Anyone put a BX with loader in a Shelter Logic Tent

fmgsr

Dec 19, 2018
PA
Has Anyone put a BX with a loader in a Shelter Logic or simular Tent/Shed?
Need advice to buy

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Go to Harbor Freight and buy their version of the tent. It goes on sale for around $175. And for $50 you get a 2 year replacement policy. I have kept my L2501 in one for 3 years. It has held up very well in the Florida sun and wind.

When I put mine up I laid out 4 railroad ties and placed the tent on top of them. This allows the ROPS to pass under the doorway in the upright position.

It has been money very well spent for me.

1642256972331.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
No experience here but my guess/assessment would be: better than nothing to keep the snow/rain/morning dew off, but in the end it's still a mouse-house.

I use multiple products for my equipment stored outside/in sheds that are susceptible to mice.
just my .02

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
here near Hamilton,Ontario those shelters won't survive a 'snow load' and MUST be staked down. Have had several versions over the past 3 decades, then 5 years ago ,spent $500 and made 9by12 studs,ply,tin sheds. 5 of them...all still standing today.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Has Anyone put a BX with a loader in a Shelter Logic or similar Tent/Shed?
Need advice to buy
I have a 10X20 that houses both my BX23s and several other items (yard tractor, snowblower). As Big G notes the rops needs to be folded down unless you add height. These sheds do build moisture inside so in the warmer months I leave the back panel rolled up for airflow, only put it down in the snowy months. Mine is a shelter logic brand. Have not had rodent issues so far (3 years) but keeping fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 user

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
If you live where you get snow you want a shelter shaped like a quonset hut so there is no area for snow to accumulate and no flat wall surfaces to catch the wind. My son-in-law has tried both shapes for his tractor, one of the smaller B series, and the one with the flat walls didn't make it through the first winter. Even the rounded one only lasted a few years before it started to leak from sun and wind damage.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
In NB Canada, most of them won't survive one winter unless you are religious in cleaning the snowload off them. That and insure they are weighted to the ground REALLY good. By really good, I don't mean 4 cinder blocks or 6 buckets of sand.....

I got one from somebody who left the door open one day and the wind took it away when she was at work. She got an irate call from a neighbour to come get her garage which is resting up against the side of their house ! There were 6 or 7 poles that needed welded and some minor fabric repair.

I rigged up some railway ties all around and then a bracing system of 2 x 10' so the vehicle I had parked in there actually held the thing down. It never did blow away on me but.....

Once I got it all back together, I added bracing and weighting and everything and still couldn't get more than 2-3 winters out of it, as we got a very heavy snow load in the middle of the night and when I came out the next morning, it was ruined.

Maybe the rounder Quonset hut ones would be a little better.

If you get no snow........or never get heavy winds, then goforit

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have one that is snow load rated, and it has 2" round pipes spaced every 5', and it is secured to the ground with stakes that you purchase that have a crossbar at the bottom, and a cable at the top. It has withstood high winds without moving an inch. The downside is that it has a 10-year warranty canvas cover, and the cover didn't last 5 years. They prorate the replacement cover based on the current price, and for me to purchase a replacement cover, it will be more than 3/4 of what I paid for the original unit. My original Shelter Logic came with a 10-year cover, and that one lasted just shy of 20 years before it came down because of one winter's heavy snow load. We had 3 Northeaster storms one right after another. That one had 1 1/2" round bars, and they folded over and it was as flat as a pancake. The quality of the Shelter Logic units isn't what it originally was. I am looking into the costs of replacing the covers with corrugated steel panels, but even those today are not inexpensive, and the labor to install them is significantly more than the canvas cover.
I also have a square tube carport with steel panels, and you can purchase those relatively inexpensively, and they also sell snow-rated units. They are staked down to the ground with long pieces of rerod with a large washer welded on the end.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
BTDT. I have used the Shelter logic and a hoop house I made myself. Here's my advice:

1. Understand your snow load. Heavy, wet snow can collapse one of these. Then it's really fun digging out your tractor!
  2. Don't place it under trees. Falling branches can punch right through the skin, then a good windstorm can finish the job by getting in there and ripping it apart.

