit. 50kph (~30mph) on a highway where the limit is 100kph (63mph). So at ~93mph you are walking home.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
If you want to drive fast get involved in racing and prove yourself on a track.
I developed a unique driving concept when the roads get snow covered and slippery. I named it ‘slow down’

Reactions: 2 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
110MPH here will get your car impounded, license suspended on the spot, and a court date to fight your racing charge. Then you will find your insurance premiums will now cost more than your annual house mortgage payments.
Several years ago on one of my trans-Canadian motorcycle rides I went through Saskatchewan - Kansas on steroids. It was a pretty boring straight ride as I was taking the main roads to get to the Rockies. iirc the speed limit was either 100 or 110. I was doing that but in mph not kph :(

As I came over a rise way off in the empty distance I could see a car parked on the other side of the road. At that instant my radar detector exploded. It was one of those 'oh shit' moments. I just rolled off the throttle and let the speed bleed off to about 70mph. It took a long time to reach him. As I went by I nodded to him and he nodded back.

All's well that ends well.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I developed a unique driving concept when the roads get snow covered and slippery. I named it ‘slow down’
I was fortunate to have had the presence of mind to follow Yooper's advice when I was in my late teens. I had a love of off roading and 4 wheel drives and got involved in Off Road racing in the midwest. 48 years later , only 1 speeding ticket, no loss of license and cheap insurance! :)

I think what did it for me was the thought of street racing and some kid on a trike or person stepping between two cars out onto the street. Or causing a wreck with people that were just wanting to go about their day. Driving fast/racing on public streets is no different than walking to the middle of the street with a rifle and randomly sending rounds down it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My great grandmother had her license pulled do to a street racing law 🤣😂🤣🤣😂🤣

I'm not going into the exact reason. Let's just say she was extremely prejudiced and would do 90mph between stoplights in her town car. I about choked though when my aunt told me how they were able pull her license 😂🤣😂😂🤣😂🤣😂😂🤣🤣😂

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Depends on if the wife is in the vehicle or not ;)
Lots of tickets years ago. I'm still 10-20 over most of the time but around these parts there is very little if any 'speed control presence' during the work rush hours, and most folks are 10-20 over also. At 10 pm I'm much more likely to be only 5-10 over.
My motorcycles are defective and for some reason are unable to maintain anything near reasonable speed, unless the wife is on the back, then they comply. With cell phones and a complete lack of driving skill by the majority of the population, my bikes have more hours on a race track than they have on public roads.
What I don't understand are the folks in the left lane doing 2-3 under the limit ??? I'm always in a hurry, got stuff to do and the sooner I get there the more I get done. Maybe when I'm retired I will understand about driving around slow with no need to get anywhere anytime soon. You can bet that if I do attain that mindset, you will find me in the RIGHT lane.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Have enjoyed this thread and especially this post—gave it a Like even though it's not true, at least in Florida. Intuitively it does not seem accurate simply because of what lawyers could do fighting such penalties for unwitnessed crimes.
And then, there's this:

More than 1,100 traffic sensors deployed along Florida Turnpike | Roads & Bridges (roadsbridges.com)

Looks like Florida added 1100 more points of data collection for a lot of reasons, including speed data. That's a lotta unwitnessing of crimes.

This corroborates what I said about "unwitnessed" speed detection, and that "Big Brother is Watching". This kind of technology wasn't readily available and certainly not affordable in the early 90's. But distance travelled/time traveled = Average speed. Can't argue the math. I got a ticket on the Pike back then for averaging 76 MPH between Wildwood and the Commerce Street exit in Fort Lauderdale, albeit a very moderate one compared to today's speeding fines. The 55 MPH limit had just been rescinded, and the 70 MPH limit was being VERY strictly enforced statewide in Florida. That's how I found out my speedometer in my new 1992 F-150 was a little slow, probably because of tire size. I had no reason to suspect this in a brand-new vehicle. So YES, it was VERY true that the speed was monitored. You and you're ex-cop brother can refund me the money I paid for the fine if you like.

I have never been pulled over in any of my travels in Florida, ever, and have only received that ONE ticket from that state. I will openly admit to three stops and three tickets from Tennessee, though. Nary a one ever in my home state, Alabama. The one I got in Florida just showed up in the mail. Since I was from out of state, they were betting on and counting on me not fighting it. They won. It wasn't worth my time and effort to go to court over it, especially since it was issued from Broward County where I'd exited the Pike. I found out from a colleague at work that lived down there that I could have paid it at the exit booth and saved myself the admin and court fees tacked on to waiting for the ticket, if I'd only asked. No one said anything to me about my speeding, so why would I ask?

