Cautioning your Family about Operations

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m married to a bright lady but who unknowingly set us up for a problem this last weekend.

I was spreading gravel and backdragging it with the bucket while the wife was grocery-shopping. I had my back toward the front gate and, wondering when she’d return, if she’d like the way I‘d repaired the gravel driveway. I only momentarily thought about her pulling in behind me as I went fwd-and-back …but figured it’d be pretty obvious to her what was going on because there’s a 1/4 mile straight approach to the house where I was working.

Anyway, after awhile, I moved forward to place the bucket beyond the little pile of gravel and was backing up dragging the gravel with the bucket when I suddenly felt the tractor abruptly stopping. I turned in my seat and saw where I’d backed the finish-mower on the 3-pt right into the grille of my wifes’ Toyota Sienna.
$@%#$##!!$%

She had driven up to a point about 10 feet behind me while I was moving forward towards our house…and it appeared to her I was heading for the house….when she saw me stop and drop the bucket onto the gravel. … So she stopped and held her position and panicked/frozen as I backed into her car. 😱

I yelled at her pretty angrily…then calmed down. What the HELL was she THINKING!!?? pulling-in behind me like that!!??

We had a little talk afterwards. I explained to her that I was repeatedly forward/backward and with a loud diesel couldn’t hear her pull up. She explained to me what she was thinking.
I asked her WHY she didn’t blow her horn when she saw me backing…. and she said that she’s never blown that horn in the 2 years she’s had that new car….and didn’t think about it as she was frozen-in-horror as she observed me backing into her.

I’m telling this story so everyone will remember to BRIEF YOUR FAMILY about pulling up behind ANYONE operating equipment…. tractors, dozers, Zero-turn-mowers, riding lawn mowers, etc etc.
There was a kid in the next town who bled to death before the ambulance could get to him despite his horrified parents best efforts to stop the bleeding. His Dad was on the riding-mower and supper was ready…and the kid ran up behind Dad just as Dad reversed the mower without looking-back.

WARN YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS.

I already knew about this hazard and thought I was operating safely.
My wife and I were lucky. It was a plastic grill that popped right back out, but it was a learning experience. SHARE with others what you know. Hope this helps others.

Reactions: 12 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Great post, very true. I have a younger dog (pseudo family member) ....he hasn't yet learned to always stay far away from the tractor. It only takes 1 time and I will be the one in the dog house.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Good advice. Of course, the important thing to remember is that regardless of actual fault with the wife, it is always your fault. :D:D

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Good advice. Of course, the important thing to remember is that regardless of actual fault with the wife, it is always your fault. :D:D
Yep…. I never did ask her permission to buy a tractor. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
In addition, never walk up behind someone who is operating a machine tool, table saw, or the like. Always approach from their field of vision or wait until they stop what they are doing.

Reactions: 3 users

ultra97rider

Equipment
B2401
Jul 3, 2021
Blountville, Tn
Knew a little Girl that lost her arm because she was playing behind her grandfathers tractor while he was mowing. He did know she was there. Sad. Thanks for the post.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
Hopefully you get off easily. At our house this would not only be the cost of the car repairs but probably something shiny and sparkly and most likely in a teal blue box with a pretty bow on it. Best of luck to you. :)

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I was blowing a rather deep snow at my rental when the renter walked to the mailbox. He got the mail and proceeded to stand there in front of me and read it while I sat there with the equipment running at WOT and he was totally oblivious to the world. And he is allowed to vote.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I was blowing a rather deep snow at my rental when the renter walked to the mailbox. He got the mail and proceeded to stand there in front of me and read it while I sat there with the equipment running at WOT and he was totally oblivious to the world. And he is allowed to vote.
Why wasn't he covered in snow from your blower! Oops so sorry sir I didn't to see you there. Just a reminder to never stand or walk in front of heavy equipment as often times it is difficult for them to see you.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
He should be thankful you weren't mowing with a cycle bar mower!!

D

Deleted member 47704

In addition, never walk up behind someone who is operating a machine tool, table saw, or the like. Always approach from their field of vision or wait until they stop what they are doing.
Thats considerate of you too. We had a guy at work that would wait until I was running the surface grinder to run an air hammer.

A lot of Vo-Ag centers run a tractor driving course, many are open to the public where adults can learn safe tractor operation.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mounted some cheap golf cart rear view mirrors to my loader a week after the delivery of my nearly new b2601. I could see that or worse happening quite readily. Dog, kids, visiting teenagers ......It could have been much worse.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I put orange safety cones out to BLOCK driveways where I'm working, workss most of the time
one IDIOT drives around cone( lightly knocking it down thendrives INTO my 3F plow.....
sigh
good thing my plow was built better than his $$$$ car..he tore off the bumper, hehehe
yah jes can't fix STUPID.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I get that the operator's attention can be divided when backdragging with the bucket, and that one tends to get into a complacent rhythm going back and forth, but she followed you as you were driving forward, stopped when you stopped and then you backed into her. Yes she could have hit the horn and maybe you would have heard it over the tractor, but I'm not really seeing how it was in any way her fault.

I'm going to suggest you add a step to your routine: Have a look in the intended direction of travel before setting the machine in motion.

Reactions: 4 users

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
When I'm using my chainsaw, I warn evryone to never approach me from behind. Always in front where I can see them.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Why wasn't he covered in snow from your blower! Oops so sorry sir I didn't to see you there.
Since he was a very good renter, a rare and almost extinct species, I wanted to preserve him as long as possible.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good reminder.

When my wife decided she wanted to work with me on the property and drive the tractor some, we went over safe operation and safe interaction with equipment operators thoroughly and repetively. After many hours, thankfully, we’ve done pretty well so far. The process reminded me equipment safety and proper interaction with equipment operators is NOT intuitive.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Good warning Geohorn, reminds me of a story one of my counterparts told me about a construction incident. The asphalt roller operator backed over the owners son of a major construction company. The roller was taller than the son, so the operator didnt see him. The son, oblivious to the world, had his new air pods in his ears...

I always try to remind anyone in my family to give people towing plenty of space. I tow often, and have become somewhat of a tow snob. I try an educate anyone who will listen, about tow ratings, and correct tie downs. I am afraid most couldn't tell you the correct gvwr of their tow vehicle, much less what their tires are rated for.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
(Anyway, it sounds like you were the one in motion and he was the one stationary…. so the obligation to assure safe distance is yours?)

Maybe he was reading the Boating News. LOL

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha