Twisted quick attach rod, how to fix?

JBMaine

Equipment
B2650
Sep 6, 2021
Maine
Hi there! Just got my B2650 and wanted to attach my HLR forks. It's on the front loader but only one of the two quick attach rods (if I'm using the right terminology) is slight twisted so I can't fully lock the HLRnin place safely.

Attaching pictures to show the good and bad side. The good side is completely flat and slides in, the bad side is slightly angled enough that I can't brute force it in place.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Could you take a grinder and remove off enough material on the fork QA plate all the way across to allow it to lock in place? I say all the way across because on mine I have wiggle room a little right or left is fine when lining up to attach.

Maybe when the piece was welded to the QA on the forks it was slightly off.

Good luck.
Jay

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Look at it from the top side. Remove the loader. Make sure the pins have been greased. If they haven’t been greased, then use a grease gun and lube the zerk fittings. Also, put a little grease on the flat side of the pins where they slide into the slot. if nothing appears bent, it could be that the pin that is twisted may just need some lube to free up and rotate back into the correct orientation. I know that I have to add a little grease to those flat parts of the pin or they won’t go into that loader bucket slot without a cheater pipe. Once I grease them, they usually work fine.

Reactions: 1 user

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hi there! Just got my B2650 and wanted to attach my HLR forks. It's on the front loader but only one of the two quick attach rods (if I'm using the right terminology) is slight twisted so I can't fully lock the HLRnin place safely.

Attaching pictures to show the good and bad side. The good side is completely flat and slides in, the bad side is slightly angled enough that I can't brute force it in place.

Any suggestions?
I took a look at the parts diagram after looking at my own B2650 QA. It would seem that part numbers 70 and 100 can be twisted. Just a thought. See what you think.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I took a look at the parts diagram after looking at my own B2650 QA. It would seem that part numbers 70 and 100 can be twisted. Just a thought. See what you think.
I agree. But if the pin is dry, it may not be twisted but just out of orientation. Take it apart and see if the rod is twisted.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I agree. But if the pin is dry, it may not be twisted but just out of orientation. Take it apart and see if the rod is twisted.
I should not have said "twisted" because what I really meant is exactly what you said. I mean "twisted" as in rotated into its proper orientation.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
So what orients the pin, is it 90 in the illustration? Could you tweak it back in place with a pipe wrench?

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
So what orients the pin, is it 90 in the illustration? Could you tweak it back in place with a pipe wrench?
Hello Lynnmor,

This is a bit of a guess, but I would say that nothing more than friction keeps in position. There is nothing that I can see that would shift the bottom pin in use other than a misaligned pin receiver. I suspect that that JBMaine's issue could be resolved with lube. If is is dry, and it sure looks it, it may not be rotating to align with the receiver slot. Again, a guess.

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Hello Lynnmor,

This is a bit of a guess, but I would say that nothing more than friction keeps in position. There is nothing that I can see that would shift the bottom pin in use other than a misaligned pin receiver. I suspect that that JBMaine's issue could be resolved with lube. If is is dry, and it sure looks it, it may not be rotating to align with the receiver slot. Again, a guess.
My brother in law had a similar problem with the pin not engaging and once we lubed it and worked the release handle a few times, we were able to re-orient the pin and it worked just fine afterwards.

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
JbMaine,

I finally had a chance to go look at mine. You have a couple of options to realign the pin. The first thing you can try is to drop the bucket so you can get to the mechanism. Where the tension bolt attaches from the locking handle to the pin is a flat face with a pin thru it connecting the locking handle to the pin. Put an an adjustable wrench on the flat part and try to rotate the pin back to the correct orientation. This should do it and then you wouldn’t;t have to take anything apart.

If this doesn’t work, remove the small pin that connects the tension bolt to the latch pin. Rotate the latch pin to the correct orientation and reinstall the connecting pin. The tension bolt will rotate to line up with the latch pin. Sorry I can’t get pics but you will see what I’m talking about when you drop the bucket. Again, make sure the bucket latch pin is greased so it will rotate. As a matter of fact, with the bucked off, grease it, they work the latch handle to distribute the grease.

PM if you have any questions.