From that day forward, I plotted my trip based on arrival time on the Pike, never mind the speedometer other than to keep the blue lights at bay. Pretty easy to do if you can do some simple math in your head knowing how far you've gone and how far you have left to go. That's what mile markers are for. A decent GPS these days makes it even easier, because it will give you projected arrival time. The problem would also have been solved had I stopped for a drink or snack on the way. Because I drove it non-stop with an errant speedometer, I averaged a bit higher speed than expected. From that point on, I figured I'd do better to travel down the interstate or US highways on the Gulf side late at night and just enjoy the trip rather than hurrying. I actually knocked another half hour off my total trip time going that way. Who knew?

With a lawyer, yeah, you can fight anything. Winning might be a different story, and the result of fighting and losing generally is a lot worse than just paying the fine. There's always the possibility of additional court costs, the cost of the lawyer, the possibility of a community service sentence as well as a quadrupled fine. If it were a matter of losing my license over a couple MPH over the limit, I might fight it. If it's my fault for going too fast, why would I?

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm guilty on Canadian roads as well. 135 mph (not kph) in a rented Camry on a very long, straight stretch of road in Alberta. It was a long boring stretch between Edmonton and Cold Lake. I don't know what came over me but my right foot went down and speedo posted 135.

After about 2 miles, thoughts of Royal Canadian Mounties and Moose got the better of me and I coasted back down to the speed limit. I can't believe that the Camry rental had even more to give.

The rental ran great...especially after the "Italian" tune up. ;)

I'll be the first to admit, it was a really stupid thing to do and I'd never do anything of that sort again.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Well, I stand corrected. Appears my retired brother doesn't get out much. Or at least on toll roads.

And then, there's this:

More than 1,100 traffic sensors deployed along Florida Turnpike | Roads & Bridges (roadsbridges.com)

Looks like Florida added 1100 more points of data collection for a lot of reasons, including speed data. That's a lotta unwitnessing of crimes.

This corroborates what I said about "unwitnessed" speed detection, and that "Big Brother is Watching". This kind of technology wasn't readily available and certainly not affordable in the early 90's. But distance travelled/time traveled = Average speed. Can't argue the math. I got a ticket on the Pike back then for averaging 76 MPH between Wildwood and the Commerce Street exit in Fort Lauderdale, albeit a very moderate one compared to today's speeding fines. The 55 MPH limit had just been rescinded, and the 70 MPH limit was being VERY strictly enforced statewide in Florida. That's how I found out my speedometer in my new 1992 F-150 was a little slow, probably because of tire size. I had no reason to suspect this in a brand-new vehicle. So YES, it was VERY true that the speed was monitored. You and you're ex-cop brother can refund me the money I paid for the fine if you like.

I have never been pulled over in any of my travels in Florida, ever, and have only received that ONE ticket from that state. I will openly admit to three stops and three tickets from Tennessee, though. Nary a one ever in my home state, Alabama. The one I got in Florida just showed up in the mail. Since I was from out of state, they were betting on and counting on me not fighting it. They won. It wasn't worth my time and effort to go to court over it, especially since it was issued from Broward County where I'd exited the Pike. I found out from a colleague at work that lived down there that I could have paid it at the exit booth and saved myself the admin and court fees tacked on to waiting for the ticket, if I'd only asked. No one said anything to me about my speeding, so why would I ask?

From that day forward, I plotted my trip based on arrival time on the Pike, never mind the speedometer other than to keep the blue lights at bay. Pretty easy to do if you can do some simple math in your head knowing how far you've gone and how far you have left to go. That's what mile markers are for. A decent GPS these days makes it even easier, because it will give you projected arrival time. The problem would also have been solved had I stopped for a drink or snack on the way. Because I drove it non-stop with an errant speedometer, I averaged a bit higher speed than expected. From that point on, I figured I'd do better to travel down the interstate or US highways on the Gulf side late at night and just enjoy the trip rather than hurrying. I actually knocked another half hour off my total trip time going that way. Who knew?

With a lawyer, yeah, you can fight anything. Winning might be a different story, and the result of fighting and losing generally is a lot worse than just paying the fine. There's always the possibility of additional court costs, the cost of the lawyer, the possibility of a community service sentence as well as a quadrupled fine. If it were a matter of losing my license over a couple MPH over the limit, I might fight it. If it's my fault for going too fast, why would I?

