Analysis Paralysis L2501/LX2610SU…….B2601

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I run a Woods M5-4 Dixie Cutter 5ft rotary mower with my 2017 B2650 and it runs great.
I also decided to get a separate 48" gas riding mower for the yard grass, instead of a belly mower for the Kubota.
I have 119 acres of mixed forest, open wild grass, swamp, river valley. 400 ft gravel driveway. Take a look at my attachment list in my signature - I don't think I would get anything different for my needs, but would add, if I could afford it, several 3-point hitch tools:
Post-hole auger
2" hitch receiver
Subsoiler/ripper

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The only thing I can add is you do not have 5 acres, you have 22 acres.

L2501 is the way I would go.

I bought my B2910 when I only had 3.5 acres. Never regretted it. But I did buy a second BX2200 a couple years later...the larger tractor worked fine with a rear finish mower though. Now have 8 acres...still no regrets but a slight lust for a L2501...:)

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The title of this thread was great and I relate. I think that the B2610 is great for the size of my property, 2.5 acres. I do have a 1/3 acre pond and I also have a lot of trench work ahead. My question is that I am also going to splurge on a backhoe and wondering how much that should effect my purchase. I know that the BH70 goes on a B2610 but I'm wondering if I should consider the BH77 which would move me up to a LX2610 or SU? I've read the specs and one of my concerns was the only 140 swing arc on the 70 vs the 180 arc on the 77. Any comments are appreciated.
I've not had any experience with the BH70, but I can tell you that I love the BH77 and I certainly use all of that 180 degree swing. I'm sure I could get done what I need to with less arc, it would just take longer to complete and I'd have to re-adjust the tractor more often while digging. I think the reach is longer as well which I also use every bit of.

Reactions: 1 user

klandrus

Equipment
Considering Kubota Lx2610 or L2501?
Sep 22, 2020
Pittsburgh
I got the QH15 quick hitch with my L2501 in May 2019. It has never been taken off the tractor a single time. I use a box blade, an over sized disc harrow from john deere (frontier brand), and a hay spike. Everything fits it so far. You can check implements to know if they will fit by taking measurements of the left and right pins. If youre at the dealer and happen to be looking at an implement do a quick measurement between the pins. I forget the measurement but basically you can quickly tell if it will fit. Most stuff being made today seems to be quick hitch compatable. Woods and Landpride are both great higher end equipment I wouldnt have any bones about either one so long as it fit my quick hitch.

One thing I wanted to cover in my last post but ran out of time and had to quickly end my post, is that if youre torn between B2601 and L2501, I like to just take a sheet of paper and list out what each model gives you over the other model. Taking this approach is what led me to the L2501. I just found that the B2601 didnt really have any real advantage over the L2501 for me. Its a little smaller, but not drastically so. Having a slightly smaller tractor was of no benefit to me though - I have 13 acres, Im not on a small lot where I need to nit pick turn radius and tractor dimensions. To some the smaller little bit smaller size may carry some weight. Next was the comfort features - which were nice. Digital dash, flat floor board with a nice mat, I thinkthe seat even had arm rests on the one I was looking at. The dash and everything just looked more "up to date" The L2501 looks analog - needles and manual gauges etc. I asked myself though - does that REALLY matter to me? And ultimately I decided it didn't. As I went down the list I just found very few wins for the B series column on my paper. The mid mount PTO is a legitimate plus for the B series for many folks. For me again this was a non issue. I have no desire to run a mid mount mower on a tractor. I have a zero turn mower for all my mowing. I live in Florida, so I'm not doing any snow blowing either.

For the L however I had many wins. The bigger size DID matter to me, because it meant heavier. The L2501 is just over 1,000 LBS heavier than the B2601, this translates into a lot more pulling ability. The disc harrow I got for example which was essentially given to me by a work colleague is a 700+lb harrow that is 76" wide. Some folks on this forum told me I would struggle to pull it - it also exceeds the size limit for disc harrows listed in the L2501 manual in both width and weight. The L2501 pulls it just fine. I bet if I was in a B2601 however I wouldn't not be pulling it. At the most aggressive setting on the harrow my tires begin to spin - Going into 4wd allows me to keep pulling it at this most aggressive setting. Tire spinning - that's the problem you will run into with pulling, and its purely an issue of tractor weight. The B2601 would be half a ton lighter. Weight is a big deal as I'm sure you know, so the fact that the L2501 takes a big jump up in weight over the B series is substantial, so this was an important factor for me. If I'm going to spend 20k on a machine I want it to be able to do some serious work. I already have a lawn mower so I'm not looking for an oversized lawn mower. The L2501 also has bigger tires, which means more room for liquid ballast, further increasing the weight gap. As I listed out all these factors and thought about each item critically, the L2501 suddenly emerged to me as the clear winner for me. The fact that the two were so close in price also won me over. Had the L2501 been like $5,000+ more than the B series It would have made the decision much harder. However, now looking back, after having owned it and pushed it to its limits in the past year, Im so so glad I didnt go with my initial plan which was to get a B series. The weight of the tractor has been a clear issue with me - I wish the L2501 was even heavier, as I feel it is one of the limiting factors to it doing even more. It has plenty of engine power. The 25 horses on the L2501 are worth a lot more than the 25/26 on the B series. The L2501 has a much larger engine, and Ive read that it is essentially the same engine used in some 30-40HP tractors but has simply been tuned down to 25hp.

