Soft Cab

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
I’m pretty sure there have been threads in the past about soft cabs but the search function on this forum isn’t ideal.

That being said, has anybody looked at putting a soft cab on their tractor kind of like a soft cab for a golf cart or UTV?

Reactions: 1 users

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
When I lived in the north (Brrrrrr, it was for work) I put one of these on a B7500 and it was pretty good. Lots of room inside. Here’s on for a L2501.

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I am anxious to hear any reports about a SOFT (canvas/plastic) cab on a BX or other small subcompact tractor. Did you like it, was it a pain, did it fog up, did it rip in the first windstorm, etc. etc.

We get tons of snow and relatively high winds where I live on top of a bit of a ridge/mountain.

I can't really afford a 'proper' tractor cab, and even if I could, I have to be very careful ,as my garage is much lower than most, so if I buy the wrong one I might have to park it outside...which I am not willing to do.

No reviews on soft tractor cabs?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I am anxious to hear any reports about a SOFT (canvas/plastic) cab on a BX or other small subcompact tractor. Did you like it, was it a pain, did it fog up, did it rip in the first windstorm, etc. etc.

We get tons of snow and relatively high winds where I live on top of a bit of a ridge/mountain.

I can't really afford a 'proper' tractor cab, and even if I could, I have to be very careful ,as my garage is much lower than most, so if I buy the wrong one I might have to park it outside...which I am not willing to do.

No reviews on soft tractor cabs?
I have an Original Tractor Cab on a Wheelhorse tractor that I use with my 44" 2 stage snowblower. That cab is the same for nearly all tractors from the bottom of the windows up. If you decide on a soft cab, get the glass windshield and electric wiper if you will blow snow or get out in bad weather. Yes, there will be some fogging and the wiper is necessary, on the side windows I use a soft, clean towel so that the clear plastic doesn't get scratched. I have used it for about 25 years with no tearing, the plastic is just now showing signs of age with a few pin holes. I do partially disassemble and store it in the basement during the no snow season, and that surely helps preserve it.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Anchovy.....I just installed the OTC soft cab on my Kubota! I don't have any experience with it yet but I will say this. It is more of a wind screen than a cab. Its not near air tight. There are openings here and there so I consider it a nice wind screen with a roof, but I new that before I bought it! It was a bear to put together only because the instructions are less than ideal, but its doable. Im sure I will enjoy it in the winter as the wind hardly never stops blowing here! It will be nice to be enclosed from the elements, rain, snow and sleet! The cab is a cheap alternative to nothing at all! I will remove it in the summer so as to retain its longevity! If you leave it outside 24/7 I think the plastic would degrade before long.

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
Anchovy.....I just installed the OTC soft cab on my Kubota! I don't have any experience with it yet but I will say this. It is more of a wind screen than a cab. Its not near air tight. There are openings here and there so I consider it a nice wind screen with a roof, but I new that before I bought it! It was a bear to put together only because the instructions are less than ideal, but its doable. Im sure I will enjoy it in the winter as the wind hardly never stops blowing here! It will be nice to be enclosed from the elements, rain, snow and sleet! The cab is a cheap alternative to nothing at all! I will remove it in the summer so as to retain its longevity! If you leave it outside 24/7 I think the plastic would degrade before long.
Yeah, I’m just looking for something for the winter really, so I can plow snow without turning into a popsicle

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
The one I posted the link to, I used for 5 winters. It was mostly air tight, but no soft cab will be completely. if It’s sunny out, it can get kinda warm inside with a coat on. It was stout enough and wind had no affect on it. the panels zipped together with heavy duty zippers and had Velcro stays to attach it to the frame. I stored it in the flat Box it came in during off season. I used the canopy frame it came with and fabricated a sheet metal canopy cover for it for during the summer.
it’s nice to be blowing snow inside a cab and you can drink yer coffee while doing it :)

I sold it with the tractor some years ago and moved back south.

D

Deleted member 47704

The landlord for the building my business was in, had a soft cab on his Kubota, the zippers froze up once and he was stuck inside.:ROFLMAO:
He was too cheap to put zipper lube on it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I made a hard cab for one of my CJ-5 JEEPS, simple, 2x2s,1/4" plywood, drywall screws. back them wood was cheap(4 decades ago),so a few 'test pieces' became firewood.....
Have no idea the cost of a complete 'soft top' but usually you'll have enough scraps of wood to bodge a cab.
I know if I get the B2400, it'll be on my project list.....

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I made a hard cab for one of my CJ-5 JEEPS, simple, 2x2s,1/4" plywood, drywall screws. back them wood was cheap(4 decades ago),so a few 'test pieces' became firewood.....
Have no idea the cost of a complete 'soft top' but usually you'll have enough scraps of wood to bodge a cab.
Post up pics of it. I’d love to see it

D

Deleted member 47704

With the price of plywood it wood be cheaper to buy a Curtis cab...

Wood is coming down, if you paint it when done they don't look too much like an outhouse.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I have the original tractor cab for my BX1880. It came with a ceramic electric heater but I've never seen the need to hook it up. I just wear a jacket and gloves blowing snow and it's just wonderful not to get blasted with blowing snow or sleet and freezing rain. It doesn't fog up for me at all, maybe because I am not using heater? I did get that glass window and the manual operated wiper for it and works great. I would recommend this setup to anyone. My only real complaint, and this is minor... They give you the all metal locking nuts which are annoying to assemble. So far I've just dealt with it but one of these years I may just get some nylocks from the hardware store. I've had it few years now, not a scratch on it. I put it on before first snow fall take it off after. Initial assembly takes time but when you take it off you don't have to completely disassemble, so putting it back on is much faster. I also mounted some lights to it, with a plug on the wires, so I can just put the cab on and plug in the lights and ready to go.