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I think the turnpike ticket to calculate speed and penalties may come one day. But for now, I think they'd hit the same fate as red light cameras have. It wasn't me in the car! Ties up a lot of state/court resources. The officials can fight back, saying you are responsible for your car but it is a fight in many instances when it's supposed to be automatic.

The Florida sensors I'm aware of count cars, speed, weight. One that impressed me is the sniffer (portable) that sniffs exhaust and can tell if emissions are legal. It photographs bad vehicles and later they contact owner, inspect vehicle, and if modified the owner gets fined big time!

Back to use of turnpike tickets. Another hurdle to doing it besides drivers just saying it's wrong: I think cops usually give you 5-7 mph over the speed limit on average. Maybe not if they have to fill a quota but just 5 mph or less seems crappy. Now imagine if they gave you anything like that on the turnpike. They'd be making that official. And they’d be raising the speed limit in essence.

Bureaucratic and legal nightmare

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Bureaucratic and legal nightmare
You'll note that its " to collect real-time vehicle volume, occupancy and average speed data". Had to do a double take on "vehicle volume", then realized it meant how many cars, not how big they were or how many were in them.

If they can get occupancy info, they can get facial recognition, and "It wasn't me" won't fly in court anymore. You might try to argue that looking into one's car is an invasion of privacy, but not sure that's going to stand if that occupant is breaking the law by speeding. Then you get into probable cause.

While they may forgive 5-7 mph spikes, 5-7 MPH AVERAGE is a whole different subject. I was stopped for 2 MPH over just north of Chattanooga, so they can be hard-asses about it. The only way to measure average speed over distance is to clock the same car between checkpoints, whether measuring for traffic data or for catching speeders without a cruiser. I'll freely admit if I can find a trooper running 75 without his blues on, I'll chase him (but not close enough to get his attention). Unless they are in pursuit, they are subject to the same speeding laws as civilians.

In the good ol' days, I usually knew where a trooper was LONG before I got to him, especially if there was any truck traffic, because I kept a CB radio in my vehicle. All I had to do was listen to the chatter, which kept me awake on long drives anyway. This may also have been a contributor to my predicament on the Pike, because it's pretty easy to drop a few courteous MPH when you know where the folks are that hand out the fast-driving awards, then speed back up when you know you're safe. Pretty hard to catch folks speeding if everyone knows where the police are. I just didn't count on the difference of driving without rest or fuel stops mixed in.

Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Several years ago on one of my trans-Canadian motorcycle rides I went through Saskatchewan - Kansas on steroids. It was a pretty boring straight ride as I was taking the main roads to get to the Rockies. iirc the speed limit was either 100 or 110. I was doing that but in mph not kph :(

As I came over a rise way off in the empty distance I could see a car parked on the other side of the road. At that instant my radar detector exploded. It was one of those 'oh shit' moments. I just rolled off the throttle and let the speed bleed off to about 70mph. It took a long time to reach him. As I went by I nodded to him and he nodded back.

All's well that ends well.
similar but no radar detector. Was young and dumb on a CBR929. Ripping a hilly country road. Easily 2-3x the limit. Crested a hill seen 2 suvs and 1 car on the side. Went down into the valley, dropped 3 gears. Slowed down to 90kph. They were setting up the Friday evening laser tripod earlier than usual. They all waved but 1 grumpy looking cop. Who was probably a rider and heard the massing noise my engine breaking was doing.

never got a speeding ticket on a bike. Have 2 to my name in 24ish years I’d driving. 1 for 20 over when I was about 22. The last one they dropped to 15 over after my third time being pulled over for 135 in a 100. Same car, same spot. I learned my lesson. Cruise control all day every day now.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
that's where I learned to drive. On a race track.

Go-karts (WKA) all over the midwest til age 13. Moved 600 miles south, no tracks, sold it all and started drag racing. Few years afterwards a new coworker was involved in USAC and WoO stuff, and got involved there too, briefly. Still drag racing, though not professionally anymore.

Raced many times against Smoke on small dirt tracks in the midwest when we was kids. Very good driver and extremely focused on every aspect right down to tires, nuts, bolts everything. Also spend a "minute" in the driver's seat driving in circles against the best sprint car racer in the business. The King. That stuff ain't for me. I'm way too tall for one and not crazy enough. Over 900hp and the car weighs 1250 lbs, and has a 36" tall tire on the right rear and about a shorter one on the left rear. You do the math.

Reactions: 1 users