My hoop house was constructed of 1 1/2" PVC conduit covered with a billboard tarp. Very rugged stuff. Held up for about 5 winters, then a 20" wet snow took it down. I would not go that route again in my climate.

The Shelter Logic barn style I used held up just fine to that level of heavy snow, and more. A rounded shape probably would not. However, none of them can tolerate branches dropping on them. Mine got destroyed by a large branch in a windstorm, resulting in the complete destruction of the skin as the wind got in the hole and tore it apart. If I had a place to put the Shelter Logic barn away from trees, I would go that route again in a heartbeat.

Unless you live in a mild climate, I would not waste my time and money on the Harbor Freight version.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sea cans are nice but will need a building permits for one here near Hamilton ($$$ !!!!!)
My 9by12s are the max without having to pay cityhall bucket loads of money

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
BTDT still have the empty frame in the back yard. I was tempted to screw steel panels on the frame, just never got around to it. As others mentioned, if in snow country, don't waste your money or time, they don't last.

With the price of steel today, carports are too expensive as well, but they make a great alternative. Versatube is one of the brands that makes car ports and I have one of those I put up at least 15 years ago and other than needing a good washing and regrading inside, has held up very well in all kinds of weather.

Whats funny though, I actually last Saturday, put up a 12 x 20 Amazon Special IN my garage! The ceiling is 9' in the garage and all open walls and trusses, so any attempt at heating would go right up and out, so I got this shelter for ~$500, had to cut 10" off the side tubes because it was not 109" as stated but 118" tall. I fold back part of the roof and remove the first arch and horizontal so the garage door can be opened, drive in waht I want to work on, then when the garage door is down and disabled, I reassemble the first arch and roll the roof back in place, put the back wall on, and turn on my heater. So now I have a warm place to work on my trucks and tractors and other equipment, and in the summer will have a place to do body and paint work.

Since I live in snow country, this shed would NEVER last a season, it is way too flimsy, the feet for the wall tubes bent as I assembled it, but as far as the cover material, it is pretty heavy duty, and if tied down properly would hold up to strong winds, but the frame wont hold a snow load. It is big enough to put my 1209 MoCo and NH273 Haybaler.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
sea cans are nice but will need a building permits for one here near Hamilton ($$$ !!!!!)
My 9by12s are the max without having to pay cityhall bucket loads of money

The joys of being a "city dweller". Thats why I live in the country and have no close by neighbors.

Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
BTDT still have the empty frame in the back yard.
That sounds familiar! :D

As others mentioned, if in snow country, don't waste your money or time, they don't last.
I don't agree. Mine weathered some pretty strong storms. It just could not hold up to the 3" branch hitting it from 40' up. IF I could relocate it away from trees, I'd buy another cover and carry on.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I find the Shelter Logic covers are now crap and suffer UV rot in less than a year of northern sun. The first one I bought lasted 5 or 6 years. When it started falling apart, it was cheaper to buy a whole new shelter than a replacement cover. The second one lasted a whole year. I covered it with a large heavy UV resistant polytarp, which lasted 3 years. By then, the ends of the Shelter Logic cover were deteriorating, so I bought yet another shelter. I covered it with a polytarp right from the start and replace that every couple of years now.

I also used the surplus frame tubing to double up the structure. I still have to clear away the snow regularly, but figure it is an added layer of insurance.

Reactions: 1 user

fmgsr

Dec 19, 2018
PA
Go to Harbor Freight and buy their version of the tent. It goes on sale for around $175. And for $50 you get a 2 year replacement policy. I have kept my L2501 in one for 3 years. It has held up very well in the Florida sun and wind.

When I put mine up I laid out 4 railroad ties and placed the tent on top of them. This allows the ROPS to pass under the doorway in the upright position.

It has been money very well spent for me.

View attachment 73323

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I actually decided to use it for my truck instead. So I didn’t have to worry about moving my ROPs. Every time it snow. I knock the snow off it with a push broom.
32F857A7-C251-4A53-B745-798B2CE8DB25.jpeg

Happy13

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3600 GST, LA680, Bradco 509, Barfoot Welding 84" Snow blower, Mott 60" Flail
Jan 13, 2022
Massachusetts
My L3600 fit nicely with the backhoe or blower attached in an 8' x 20' x 8'

Nice to not have to cover or brush off the snow.

Attachments