Given the amount of acreage you own, I would want the most tractor I could fit into my budget. I realize how you have no plan to work or do much with a lot of that acreage but what does the future hold in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years? If you are going to go with a lighter, weaker, slightly smaller tractor, then make sure it is deliberate for a real and important reason. There are legitimate and sound reasons for going smaller, but I think it would have to be very deliberate, and typically this is folks on much smaller acreages. You arent going to save much at all in money going smaller and weaker, so the other advantages have to be substantial - for example the Mid Mount PTO - this could be a game changer for some folks. The L series just flat does not offer this option so that is one of those big things that could force someone into the B series.

Be sure to let us know what you choose and share some pics!
I'm glad I read your post, I was mostly considering the new LX2610SU, but now I think the L2510 may be better choice, I just bought 2.5 acres north of Pittsburgh, Its 90% wooded and hilly, so I don't care about mowing or the mid-PTO, maybe a flail mower later, but I've think I need a much heaver machine to work on the hills, and to lift/move logs ( I eventually plan to get a Woodland Mills sawmill) a Grapple, and a wood chipper, and the L2510 looks cheaper and at the same time heaver with a stronger engine. I also want a box blade to maintain 4-500 feet of driveway. I think the dial gauges are preferred, and will last longer, we don't have enough data on how the digital display will last outside.
Any suggestions for a good Grapple for this?
Anyone know what other differences between the LX2610SU and the L2510?

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I'm glad I read your post, I was mostly considering the new LX2610SU, but now I think the L2510 may be better choice, I just bought 2.5 acres north of Pittsburgh, Its 90% wooded and hilly, so I don't care about mowing or the mid-PTO, maybe a flail mower later, but I've think I need a much heaver machine to work on the hills, and to lift/move logs ( I eventually plan to get a Woodland Mills sawmill) a Grapple, and a wood chipper, and the L2510 looks cheaper and at the same time heaver with a stronger engine. I also want a box blade to maintain 4-500 feet of driveway. I think the dial gauges are preferred, and will last longer, we don't have enough data on how the digital display will last outside.
Having just come from a B2650 (previous version of LX2610) to an L2501HST the difference in weight and overall robustness is apparent, and if you don't need the mid PTO is probably a better choice for very little, if any, more money. One area where it'll be noticeably better is on hills because it's about the same height but the rear track is about 6" wider.
Messicks video comparing B series to L01 series discusses some differences between B2650 (now LX2610) and the L series,

I went with an EA grapple that's made for compact tractors, big and strong enough without being too heavy.
In fact I was using it yesterday to clean up and make firewood from a standing dead cherry tree that fell a few months ago. I probably use the grapple almost as much as the bucket.

I have an old rotary cutter but I bought a 5' flail for mowing down the meadows and around the pond. I'm now on my second year using it and so far am very satisfied. The tractor runs it just fine and it's a lot more maneuverable than it is with the 5' RC, and it mulches up the cuttings better.

klandrus

Equipment
Considering Kubota Lx2610 or L2501?
Sep 22, 2020
Pittsburgh
Having just come from a B2650 (previous version of LX2610) to an L2501HST the difference in weight and overall robustness is apparent, and if you don't need the mid PTO is probably a better choice for very little, if any, more money. One area where it'll be noticeably better is on hills because it's about the same height but the rear track is about 6" wider.
Messicks video comparing B series to L01 series discusses some differences between B2650 (now LX2610) and the L series,

I went with an EA grapple that's made for compact tractors, big and strong enough without being too heavy.
In fact I was using it yesterday to clean up and make firewood from a standing dead cherry tree that fell a few months ago. I probably use the grapple almost as much as the bucket.

I have an old rotary cutter but I bought a 5' flail for mowing down the meadows and around the pond. I'm now on my second year using it and so far am very satisfied. The tractor runs it just fine and it's a lot more maneuverable than it is with the 5' RC, and it mulches up the cuttings better.

Thanks for input, I'll definitely look at the EA Grapple.
I like the hill your 2501 is on, my land is sloped similarly but for about 400-500 ft more up hill.
How stable is it on that hill, I'm guessing it can only go up and down, not sideways?
how do you like HST vs the gear drive?
for hills which is better, AG or the wider industrial tires?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
That hill is actually my pond dam and by far the steepest on my property. I back up it to the top, lower the flail and mow it down hill. HST all the way for me for a number of reasons. R1 Ag tires will definitely provide more traction than the R4's on dirt and grass. I think R4's are a bit more puncture resistant, stiffer, and smoother on road.

Dlrotter

Equipment
LX2610SU
Sep 15, 2020
West Point TX
I just bought the LX2610SU and love it! Also had the 3rd function added. Then picked up the Armstrong Ag Mini Grapple, which is still 5' wide and grate for raking with the close tines. This Grapple is less than $1200. I have already tested it pulling up mesquite trees and picking up a few 18" Cedar Logs to stack for milling later. Highly recommend it!

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Update since starting this thread. Bought back in July, delivered last Friday. B2601, bushhog, tiller, box blade, pallet forks, quick hitch. After one weekend and just over 10 seat hours, very pleased. Was clean and shiny for about 1 hour :) I was actually dirtier than the tractor by Sunday evening. Appreciate all the input!

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Update since starting this thread. Bought back in July, delivered last Friday. B2601, bushhog, tiller, box blade, pallet forks, quick hitch. After one weekend and just over 10 seat hours, very pleased. Was clean and shiny for about 1 hour :) I was actually dirtier than the tractor by Sunday evening. Appreciate all the input!
My goodness it didn't take you long to dirty up your new tractor! Nothing wrong with that though, nice to se it getting put to work. :)

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Yep, tilled up and seeded an area about the size of football field where I'm building my house. No water on site yet for another month or so but fortunately it rained Monday am so she got a bath!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
just be careful with water around the dash board. I have seen water get in some of those and cause obvious problems. Grats on the tractor. Does the B2601 have an inner air filter available like the L2501? If so Id suggest getting it in such dusty conditions. Just gives an extra layer of protection on the air intake. It was the first thing I added to my L2501 when I bought it. They gimp on the inner filter in these more utility tractors. The Ag grade tractors have the inner filters though (Given they are expected to be in dusty fields and similar situations) But there is nothing stoping folks from adding the extra filter. It costs just $15 for the L2501 varient. Just some food for thought.

Enjoy :)

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I REALLY like the B2601 but my hangup is being limited to a 4’ bush hog. Traced out on Google Earth this morning and I’m going to have a little over 4 acres of pasture to cut and my yard will be about three fourths of an acre. I’m out in the country so not looking for a highly manicured yard, just going to be KY31 manicured a tad better than the pasture. Some salesmen are telling me the B2601 can pull a 5 foot bush hog and it probably could under PERFECT circumstances. I could also pull a big boat with my Subaru I just couldn’t stop it when the light turned red :( The HUGE benefit to the L2501 is being able to easily pull a 5’ bush hog and being able to more efficiently move gravel and box blade to maintain my driveway (220 yds). I'm not going to have any low areas that will be overly wet but do have a couple areas fairly sloped and I'm thinking (maybe wrong) the L2501 will be much more stable than the B2601.

I wish there was some 5’ cutting solution (other than a belly mower) for the B2601 as bush hogging will be the most regular task. Tax tag and title there is about a $2.5k to $3k difference between a B2601 and L2501 if you are figuring in implements(box blade, tiller, bush hog, quick hitch), 3rd function, etc, etc. The L2501 and LX2610SU are basically a wash in price so if spending that amount I see no reason to go with anything other than the L2501. That doesn't seem like a lot of $ but when the B2601 is already about a 1k over budget of where I’d like to be TOTAL , I’m going to have to cut some costs on the L2501 to get closer to budget. If I go the L2501 route might have to forgo the 3rd function for the time being or go with another for vendor for implements like EA or KingCutter. Don’t want to but your budget is your budget!

HORRIBLE back and legs so don’t want to be dealing with hooking up belly mower and and concerned my pasture would beat up a belly mower or a finish mower . So what 5’ cutting solution am I overlooking for the B2601 to deal with my pasture?? 4 acres doesn’t seem like a lot to cut but a 4’ bush hog is no bigger than a riding lawn mower from Lowes…….going to be sitting on that B2601 a long time!

