rear remote with backhoe ports

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Hi,

I think I might have another idea for building a rear remote on my b2601. The backhoe uses 3 hoses. I believe those hoses are called "Outlet" , "power-beyond" and "tank". If I take off the bh70 of the tractor, those ports are unused. So is it possible for me to use them to hook up a valve like this one https://www.princessauto.com/file/general/8410755_manualnb_00_01_v01_manuel_enfr.pdf and build myself a rear remote for a wood splitter? or even for controller my snowblower deflector?

I'm just not sure which ports I would use. I've read a few threads about the Power-Beyond and I'm still not sure what it's used for. So can I just use the "P" and "T" ports to hook it up to that valve I linked to?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi,

I think I might have another idea for building a rear remote on my b2601. The backhoe uses 3 hoses. I believe those hoses are called "Outlet" , "power-beyond" and "tank". If I take off the bh70 of the tractor, those ports are unused. So is it possible for me to use them to hook up a valve like this one https://www.princessauto.com/file/general/8410755_manualnb_00_01_v01_manuel_enfr.pdf and build myself a rear remote for a wood splitter? or even for controller my snowblower deflector?

I'm just not sure which ports I would use. I've read a few threads about the Power-Beyond and I'm still not sure what it's used for. So can I just use the "P" and "T" ports to hook it up to that valve I linked to?
That valve is not appropriate. I will skip the lecture on power beyond for now - we can revisit that if you really want to know what it is and why you need it. For now just accept you need a valve with 3 ports in addition to the cylinder ports:

1) Pressure IN
2) Power beyond OUT
3) Tank return OUT

Valves meeting that requirement are cheap and easy to find. Do you not have a loader on this tractor?

Dan

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
I've looked at some diagrams and I now understand what PB is for. All good.

I do have a loader on the tractor. Were you gonna propose to use a select valve on that circuit so I can use the FEL stick? That does seem like a good solution but I was thinking of using the backhoe circuit because it looks like a simple mod.

Why do you say that the valve I am linking wouldn't be appropriate? There are so many to choose from. I'd appreciate a link for something I can find in Canada.

Thanks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've looked at some diagrams and I now understand what PB is for. All good.

I do have a loader on the tractor. Were you gonna propose to use a select valve on that circuit so I can use the FEL stick? That does seem like a good solution but I was thinking of using the backhoe circuit because it looks like a simple mod.

Why do you say that the valve I am linking wouldn't be appropriate? There are so many to choose from. I'd appreciate a link for something I can find in Canada.

Thanks.
I asked about the loader because that will be a power beyond valve and probably feeds the backhoe. I was not thinking diverter valve because that forces you to chose one set of outlets over the other. If you want to add a control valve for rear remotes its very easy and inexpensive to daisy chain it off the loader valve. That gives you remotes that work without any need to switch back and forth with the loader. Here is just one of many suppliers of these P40 valves.

Summit Two Spool Monoblock

Shipping to Canada should not be an issue. If you cant find a seller that will ship to Canada I have a selection of valves and I will ship to Canada. It can get a little pricey but if the valve is under 20# it can go USPS flat rate for about $50.

Here is a picture of a single spool valve mounted next to my loader valve. Very simple mounting and plumbing and you can use a valve with as many spools as you need. Not as easy on a B2601 but since you have BH70 backhoe you already have the three hookup points you need and the rest is just plumbing in the new valve.

You mentioned a log splitter. Assuming you would never have the backhoe mounted when using the splitter you could use the existing backhoe outlets for that purpose.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Your log splitter is a perfect example. I dont care about mounting the valve on the tractor. I can have it hang off whatever implement I'll have. I'll use the connections for the backhoe. Thanks a lot for the info, that helped a lot. I'll look at the p40 valves

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Here’s how I plumbed the valve on my BX24 using the backhoe hookups. I labeled the ports. Without the power beyond plumbed correctly, the loader wouldn’t work. I had to add a power beyond sleeve to separate the tank and power beyond ports inside the valve. Unfortunately, my valve wasn’t machined internally for the sleeve so I had to machine the body and make a sleeve to fit. Make sure whatever valve you buy has the power beyond port and a sleeve.
A48F77CA-8642-45D8-8105-701CD8A8D946.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Your log splitter is a perfect example. I dont care about mounting the valve on the tractor. I can have it hang off whatever implement I'll have. I'll use the connections for the backhoe. Thanks a lot for the info, that helped a lot. I'll look at the p40 valves
After looking at the BH70 parts diagram the backhoe connections are a fine place to tap in but I think you will find it's a lot nicer if the valve is mounted on the tractor and permanently connected. Otherwise you are constantly going to be moving things around from implement to implement and that will get old fast.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Great info.
So if I google for a p40 valve, I get this result: https://vevor.ca/products/3-spool-h..._SEAQYASABEgLNhfD_BwE#judgeme_product_reviews

I find it confusing because some valve are ORB and others NPT. I guess npt would be better if I wanna skip the coupler for the quick female connector. And it seems that not all valve have PB support or they need an adapter.
Finding a valve is the least of your concerns..

