Small tractor advice

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Why would this be an issue?
Emission stuff is expensive and adds some complexity? Needing to run close to max power using more fuel all the time to reduce regens? Remember the OP's talking about 1 to 1 1/2 acres, surely he wouldn't need more than a 20-25 hp tractor.

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
Emission stuff is expensive and adds some complexity? Needing to run close to max power using more fuel all the time to reduce regens? Remember the OP's talking about 1 to 1 1/2 acres, surely he wouldn't need more than a 20-25 hp tractor.
The modern emissions equipment using more fuel is a urban legend. Regen cycles are definitely reduced with running at higher RPM's. However, I find that at least on my L6060 monitoring its fuel usage (it tells you fuel usage per hour) my fuel efficiency goes up running at higher RPM when working versus putting around the property at low RPM just doing "stuff".

Completely agree for what the original poster described a 20-25 HP tractor is probably sufficient.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I wouldn't say an emission tractor uses more fuel than a non emission one when worked the same, at the same rpm. But doing say continuous loader work or rear blade grading at 1,700 RPM will be quieter and use less fuel than running the engine at full PTO rpm. This is my experience.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
A DPF tractor will use more fuel, at least by a little, to do the regen. Will it be noticeable on a small engine, I don’t know. You for sure can watch the MPG drop on a diesel truck when regens occur.

As far as BX vs B, etc is concerned. The B is significantly larger and more capable with more ground clearance and lifts higher and as one person mentioned it also has 3 ranges instead of two. The way the mower attaches is also different in the different Bs/LX.

Those could be advantages or disadvantages. I’d watch the Messicks videos on the series. I thought they were pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
If nothing else, it seems that with the regen stuff, it's a more complex system, meaning more to fail.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
I don't know much about diesel emissions systems. Catalytic converters require and add heat!! When they put them on the Harleys, it started cooking us riders. Recirc'ing unburnt fuel is not much of a performance penalty and may evening bump fuel efficiency.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't know much about diesel emissions systems. Catalytic converters require and add heat!! When they put them on the Harleys, it started cooking us riders. Recirc'ing unburnt fuel is not much of a performance penalty and may evening bump fuel efficiency.
Most of the problems are in the DPF just like diesel trucks. They have a collector that is porous that catches fumes that the Catalytic converter didn’t stop.

Once the flow is reduced according the sensors, the system goes into regen controlled by electronics which diverts fuel into the device to burn off what’s been collected. Since the fuel is now being used to burn past the engine exhaust, it doesn’t produce more usable power.

The electronics “decides” if it needs to happen or not. That’s usually where the issues start. They are programmed for what they think are the normal uses. If your use doesn’t match that they account for, it can lead to issues eventually.

If I was going to buy a newer high HP tractor, I wouldn’t be able to avoid it. But, I didn’t really need a high HP large tractor, so I bought a L2501 and skipped those “potential” issues.

Reactions: 1 user