I’m not going to have a barn to store the tractor for probably 4-6 weeks so still some time to contemplate. On a side note dealers in my area with the exception of one salesman who owned one just are not up to speed on flail mowers and sales are FEW AND FAR between. REALLY surprising and this is in big farm country! Again, appreciate all the input!
I run a Land Pride 5' rotary cutter with my B2601 with no problem. However, Kubota recommends 4' maximum, which I hadn't noticed in my manual. A Kubota dealer sold it to me for the tractor I'd recently purchased. Possibly exceeding recommended implement sizes could cause warranty issues, even if your dealer is the one who fixed you up.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you plan to mow your yard with it a model offering a belly mower option may be a better choice. I don't know your yard layout but a pull behind mower may not work well. I went with the L2501 due to the simplicity and the weight being able to handle my five foot rotary mower on a slope. I didn't want the tail wagging the dog so to speak. I've also had a hundred plus yards of driveway done in asphalt - at a cost almost as much as the tractor, but no gravel to maintain.
I have learned that a belly mower isn’t a great option for anything other than lawn grass. I have used it for field mowing grass and it just throws chaff into the radiator screen, resulting in the need for frequent cleaning stops or overheating.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Snowmansimo........after talking to the fella up the road that me that maintains his property which is similar to mine with a BX I'm convinced many don't give the BX the credit they deserve. May take a little longer but quite competent to maintain small properties and much more capaple than many give them credit for. I was surprised how much he praised his BX and it was his comments that convinced me that while maybe not ideal, the B2601 would be more than adequate for my needs.

I realize tractors don't have suspensions and I'm not expecting a smooth ride but one salesman told me that the extra weight of the L2501 made for a much more pleasant experience if out bush hogging over pasture for a few hours over a B2601. My back is not exactly in stellar condition. Would there be that significant of a difference in the ride of these two machines. Just not going to be able to tell driving over pavement or a quick trip over "dirt" at the dealer.
A wider, heavier tractor is going to be much smoother to ride on rough ground. Also, the BX isn’t a great tractor for woods work. The clearance isn’t very good and the HST fan is vulnerable to damage.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I know and I keep coming coming back and back and back to the 5' cutter. I REALLY love the B2601 and its a good fit for my property in EVERY WAY except for the 4' bush hog. Its not that the B2601 can't turn a 5' cutter .......it can, its exactly as you say its the weight to lift it that is the problem. I'm looking into a Pat's quick hitch that would save a few bucks over the Landpride QH15 and this would save additional $ with OK but lesser quality implements like King Kutter or even used implements. I have a less than stellar back so ease of implement hookup is a top priority. Most seem happy with their Pat's quick hitch it appears. By going this route I can get the total out the door price down (including implements) on either a LX or L2501 down closer to the number I'm looking to hit and have a 5' cutter. As much as I love the B2601 I just feel like a 4' bush hog is a major negative. And as crazy as it sounds......I know.......don't do it.........don't do it........ I am open to a L2501 gear drive. Am FULLY AWARE of the limitations regarding loader work, single stage clutch issues, resale, etc but I like SIMPLE. As much as people complain about gear drives on this and other forums the people that own them seem to be happy and seem to acclimate to their shortcomings in short order. A gear drive L2501 and a B2601 are essentially the same price. And for bush hogging or slow speed tilling both of which I'll be doing just pop it in gear, foot off the pedal and let it go. Been MANY years since I used tractors but they were ALL gear drives.

Again, really curious to see what happens to Kubota incentives tomorrow. Still pondering, hopefully make a decision in the next few weeks.
I have had a gear tractor for 20 years and can use it for any task. But my new tractor I take delivery of next week is HST. It is just so much more enjoyable and productive to operate a HST over a gear tractor.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I'm looking at similar smear of tractors but have eliminated the L2501: way too heavy and wider than the others (even if I get the 3" spacers on the B) to fit across my tractor crossing. Brakes are on same side as treadle peddle, really bad. Looking at B230a or LX2610SU. The more comfortable seat on the LX is greatly appealing. Bit stronger hydraulics.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Ralph, wouldn't a more apt comparison be between the B2601 and the LX2610? Have you ruled out the B2601 for some reason? Or are you trying to decide between a much less expensive tractor, the B2301, and the larger, more expensive LX2610?

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Ralph, wouldn't a more apt comparison be between the B2601 and the LX2610? Have you ruled out the B2601 for some reason? Or are you trying to decide between a much less expensive tractor, the B2301, and the larger, more expensive LX2610?
Only need 18.5 hp but need extra clearance of B or LX. BX won't do. Looking at LXSU for comfort, not hp. There's only a $2,000 difference between the 2301 and the LX2601SU with loaders and R4 tires.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Ralph, one thing I'd recommend you assess is the speed/gearing of the LX2601. Youtuber Gordon up in Canada replaced his B2601 for the cab model LX and has complained how slow it is in comparison. Now, he has a cab and the extra weight may be the issue, also with hydro wine noise which also bothers him. I stay in low range and it's about right for my hilly conditions and small open spaces but if it were slower it would bother me.

I got the R14 tires with my B2601 and like them. Traction is good, and they do not tear up the grass unless I am in 4WD and cut too sharp. My only doubt is whether I should have gotten the rears loaded. I don't drive on the grass when it is really wet, so they have not rutted. However, the weight does seem to discourage grass unless there is a heavy sod.