Chin Strap & Grill Guard - Total Protection

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I posted back in March on here showing a grill guard I fitted on my MX5800. I mentioned in that post that I purchased another grill guard for my L3901 from Lown Performance. This 2 piece model came with a very nice "chin strap" lower piece which boxes in the space below the grill guard to give total protection from below, attached a a few photos of it installed.

I think a grill guard is a great idea, but the chin strap is very much a requirement too. The chin strap stops anything coming up from below that would go behind the grill guard. This is a real possibility in heavy woodland areas, particularly in areas that I am clearing and cutting. I purchased mine unpainted, they are now available powder coated at $220 for both the mesh grill guard and the chin strap, they have other models of grill guard too with chin straps. This supplier packed the items very well and included all required quality hardware that was required to fit both pieces.

The chin strap provides an extra piece of protection and an extra piece of mind. A great idea.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That appears very well designed!

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I posted back in March on here showing a grill guard I fitted on my MX5800. I mentioned in that post that I purchased another grill guard for my L3901 from Lown Performance. This 2 piece model came with a very nice "chin strap" lower piece which boxes in the space below the grill guard to give total protection from below, attached a a few photos of it installed.

I think a grill guard is a great idea, but the chin strap is very much a requirement too. The chin strap stops anything coming up from below that would go behind the grill guard. This is a real possibility in heavy woodland areas, particularly in areas that I am clearing and cutting. I purchased mine unpainted, they are now available powder coated at $220 for both the mesh grill guard and the chin strap, they have other models of grill guard too with chin straps. This supplier packed the items very well and included all required quality hardware that was required to fit both pieces.

The chin strap provides an extra piece of protection and an extra piece of mind. A great idea.
I agree with Geohorn, they look well made. I have asked them to let me know when they will be available for my B2650. I will have to make a slight adjustment in the way I lift and lower the hood. Now, I reach in through the brush guard.

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
And it looks like a good place to carry a chain or the like.
Yep, it is. I got mine on yesterday.
UpNorthM8 - I am wondering how you’re gonna tilt the grill with it on the outside of the chin strap? Mine would not work without it being to the inside.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Yep, it is. I got mine on yesterday.
UpNorthM8 - I am wondering how you’re gonna tilt the grill with it on the outside of the chin strap? Mine would not work without it being to the inside.
The mesh grill guard and frame tilts forward with no issue and does not touch the chin strap lower piece. So it operates just as before.

ac209

Equipment
L3301 w/loader and 60" rotary mower, EA Grapple
Jul 1, 2021
Jacobson, Minnesota
Something that I fabbed up in a few days. Hopefully it is strong enough. I have read issues with people putting branches through the grille.
Kubota 001.jpg
Kubota 002.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Fastbuck101

Equipment
L 2501
Mar 6, 2021
New Mexico
The mesh grill guard and frame tilts forward with no issue and does not touch the chin strap lower piece. So it operates just as before.
I just received my grill guard/chin guard, and I can't seem to figure out how to mount it, if it's high enough to clear the chin guard (so it tips behind it), then the upper brackets on the grill mesh are too high to bolt through the factory guard. Any pointers?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I just received my grill guard/chin guard, and I can't seem to figure out how to mount it, if it's high enough to clear the chin guard (so it tips behind it), then the upper brackets on the grill mesh are too high to bolt through the factory guard. Any pointers?
The best reference I can give is to mount the top of the mesh guard with the top horizontal cross member of the original tractor guard frame, you can see this in my photo at the start of this post.

Let me know if this helps. I am due some tractor time tomorrow and can take more photos or measurements.

I really like the chin strap and guard from Loan Performance, I get into a lot of woodland rough spots and believe that the cost is minimal for the protection offered.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Reactions: 1 user