KX71

Hans Peter

Equipment
B7500 (not HST), KX71-3S, SVL75-2
Oct 13, 2021
Charleston, SC
Hey folks, I'm looking for the digital instrument panel on kx71-3s... The plastic cover got brittle and cracked, water got in, the aux switch broke. After careful disassembly and inspection, I found the SW2 micro-switch corroded on the circuit board.
I'm looking for another micro-switch to solder in, but... since the cover is just going to continue leaking, I thought I'd look up the whole panel assembly replacement - it doesn't seem to exist ! After multiple searches with multiple variables on multiple search engines, including the official Kubota parts site, I've got *zilch*nada*nuthin*

Anybody know what's up with that ?

Hans Peter

Equipment
Oct 13, 2021
Charleston, SC
Wow, the price...

But yep, sure is! - my search at Messick's didn't bring this up - you've got search superpowers, friend, thank you for taking the time. I've literally *never* asked for help on a forum before, because I usually, eventually, figure it out myself, but this one had me stumped. Thanks again !

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
No problem.

Could you possibly get by with just part 020 in the diagram. I have no experience with your kx, but from what you describe maybe you just need that and not the whole assembly? Messicks has it in stock, maybe a call or email to them could get you a picture of the part to see if its all you need.

Hans Peter

Equipment
Oct 13, 2021
Charleston, SC
Good idea. Hmm...but I'll bet that's just the weatherproof cover panel, without the electronic circuit boards/LED display... Which, yeah, I'll still need that new cover, even if I can refurb the SW2 microswitch. I'm doing some fine work on that with drops of wd-40 and working/turning the plunger, then flushing with wd-40 again hoping tiny rust particles will suspend and come out - seems to be a simple contact mechanical switch, even though it's soldered into the circuit board - and it's only about ¼inch diameter

Hope to test it this evening, I'll let you know - fingers crossed !

Reactions: 1 user

Hans Peter

Equipment
Oct 13, 2021
Charleston, SC
No go on just de-crudding the microswitch - headed to an electronics shop today to have them de-solder it, see if we can find any ID on it to help in getting the right replacement "tactile sub-miniature micro-switch" with the correct specs

Hans Peter

Equipment
Oct 13, 2021
Charleston, SC
No go on just de-crudding the microswitch - headed to an electronics shop today to have them de-solder it, see if we can find any ID on it to help in getting the right replacement "tactile sub-miniature micro-switch" with the correct specs
Update!
After some searching, I found a an electronics shop that really knows electronics, not just game consoles... I showed them the bad "sub-miniature" micro-switch; they replaced the switch, tested it electronically, and had it back to me within 24 hours for a field test. I plugged the assembly back into the KX, and she works perfectly 👍
All for about 140 bucks, instead of almost $1700 for a replacement!
I put some greenhouse plastic repair tape (6mil, clear) over the cracks in the "weatherproof" cover to restore it to waterproof. Good to go for a couple thousand more hours 👍

Reactions: 1 user

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Update!
After some searching, I found a an electronics shop that really knows electronics, not just game consoles... I showed them the bad "sub-miniature" micro-switch; they replaced the switch, tested it electronically, and had it back to me within 24 hours for a field test. I plugged the assembly back into the KX, and she works perfectly 👍
All for about 140 bucks, instead of almost $1700 for a replacement!
I put some greenhouse plastic repair tape (6mil, clear) over the cracks in the "weatherproof" cover to restore it to waterproof. Good to go for a couple thousand more hours 👍

Wow you are good. I have a sack full of KX71s. They are all new right now but I will likely have that problem in the years to come. This was a great repair. I hope I can remember it.