The P40 valves are commonly available with BSPT, BSPP, NPTF, and ORB ports. ORB is far and away the best choice in North America. Taper pipe of any flavor is an abomination.

There are LOTS of P40 suppliers - eBay is littered with them. Vevor sells a Chinese version and I have not purchased one of their valves but that description is garbage. They are listing all of the port thread options which is impossible. I have been using the Badenost P40 valves made in Bulgaria. Summit used to sell them but they have recently switched to a different OEM with no identifying markings on the valves. Likely similar to Vevor. The P40 valves are all the same except for the porting and very minor dimensional differences.

There are also other choices - Prince Wolverine is a nice small monoblock but a bit more expensive than the P40s. Brand has a similar product as does Bucher.

All of those valves have a power beyond option. In general let your wallet do the talking.

Dan

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
You're right, ebay is a gold mine. I found a few.
When looking at the valve specs, I see ports A,B, N,P,T. If I understand correctly, A&B are going to the cylinder, P is the input, T is the output and N would be the power beyond except that I would need a sleeve. Right? Can I buy any sleeve I want (provided that the diameter matches) or would those be proprietary for each valve ?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You're right, ebay is a gold mine. I found a few.
When looking at the valve specs, I see ports A,B, N,P,T. If I understand correctly, A&B are going to the cylinder, P is the input, T is the output and N would be the power beyond except that I would need a sleeve. Right? Can I buy any sleeve I want (provided that the diameter matches) or would those be proprietary for each valve ?
You have the ports identified correctly. The PB (AKA high pressure carry over) conversion sleeves are specific to the valve. Here are four valves I have on the shelf right now. The bottom middle is a Badenost P40 valve purchased from Summit. The hex fitting with red plastic plug is the power beyond sleeve. The other fitting is an ORB to JIC port adapter. The valve on the bottom right is a Prince Wolverine WVS series valve. The high pressure carry over conversion on it is a vanilla socket head pipe plug installed inside one of the two T ports. The bottom left is a Brand LV series joystick loader valve with power beyond sleeve installed. The three spool valve on the top is a noname P40 purchased from Summit. It has float on two spools and does not currently have a power beyond sleeve installed in it. All of these valves have SAE o-ring boss (ORB) port threads.

Dan

Attachments

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
@TheOldHokie , on your valves, the A and B ports are ORB right? It seems that all quick couplers I see are NPT. So I guess you are using an ORB-to-NPT fitting, in which you connect the coupler?

I wasn't able to find a P40 around here, but I did find a MD40 BM40 for 135$ (CAD). Looking at the specs, it seems like it will do all I need.

edit: Not MD40, but BM40

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
@TheOldHokie , on your valves, the A and B ports are ORB right? It seems that all quick couplers I see are NPT. So I guess you are using an ORB-to-NPT fitting, in which you connect the coupler?

I wasn't able to find a P40 around here, but I did find a MD40 BM40 for 135$ (CAD). Looking at the specs, it seems like it will do all I need.

edit: Not MD40, but BM40
Quick couplers sold on the retail market are typically female threads intended for hose ends. Regardless of thread if you are planning on mounting the couplers on the valve body you will need male adapters and you will likely discover the ports on the valve are too close together to fit the couplers in. A 1/2" body dize coupler needs port spacing in excess of 1.5".

I prefer bulkhead mounting with two way sleeves and one hand push/pull connection if at all possible.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Before I hook up my new valve and cylinder to the tractor, should I fill them with oil? To avoid pushing air in the rest of the system through the PB. Or is this nothing to be concerned with?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Before I hook up my new valve and cylinder to the tractor, should I fill them with oil? To avoid pushing air in the rest of the system through the PB. Or is this nothing to be concerned with?
Zero to worry about wrt air - it will simply get pumped back to the tank and disappear into - wait for it - thin air.. Sorry - I couldn't resist :devilish:

Filling the new cylinders will however pull the oil level in the tractor down so check and top up after cycling all new cylinders a couple times.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users