Removing bonnet from LT 295 dt

samuelwestern

Equipment
LT 295 dt
Jul 22, 2021
Sheridan, WY
In the process of installing a new steering column and box on my 295 dt. I cannot, however, figure out how to remove the "bonnet" as it's called in the manual, that sits atop the gas tank. There are some bolts or fasteners somewhere on the bottom. Can't find 'em. Any suggestions?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On my smaller L185 there are 4 bolts total about half way down the gas tank height. (2 per side). They come up through the bottom so you have to bend over to see them. I think it is a bracket that is about 4 inches wide. On the hand throttle side, the vertical rod of the hand throttle passes by the joint and may have to be moved out of the way (if my memory is holding up).

You also have to remove the steering wheel to pick the bonnet over the column but I guess you’re having to do that for the replacement. There is a wire harness that disconnects the dash from the front harness on the left side, also near the bolts you need to remove. On mine the rear harness stays with the dash so you have to disconnect it from the tractor but it isn’t much work.

Reactions: 1 user

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I vaguely remember when taking the power steering unit off my L345 several things had to go - steering wheel, tach cable, instrument panel, wiring, tank - then fuel filter & throttle bracket, tank supports etc. some bolts hiding. Keep looking - you'll find them. I wasn't able to get the pitman arm off with the unit still on the tractor. Luckily on mine the arm could stay on for fixing the bottom seal. If yours is being transferred, getting force on it will go better with the box off the tractor. Good luck, Dick B

Attachments

Last edited: