broken transmission cover plate

tagair01

Equipment
bx1800
Jul 24, 2021
Street, MD
I recently bought a bx1800. the transmission filter stud (part of transmission front cover ) was broken off. I have it out of tractor. Wondering if I could drill and tap it out to replace a threaded stud for filter to screw onto. Any suggestions shy of buying new plate would be appreciated . Thank you

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Pics would help.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I recently bought a bx1800. the transmission filter stud (part of transmission front cover ) was broken off. I have it out of tractor. Wondering if I could drill and tap it out to replace a threaded stud for filter to screw onto. Any suggestions shy of buying new plate would be appreciated . Thank you
What material is that cover? Aluminum? Cast iron? Or?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
me too - pics?

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yes, that would be the method I would use if it was mine- but I have a machine shop & 36+ years of experience.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I saw this a couple years ago so hopefully this will help you fix yours.

Kubota makes a nipple for repairing this on BX models. p/n 15241-32290
The solution is to order a pipe joint from Kubota! The P/N is 15241-32290. One end is M18X1.5 and the other fits the hydraulic oil filter. Now for the nerve wracking part - Cut off the aluminum filter nipple as close as possible to the flange, I used a Dremil with a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel. Drill out the existing hole to 21/32". You drill it about 1" deep (mark the bit with tape), you will know when you are deep enough when you see the hole open into the oil cavity behind the nipple. The top of the hole will be into the cavity the bottom will have metal left over - this will be obvious as you drill. Remember to coat the bit with grease so you pull out most of the chips. It is critical to drill the hole as square as possible, too much of an angle and the filter will not sit square enough to seal. I eye balled it and it worked, no fancy tools required. You should now make sure that any remaining nipple is shaved off even with the back plane, I used a sharp wood chissel, works fine on aluminum. Next you tap the hole, I used a 4 flute tap. Once all the metal debris creating steps are done you should pull the caps off the oil filter chambers (allen head caps to the left of the filter). The upper one is 6mm the lower is 8mm allen - there is a spring behind the lower one), flush out with brake clean. Now screw in the Kubota nipple using high temperature red loktite on the threads. You can tighten the nipple using a 24mm socket. Screw on the new filter, fill with oil, modify the existing shield to encase the oil filter ( prevent anything from hitting it in the future) and you are done. I realize that pictures would really help this description but I was not thinking of posting this while I was doing the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Agree the write-up is great. At this website, there are diamonds laying around everywhere - in the members' experience. What I would do now is ask either tinkerwitheverything or Lil Foot if you could send your trans cover to one of them for the surgery. This job needs part prep, fixturing and near-perfect execution. Pay whatever they ask - you'll have saved a tractor with a great story to tell. :cool:

p.s. found an old pic on ebay
B1800 trans cover.jpg
Going by the new price K is pretty proud them !!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Agree the write-up is great. At this website, there are diamonds laying around everywhere - in the members' experience. What I would do now is ask either tinkerwitheverything or Lil Foot if you could send your trans cover to one of them for the surgery. This job needs part prep, fixturing and near-perfect execution. Pay whatever they ask - you'll have saved a tractor with a great story to tell. :cool:

p.s. found an old pic on ebay
View attachment 63611
Going by the new price K is pretty proud them !!
Gosh Dick, isn't that true.

You realize you're one of those "diamonds" laying around here as well.....right?!?!? :unsure: :geek: :cool:

I prompted for a photo also...I knew Bill would know how to fix it when he asked at first.

I'm not going to mention names, but there's a bunch of OTT members I would really like to see trying to help me if I was stumped.....

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
"...... I'm not going to mention names, but there's a bunch of OTT members I would really like to see trying to help me if I was stumped..... "

ditto - Dick B

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
ask either tinkerwitheverything or Lil Foot if you could send your trans cover to one of them for the surgery. This job needs part prep,
I can't take it on now, I am at this moment in my 1-2hrs per day I get to myself.
FIL is in home hospice and my wife is the primary caregiver, so in a couple hours I will be heading back over there with some food, meds, and some support stuff for my wife who will be staying overnight again there.
Sorry, I wish I could take the job on, if only as a distraction from the current situation.
I truly appreciative your confidence in me.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Yes, that would be the method I would use if it was mine- but I have a machine shop & 36+ years of experience.
I have actually done this repair on a BX2670 but I also have a complete machine shop and about the same years experience! That said, a local machine shop should be able to do this. It isn't really very hard and shouldn't take them very long.

tagair01

Equipment
bx1800
Jul 24, 2021
Street, MD
I saw this a couple years ago so hopefully this will help you fix yours.

Kubota makes a nipple for repairing this on BX models. p/n 15241-32290
The solution is to order a pipe joint from Kubota! The P/N is 15241-32290. One end is M18X1.5 and the other fits the hydraulic oil filter. Now for the nerve wracking part - Cut off the aluminum filter nipple as close as possible to the flange, I used a Dremil with a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel. Drill out the existing hole to 21/32". You drill it about 1" deep (mark the bit with tape), you will know when you are deep enough when you see the hole open into the oil cavity behind the nipple. The top of the hole will be into the cavity the bottom will have metal left over - this will be obvious as you drill. Remember to coat the bit with grease so you pull out most of the chips. It is critical to drill the hole as square as possible, too much of an angle and the filter will not sit square enough to seal. I eye balled it and it worked, no fancy tools required. You should now make sure that any remaining nipple is shaved off even with the back plane, I used a sharp wood chissel, works fine on aluminum. Next you tap the hole, I used a 4 flute tap. Once all the metal debris creating steps are done you should pull the caps off the oil filter chambers (allen head caps to the left of the filter). The upper one is 6mm the lower is 8mm allen - there is a spring behind the lower one), flush out with brake clean. Now screw in the Kubota nipple using high temperature red loktite on the threads. You can tighten the nipple using a 24mm socket. Screw on the new filter, fill with oil, modify the existing shield to encase the oil filter ( prevent anything from hitting it in the future) and you are done. I realize that pictures would really help this description but I was not thinking of posting this while I was doing the job.
Thank you very much. Perfect

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You can’t find this sort of info just anywhere. Great read and example of brotherly love abounds in this thread.
Lil Foot… BTDT…. hang in there and BW’s to you and your better-half. (Careful how much you say on the net. There are 1000’s of ID-theivery going-on these days...the latest news is that Covid deceased ID’s by the 1000’s have been stolen simply from info found on the net.)

Rio37

Equipment
BX23
May 31, 2022
PITTSBURGH
I recently broke the filter stub as well and was curious if anyone has completed the fix using part 15241-32290? I took my BX to the local dealer and they want to replace the cover plate and all in looking at about $3K. They said the part was not for the transmission filter and would not attempt it. Curious if this has been successful on a BX. Thanks