B7100 Rear end question

Markben

Equipment
B7100
Oct 6, 2020
Washington
I noticed that with the wheels off and tractor jacked up, only the left rear wheel turns when I put it in gear. The right one turns only when I press the diff lock down. I had a seared off gear on the right wheel that I replaced (it's the one that holds the brake drum). Is there more damage in there that I didn't see?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
hold the left wheel from turning. the right side should turn even without engaging the diff lock.

IF holding the left doesn't get the right to turn, you have problems in the differential

Reactions: 1 user

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Probably no other damage. Everything is free to turn either way - brake drag and the oil film add up to favor one side a little. If you can affect the free spin by hand when there's no drive load its likely fine.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
In normal operation drive at the rear is an "either or" situation. You only get both wheels to drive if you depress the differential lock. With both wheels driving the tractor would mostly want to only go in a straight line.

Markben

Equipment
B7100
Oct 6, 2020
Washington
Thanks all, I was under the impression that open differentials with no load would spin both. Has anyone found that some of the after market brake shoes are oversized and don't like to fit into the drums?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Thanks all, I was under the impression that open differentials with no load would spin both. Has anyone found that some of the after market brake shoes are oversized and don't like to fit into the drums?

Some brake drums have a bit of a lip at the outer edge due to wear in the contact area.

Check that before making changes to the shoes.