L245DT loses power under load after 30 minutes

Iowal245dt

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Jul 28, 2021
Iowa
I bought an L245DT six years ago. Its been great tractor for me, I love it. With exception of this issue, it runs very strong and has been very reliable.
About 2 years ago it started losing power when it gets hot under load (with PTO engaged running brush hog for half hour cutting weeds). The most obvious symptom is that it sounds like the engine bogs down, loses rpm's, and then the engine flutters, sometimes almost stalling, other times
stalling. If i try to put any load on it while that is occurring, it stalls immediately. The only work around i have found so far is to let it cool down for a half hour or more. Then when i restart it, it runs fine with full power.
I installed a new fuel filter six months ago, about (100 engine hours).
I have some decent gas engine mechanical ability, but i consider my self a real novice with diesel engines.
Im looking for some basic trouble shooting options to isolate the problem.
Any suggestions to troubleshoot is greatly aporeciated!

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
I bought an L245DT six years ago. Its been great tractor for me, I love it. With exception of this issue, it runs very strong and has been very reliable.
About 2 years ago it started losing power when it gets hot under load (with PTO engaged running brush hog for half hour cutting weeds). The most obvious symptom is that it sounds like the engine bogs down, loses rpm's, and then the engine flutters, sometimes almost stalling, other times
stalling. If i try to put any load on it while that is occurring, it stalls immediately. The only work around i have found so far is to let it cool down for a half hour or more. Then when i restart it, it runs fine with full power.
I installed a new fuel filter six months ago, about (100 engine hours).
I have some decent gas engine mechanical ability, but i consider my self a real novice with diesel engines.
Im looking for some basic trouble shooting options to isolate the problem.
Any suggestions to troubleshoot is greatly aporeciated!
I would say maybe you have answered your question. If you're letting it cool down and it gains power again. This tractor does not have a temperature gauge. Check the tractor to be sure you're not overheating. Radiator could be plugged up internally or externally. The other simple thing you could do also is adjust the engine valves. Have you checked to be sure you have good flow from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Blow the radiator out from back to front or spray your hose through the radiator back to front. You would be amazed how much dust and junk can accumulate how fast. Check to make sure the fuel cap vent works. You can loosen or remove to cap to be sure you're not running a partial vacuum. Pull the fuel line as close to the tank as possible to check for good fuel flow out of the tank. It would not hurt to check the air cleaner to make sure it's clear, too.

Reactions: 1 user

Iowal245dt

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Jul 28, 2021
Iowa
I would say maybe you have answered your question. If you're letting it cool down and it gains power again. This tractor does not have a temperature gauge. Check the tractor to be sure you're not overheating. Radiator could be plugged up internally or externally. The other simple thing you could do also is adjust the engine valves. Have you checked to be sure you have good flow from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. Good luck.
It does not seem to be overheating (no whistle, no boil over, no loss of coolant fluid), but I will check deeper to be sure. I did replace the radiator new two years ago, but I will drain and have it pressure tested to be sure. I also just bought a 160 degree thermostat, and am about to install it. Its a long shot, but maybe the old 180 degree thermostat one was not opening enough? I will also try to find someone to adjust the engine valves as you suggest. I will also remove the fuel tank, and replace the fuel lines to make sure I have good flow from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. I love this old tractor, so a big Thank You for the excellent suggestions to solve this issue, they are greatly appreciated!

Iowal245dt

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Jul 28, 2021
Iowa
Blow the radiator out from back to front or spray your hose through the radiator back to front. You would be amazed how much dust and junk can accumulate how fast. Check to make sure the fuel cap vent works. You can loosen or remove to cap to be sure you're not running a partial vacuum. Pull the fuel line as close to the tank as possible to check for good fuel flow out of the tank. It would not hurt to check the air cleaner to make sure it's clear, too.
Clean and pressure test radiator, will do!
I will also check the fuel cap vent (the possibility of a partial vacuum never occurred to me, but with the symptoms, I can imagine it.
I will pull the fuel line to check for good fuel flow out of the tank.
I replaced the air filter this spring but since I put 100 hours on it since, its a good idea to double check.
I have to say I'm humbled and appreciative for the advice and experience you folks share!
Many thanks!

MRTSRT8

Equipment
CL400, L3800 HST
Jul 29, 2021
Horatio AR
Clean and pressure test radiator, will do!
I will also check the fuel cap vent (the possibility of a partial vacuum never occurred to me, but with the symptoms, I can imagine it.
I will pull the fuel line to check for good fuel flow out of the tank.
I replaced the air filter this spring but since I put 100 hours on it since, its a good idea to double check.
I have to say I'm humbled and appreciative for the advice and experience you folks share!
Many thanks!
Hello, My first time here.
My Father-in-law Has a L3800. it is also having this same kind of issue.

Yesterday we changed the fuel filter, had great flow at the filter mount. We also changed the motor oil and filter, along with hydraulic filters and oil.
I will check radiator and air filter right now.
Don't know if there are other things or any thing different for a L3800.

Thank You , MRT.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Clean the screen in front of the radiator and blow or wash the exterior of the radiator fins from the back side to the front. Replace radiator cap. Cheap and easy.

Whistle won’t work if cap is bad, not enough pressure.

MRTSRT8

Equipment
CL400, L3800 HST
Jul 29, 2021
Horatio AR
Ok Friends, Thanks for the shared advice.
I didn't stall out after the things I did yester day after noon. I did lose power due to a heavy work load. I believe. The temp in the sun was 100 degrees plus.

I did not mean to highjack this thread by any means.

I need quick answers to a problem I was having and found the answer w/in a hour.
thank you all. MT.T

Iowal245dt

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Jul 28, 2021
Iowa
QUICK UPDATE: I tried loosening the gas cap, unfortunately no effect. I noticed it is not vented, the same problem persists even when vented.
I tried to blow out debris from the back of the radiator, but a lot of stuff (fan and cowling) prevented me from doing a good job, so I'll remove radiator to ensure its clean and not clogged.
I have ordered a new fuel & air filter to be sure.
I'll post back as troubleshooting continues.
Thanks again as I follow up with more of your helpful recommendations!