Cautioning your Family about Operations

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I get that the operator's attention can be divided when backdragging with the bucket, and that one tends to get into a complacent rhythm going back and forth, but she followed you as you were driving forward, stopped when you stopped and then you backed into her. Yes she could have hit the horn and maybe you would have heard it over the tractor, but I'm not really seeing how it was in any way her fault.

I'm going to suggest you add a step to your routine: Have a look in the intended direction of travel before setting the machine in motion.
Torch, I get it that you have it in your mind whatever you had that prompted you to post that…. But the fact is …. I was working in the middle of my 1500-acre ranch. It’s a MILE LONG road from the ranch security entrance-gate to where I was working and a full Quarter-Mile of straight drive from where she first saw me going back and forth working that gravel. Like many folks, my wife dirves her car looking only about 30-feet in front of her hood…and since I know that‘s the way she drives it’s entirely my own fault that I didn’t anticipate this sequence of events. (stoopid me)
YES… I agree that I’m partially responsible for the incident… but MAINLY because I had failed to ever instruct her never to approach me from behind if I’m working the tractor. It was secondarily my own damn fault for not setting out orange safety-cones, roping off the area with yellow “caution” tape, and not posting reflective-vest-attired traffic-marshallers 360-degrees around my worksite.
Next time Butch says “let’s go to Bolivia…. then lets GO to Bolivia!”

Next time!

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Something about "keep your head on a swivel"......
I have developed a persistent habit of glancing back behind me and the tractor as soon as my foot hits the reverse pedal.

ALWAYS.

It's like growing the proverbial eyes on the back of your head.

SMART PEOPLE WITH TRACTOR SAFETY EDUCATION STILL MAKE MISTAKES OR HAVE ACCIDENTS.

And things out of anyone's control happen, with the end result of something being behind you suddenly since last look.

LOOK BACK FIRST. Then there's zero "wondering when she'll show up" issues.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I was blowing a rather deep snow at my rental when the renter walked to the mailbox. He got the mail and proceeded to stand there in front of me and read it while I sat there with the equipment running at WOT and he was totally oblivious to the world. And he is allowed to vote.

..........and breed too !!!!!!!!

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
head on a swivel for sure!! my wife and kids have received a safety brief on interrupting my tractoring.. 90% of the time I am wearing bluetooth ear defenders and i will turn my ringer on on my phone so they can call or message me and generally when i get to the end of something (ie dumping the bucket) i will check it if it beeped. look at the machine like you would a helicopter. The key is always EYE CONTACT

1627561978262.png

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have been the guy on the machine (not always Kubota) for many years as well as the guy doing grunt work while others were on the machine for just as many. Have also investigated numerous equipment v worker accidents. It’s a shared responsibility. Crash277’s post is on point. At least in NC, even the courts agree it’s a shared responsibility.

Anyone who may be around working equipment needs to understand that or they need to stay well out of the area until the machine is shut down and operator leaves the operating station.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I knew a grandfather that backed over and killed his young grandson. The details are unimportant but the tragedy was real and he never recovered.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As a dairy farm kid, the hazards were many.

Was common for kids to start operating tractors and machinery at a very young age.

Had classmates hurt and killed on their farms.

Only takes a second.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
GeoHorn,-

I'm apologize for any offense my post caused. I offered it in the spirit of constructive criticism and did not intend to sound disparaging. I know how easily one can get focused on the task at hand. In my line, we refer to "tunnel vision" and "candle-moth syndrome" when we talk about the importance of remembering to take in the big picture too. I have experienced it myself, on more than one occasion.

From your description of the incident, I saw a missed opportunity to avoid the accident and think there is a lesson there for all of us. We can't control the actions of others, but we can try to modify our own habits to account for the unexpected.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
GeoHorn,-

I'm apologize for any offense my post caused. I offered it in the spirit of constructive criticism and did not intend to sound disparaging. I know how easily one can get focused on the task at hand. In my line, we refer to "tunnel vision" and "candle-moth syndrome" when we talk about the importance of remembering to take in the big picture too. I have experienced it myself, on more than one occasion.

From your description of the incident, I saw a missed opportunity to avoid the accident and think there is a lesson there for all of us. We can't control the actions of others, but we can try to modify our own habits to account for the unexpected.

thats one item very few consider when doing any task. i found sometimes id be working away on the BH and you get into a groove where youre barely even thinking. thats when i take a break. even if its just 2 min. hop off get a drink and hop back on.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This kinda hit home.
Been dealing with some family issues and was backing out of the garage in kind of a hurry with some food & stuff. Thankfully I was looking back because the 75+yr old woman from across the street that my wife & I help out was coming up the driveway, about 12-15ft behind me. Had I not been paying attention....
She saw the garage door go up and came to check on us, and she never thought about coming up the drive directly behind the car.
It ended well, but was still scary.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I bought a pair just like that, but I have no 🤬 tractor.
Look on the bright side. You don’t have to be concerned with all this tractor safety stuff since you don’t have a tractor. 🙂

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
GeoHorn,-

Torch,…absolutely NO OFFENSE taken at your comments…. The ‘net just don’t carry voice inflections or my ‘tongue-in-cheek’ smart-Azz response would have been clearer.
My original post should show everyone that I have a degree of safety-consciousness …or I wouldn’t have vulnerably shared my story…. and I simply wanted to let everyone have a reminder WE ALL SHARE the responsibility to keep our loved ones SAFE and that included keeping them INFORMED as well as looking-out for them while we’re operating.
It’s clearly my fault for not having already taught her the hazards of approaching the tractor and also my fault for not looking back EACH TIME I reversed. (Unfortunately I’m in my 70s and the neck don’t wanna turn like it did in earlier times. I can barely look 45-degrees left/right and although I installed an overhead mirror under my canopy…. I failed to check it EACH time I reversed.
Not blaming anyone but myself for this one… just revealing how the danger wasn’t apparent to others also.
Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So she stopped and held her position and panicked/frozen as I backed into her car. 😱
Sounds like she was stuck on the first O of the OODA Loop. The "obvious" action under the circumstances would be for her to back up quickly, but without training, continuous training and practice, most of us are doomed to fall into the same trap of inaction.

O - Observe
O - Orient
D - Decide
A - Act

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I cut grass for a friend who's a pilot for a billionaire up here as well as a flying instructor. He took me flying for 2-1/2 hours a few weeks ago in a Top Cub and we talked about his mental process when taking off. He has a mental flow chart of what he'll do if A, B or C happens at X, Y or Z altitude. We could all practice this in numerous day to day situations. What would you do if .....

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
When I had a skid steer, there was always a lot of backing up and rear visibility wasn't great. I installed a wide rear view mirror and tried to remember to check it every time I went in reverse. In the case of an incident when one vehicle backs into a stationary vehicle, the fault is 90% the person who didn't look before backing up.

Your post is a good lesson for us all.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I do worry about running over stuff. We’ve trained the dogs and grandkids to fully avoid all vehicles. One of the main benefits of an open station is more situational awareness. I do wonder if someone some day is going to run into me on the gravel road where we live when I’m doing maintenance to it. But, there is usually a big cloud of dust where I am. ;) I think that’s early warning to them.