Seat time on a L2501, my thoughts

rjent

Equipment
B7800, BH, FEL, brushhog, tiller, blade, phd, Boxbld, Chpper
Jan 20, 2020
Truth or Consequences, NM
I have bought two new Kubotas over the last 20 years or so. My first Kubota was a B7300 16HP with BHL and a plethora of attachments from tiller to rotary cutter to post hole digger. The 7300 was traded on a B7800HSTDT unit which I still have and love. A friend of mine has borrowed the B for years for big and little jobs and mostly for the backhoe. He just bought a LX2501 BHL and just brought it to me to evaluate (tough job, but somebody has to do it LOL). So I had a major project building an extra driveway on a 10% incline that I had been putting off. His BH isn't delivered yet, so using the FEL and my landpride box blade I moved most of the dirt using his front loader and BoxBlade while the 7800's BH was used as a scarifier to loosen the 6 to 7 feet deep layer of packed ancient dirt to build the DW. Put about 16 hours on the LX and here is my assessment.

First, power was adequate but I could definitely feel the difference between the L's 25HP 3 clys and the B's 30HP 4 clys. The extra weight of the L was noticeable and was handy for packing each layer of moved dirt as the DW took shape. The L seemed "tippy" with one of the rear tires coming off the ground sometime for no apparent reason, particularly with a good load on the front loader. I just don't experience that with the B, even with no "balast" like a BH or Boxblade on the back. I was kind of shocked with the crudity of the controls placements. I am so impressed with the fender mounted levers, it just seemed I was going back to the old tractors of 50 or 60 years ago that I operated as a kid on our ranch/farm growing up. Power steering was not as good etc. etc.

Over all, nice tractor, typical bullet proof Kubota tractor, just seemed it has lost something with these new tractors they are selling now.

Just .02 from a 70 YO guy, but I do have a lot of seat time on tractors from the Farmall F20 and up.

I may just be spoiled to the 7800. I had been thinking of trading but have kind of cooled on that. The LX series looks interesting, but the price and electronics makes me shy.

Anyway, just thought I would share.......

Edit: corrected the model #

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds like an L2501 if it doesn't have fender mounted controls. Good machine, but explicitly an economy tractor. So review makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Sounds like an L2501 if it doesn't have fender mounted controls. Good machine, but explicitly an economy tractor. So review makes sense.
Probably but seems odd a 2501 would come off the ground with a load when a B wouldn’t. I have filled my bucket to the max and never had my tires come off the ground. And I have picked up 1200 lb hay cubes. The standard L series is most definitely a utilitarian tractor. That made sense to me. I don’t spend 16 hours a day in the seat. If I did then a cab, radio, and bells and whistles would be a priority. It’s a tractor not a luxury sedan. Paying for a digital dash etc was money I couldn’t spend on other things like implements.

rjent

Equipment
Jan 20, 2020
Yeah, sorry L2501. I have since then found this review that says the same thing although it is a 3301. FWIW

"
"

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ive lifted the rear tires off the ground several times on my L. Even with having the back hoe or bush hog on the back.

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Ive lifted the rear tires off the ground several times on my L. Even with having the back hoe or bush hog on the back.
Not saying it can’t be done but hauling the same load as a B and the B’s wheels don’t. Hmmm

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t think you can haul the same load on a B as an L, so it’s doing an apple and oranges review by a person who prefers apples. Of course, there are other potential factors like amount of air in the tires, shorter loader, etc.

I’ve found most “reviews” by people who own something else are like this one that attempts to justify why they have the less capable tractor. It’s fine though but worth what we are paying for it. In any case, a “review” by someone who spent a little time on an L means nothing to those of use who’ve spent a lot more time on ours. ;)

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Coming from a B2650 to an L2501 I find the L *much* more stable, I believe the rear track with R4's was at least 4-5" wider while the ground clearance was about the same. The L525 loader lifts about the same but higher and the loader is heavier built, for instance an unbalanced load that would slightly twist the arms on the B loader does not do so to the L loader. The L2501 is probably 900# heavier than a B2650/LX2610.
I can't comment on what loader a B7800 uses or its overall weight. But with air only in both B7800 and L2501 tires, same ballast on the back, and with the same size buckets filled to capacity with stone, it seems odd that the rear of the L would come up more than the B. That is certainly not the case with B2650 and L2501.
I can certainly understand the lighter B7800 with 5 more HP feeling peppier even though the L's 3 cylinder 1.6L engine is a bit larger then the 7800 4 cylinder. And the L controls are more basic, but I was glad to have a clutch again for gently engaging the PTO.

rjent

Equipment
Jan 20, 2020
... that attempts to justify why they have the less capable tractor...
That argument CAN go both ways LOL.

I was just trying to give my impression on a new Kubota. I'll take my 30 HP and B any day, thank you very much.... :cool:

Besides, it is a tractor, enough said!

rjent

Equipment
Jan 20, 2020
One thing I've noticed is I never see any B7800 tractors for sale!
Very popular model about 2005-2006?
2004. I have been offered (just the other day) a lot of money for it. I do get it, but she is 17 years old now. Quite a delema for me as they don't really make a replacement for it now.... :sneaky:

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
One thing I've noticed is I never see any B7800 tractors for sale!
Very popular model about 2005-2006?
Don’t see a lot of Ford Pintos for sale either. Not much of a litmus. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The op discussed impressions of the L2501 vs an old B model. My response and continued opinion is that the B may be a fine tractor but stating that a heavier tractor with stronger loader and hydraulic pump is somehow tipsy and comes off the ground implies that a B7800 would not have is crazy. The 30 hp has nothing to do with that. I really don’t care what tractor someone owns, if they are happy with it that’s what counts. Say you like your B7800 better than an L, great. Very glad you like your tractor. Saying it is more stable and imply it won’t bring the back wheels off the ground when the weight and fel are not as heavy or powerful is being ridiculous.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
2004. I have been offered (just the other day) a lot of money for it. I do get it, but she is 17 years old now. Quite a delema for me as they don't really make a replacement for it now.... :sneaky:
Some people prefer non-DPF machines. A more than 25HP tractor without DPF isn't a thing you can get any more, so not there isn't a direct replacement in that sense. In another sense the LX3310 is the direct replacement for that machine - it's a 33HP engine in a B chassis.

The L I believe to be heavier and stronger than the B. But in the L2501 (as opposed to L3301) it has less HP. Even so, I'd expect the L to be more stable and to lift more. It's possible it's lighter in the back end, because the loader is substantially heavier and I think sticks out further. Properly ballasted the L should be more capable, but unballasted I wouldn't be surprised if the rear end felt lighter.

Stoney423

Equipment
B7300
Dec 3, 2021
Johnson city Tn
I have bought two new Kubotas over the last 20 years or so. My first Kubota was a B7300 16HP with BHL and a plethora of attachments from tiller to rotary cutter to post hole digger. The 7300 was traded on a B7800HSTDT unit which I still have and love. A friend of mine has borrowed the B for years for big and little jobs and mostly for the backhoe. He just bought a LX2501 BHL and just brought it to me to evaluate (tough job, but somebody has to do it LOL). So I had a major project building an extra driveway on a 10% incline that I had been putting off. His BH isn't delivered yet, so using the FEL and my landpride box blade I moved most of the dirt using his front loader and BoxBlade while the 7800's BH was used as a scarifier to loosen the 6 to 7 feet deep layer of packed ancient dirt to build the DW. Put about 16 hours on the LX and here is my assessment.

First, power was adequate but I could definitely feel the difference between the L's 25HP 3 clys and the B's 30HP 4 clys. The extra weight of the L was noticeable and was handy for packing each layer of moved dirt as the DW took shape. The L seemed "tippy" with one of the rear tires coming off the ground sometime for no apparent reason, particularly with a good load on the front loader. I just don't experience that with the B, even with no "balast" like a BH or Boxblade on the back. I was kind of shocked with the crudity of the controls placements. I am so impressed with the fender mounted levers, it just seemed I was going back to the old tractors of 50 or 60 years ago that I operated as a kid on our ranch/farm growing up. Power steering was not as good etc. etc.

Over all, nice tractor, typical bullet proof Kubota tractor, just seemed it has lost something with these new tractors they are selling now.

Just .02 from a 70 YO guy, but I do have a lot of seat time on tractors from the Farmall F20 and up.

I may just be spoiled to the 7800. I had been thinking of trading but have kind of cooled on that. The LX series looks interesting, but the price and electronics makes me shy.

Anyway, just thought I would share.......

Edit: corrected the model #
Hello,
I have a B7300 , was wondering when you had yours what tiller did you have and how well did it perform. Only have a 1/2 acre garden to tend to but thinking a tiller will make life easier. Don’t want to buy the wrong one.
Thanks
Stoney

rjent

Equipment
Jan 20, 2020
Hello,
I have a B7300 , was wondering when you had yours what tiller did you have and how well did it perform. Only have a 1/2 acre garden to tend to but thinking a tiller will make life easier. Don’t want to buy the wrong one.
Thanks
Stoney
Hey Stoney. I have the RTA 1542 Land Pride tiller. The tiller is a 42 inch tiller that is actually a little small for the 7800 but was matched for the 7300. The 7300 will do an amazing job on a 1/2 acre of ground (actually do much bigger plots). New or used in the 42 inch size should serve you well. The tractor has plenty of power for that size and does an amazing job. I wish I could find another in the used market. Great little tractor. The PTO is rated at about 12.5 HP so look for a tiller in that range.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The FEL lift capacity on the L2501 is anemic at best, and a BH77 weighs 850 lbs no bucket. Not only that but it sticks out like a sore thumb off the back. I am surprised you can get the rears off the ground before the FEL hits relief.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The FEL lift capacity on the L2501 is anemic at best, and a BH77 weighs 850 lbs no bucket. Not only that but it sticks out like a sore thumb off the back. I am surprised you can get the rears off the ground before the FEL hits relief.
Anemic compared to a L 60 series with the upgraded loader, but a monster compared to a B or BX. In any case, there is a lot more lift capacity down low especially using the curl function. Neil Messick demonstrated it in one of his videos.

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Anemic compared to a L 60 series with the upgraded loader, but a monster compared to a B or BX. In any case, there is a lot more lift capacity down low especially using the curl function. Neil Messick demonstrated it in one of his videos.
I have always felt the L01 up to the 47HP loaders are under rated for the size of the machine. Not sure why Kubota cant get another 400lbs or so out of them.
No doubt, just surprised. You can get the back end off the ground. However you are doing it first hand so if you did, you did. What are you lifting!