Moving shipping container with tractor

May 25, 2021
IL
Hello I recently bought a 20' shipping container to store my new Kubota L2501 based on some advice I got at this forum. The shipping container was delivered however it is not in the spot that I ultimately want it in, it is basically dropped off near the road into my property. I'll need to move the container into the spot which is maybe a half mile across dirt roads. So far I've ordered a wheel kit that attaches to one end of the container along with heavy duty wheels strong enough to support the weight on one end. For the other end, I will have to fabricate something, I was thinking about creating a type of "sled" using couple 6x6 wood slabs. I have not tried much to lift the container with the 3 point, I believe it will lift one corner of it a few inches, so I'm not expecting to lift the entire end up, I would prefer to basically put the 6x6's underneath the other end, and just kind of secure that end using a chain to the container and set that end of the container on the wood slabs and drag that end with the tractor and a chain. The ends of the 6x6's will be cut at an angle, so that they slide across the ground more easily. Has anyone done something like this with their tractor? Any tips from anyone with experience moving shipping containers using their tractor would be appreciated. Thanks

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I can’t help other than wishing you good luck.

Any chance there is someone in the area with a larger tractor that could help? Might be worth the cost to pay someone for their help, if they can make a difficult move an easy one.

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Pay someone to move it with a flatbed/ rollback. 1/2 mile is LONG way with the rig your planning.

Reactions: 5 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Two tractors with forks, one in the front and one in the back. Just lift 'er up and spot it wherever you want.

I did.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I looked and a 20 ft is supposed to weigh 5000 lbs or so. I don’t know if that site was right or not.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
An empty 20 ft shipping container weighs close to 5000 pounds. This is to much weight to move as you described. If you have hills to transverse it is not wise at all. Did you buy the axle kit for the container? If so cancel it and pay the company that brought it to you to move the container.

Unless you can mount the axle near the center of the container and balance the load I doubt the L2501 will be able to drag the container. A larger tractor might be able to move the container. But by the time you buy the axle, timber and related materials it would seam to be cheaper to pay to have it moved.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Is there any danger of the shipping container falling or rolling off these roads and taking you and the tractor with it?

May 25, 2021
IL
Is there any danger of the shipping container falling or rolling off these roads and taking you and the tractor with it?
The risk of this is small. Its relatively flat and the wheels lock into place. The other end will never be more than a few inches off ground. Im going to try and attempt this this weekend and will update the post.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Why not pull the wheeled end?

How do you change direction?

Good luck.

May 25, 2021
IL
Why not pull the wheeled end?

How do you change direction?

Good luck.
I have thought of this but in practice I do not know if it is better or not. I think because without at least some of the lifting force of the 3 point, it might make it harder to drag.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was not present for it, but my neighbor & a buddy moved his 20ft container about 75ft one direction, turned it, and moved it another 30-40ft another direction.
They used two high lift jacks, (3) 12ft long, 6" diameter steel pipes, some chain, and a combo of his F250 and his B2150.
He said it took most of the day, and was tedious, but not difficult.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
The risk of this is small. Its relatively flat and the wheels lock into place. The other end will never be more than a few inches off ground. Im going to try and attempt this this weekend and will update the post.

Let us know how you made out, I'm curious myself.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I was not present for it, but my neighbor & a buddy moved his 20ft container about 75ft one direction, turned it, and moved it another 30-40ft another direction.
They used two high lift jacks, (3) 12ft long, 6" diameter steel pipes, some chain, and a combo of his F250 and his B2150.
He said it took most of the day, and was tedious, but not difficult.
I'm normally a "hole ma' beer 'n watch this" this kinda guy, but this is too dangerous for my blood.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As I said, I wasn't there for the move, but in retrospect, it did not seem too dangerous. They took their time, the ground was pool table flat, and there were plenty of trees to stop any "runaways". The box was only lifted high enough to get the pipes under it. They always had one of the vehicles chained to each end, so there was both pulling & braking at all times.

Mine was positioned pretty close to where I wanted it, but I (alone) used a highlift jack to reposition it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So far I've ordered a wheel kit that attaches to one end of the container along with heavy duty wheels strong enough to support the weight on one end.
What kit did you order? I want to put a 20ft container behind the garage and there's no way to do that using a truck so I'm planning on either buying or making something from an old camper axle. I'll need to move the container less than 50 yards but make a hard right turn to get it where I want it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
saw a guy do it, welded angle iron and vertical 'pins' to 'single wide trailer' axle,he had 'laying around out back...', pins went in corner holes of seacan. couple of chains/binder to keep it on. Chain on front ,from corner to corner, clevis in center for tractor 3ph ball.
you NEED to PLAN AHEAD though ! Be sure to figure out how to pull and turn, to get the door on the CORRECT end for access. don't wanna here,' it took me TWO tries to get it right'.....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha