Modifying a utility trailer to improve the towing experience.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A few weeks ago I towed my MX and rotary cutter to a friend"s place and the load felt heavy, really heavy. There was no doubt that the rear of the truck was sagging and some members in the "post photos of your tractor and trailer" thread suggested that I invest in a weight distributing hitch. I bought a Curt 15,000 lb model but soon realized that the jack was in the way. I had hand surgery about 3 weeks ago so it wasn't much fun grinding, cutting and hammering on the trailer but I got most of the project completed this weekend.

Here are a couple of photos showing how the truck was sitting with the tractor and trailer hooked up.

mx_trailer_02.jpg

mx_midsota_f250.jpg

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I realized that the jack needed to be inside the A frame the way it is on my PJ dump trailer in order for the trunnion bar to work. I figured I'd notch the center rectangular tube as shown with the hash marks below and weld the jack in place.

jack.jpg

jack_mod_01.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It took way too long and too much effort to get the plates separated from the jack and trailer but eventually I prevailed and then notched the center tube which has about a 3/16" wall thickness. I then got the jack trued up and welded all around. This installation is way stronger than the way it was, and now the jack is out of the way. I want to modify the spring-loaded foot handle so that it won't interfere with the trunnion bar when the jack is raised all the way up. Not a big deal but something that I'd prefer to do.

jack_mod_02.jpg

jack_mod_03.jpg

jack_mod_04.jpg

jack_mod_07.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Next up was modifying the hookup brackets for welding. I don't care for the generic bolt attachment method so I cut off the lower tabs and the 90 that wraps over the top flange of the c-channel on the trailer. I then welded the brackets in place all the way around. I have an extra set of brackets for the PJ dump trailer too.

jack_mod_06.jpg

jack_mod_05.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
ok, silly question, but did you try backing the tractor up maybe a foot, to see how the ride 'felt' ? The hog already needed flags( at least up here) , so another foot or 2 overhang wouldn't matter,
jes curious

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Finally, I installed the trunnion bars to test the fit. Tomorrow I need to find a flat area to complete the set up. I'll load up the tractor and cutter and then will determine if I need to angle the trunnion bars down more.

This project has turned out about as good as I could have hoped for and with any luck I'll be much happier hauling the tractor around. I'll try to get on a scale tomorrow to see how much the trailer/tractor/cutter weighs.

jack_mod_09.jpg

jack_mod_10.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
ok, silly question, but did you try backing the tractor up maybe a foot, to see how the ride 'felt' ? The hog already needed flags( at least up here) , so another foot or 2 overhang wouldn't matter,
jes curious

Fair question ... and the answer is no. I should pick up some flags for the cutter though. Not sure if they're required up here but it's good practice.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
For the record, I have a Class V Titan receiver bolted to the frame and that's what I tow from. The Ranch Hand bumper is rated for some ungodly load but I don't use it for towing. I would certainly prefer a gooseneck trailer but with the Snug Top and Decked system a gooseneck is not an option.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That’s some good looking upside down welding there. (Assuming you didn’t flip the trailer on its top to weld the bottom bead on the jack to frame joint.) Hope that solves your problem.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That mcmxl is clearly a professional welder is evident if one looks at ANY of his welds.

I wonder if you (mcmsl) might want to weld an extension on your trailer and avoid the whole “flag” business. In any case, putting some reflector-stickers on the aft end of your shredder might be a good idea and another might be to add some of those magnetic towing lights on the shredder such as Harbor Freight sells cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That’s some good looking upside down welding there. (Assuming you didn’t flip the trailer on its top to weld the bottom bead on the jack to frame joint.) Hope that solves your problem.

Thanks but overhead fillets are easy. Vertical up takes a lot of practice. i don't weld enough anymore to be competent at those.

The Curt hitch came with an anti-sway accessory. I'm going to weld the ball plate onto the outside of the frame rather than use the four self tapping screws it shipped with.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That mcmxl is clearly a professional welder is evident if one looks at ANY of his welds.

I wonder if you (mcmsl) might want to weld an extension on your trailer and avoid the whole “flag” business. In any case, putting some reflector-stickers on the aft end of your shredder might be a good idea and another might be to add some of those magnetic towing lights on the shredder such as Harbor Freight sells cheap.
Great suggestions .... thanks. I'll definitely look into reflective stickers and lights, but will have to think about extending the trailer.

I used to be a professional welder but changed careers in 1996. I used to be a really good welder with numerous certifications passed in order to be hired for specific projects. My last big project was the set for the movie "Waterworld".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Nice work. That hitch will make a big difference. You might want to run some flags on the mower. Around my area DOT doesn't like any thing hanging out the back of pickups or off the end of trailers without a flag.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks for all the kind comments and helpful suggestions. I'm surprised that no one has commented on the first photo where a hookup bracket can be seen welded to the frame. I absolutely despise having to undo something because I screwed up, but that's what happened last week.

In my haste to get the trailer ready to go over to my friend's place I modified a set of hookup brackets and welded them onto the frame only to discover that the moving part of the bracket made contact with the tool box and the locking pins wouldn't go in. Then I realized that the jack was in the way. Not my finest moment but I paid my dues by having to get those brackets off which was a bear!

I have plasma and welding machines and all manner of tools but I really need an oxyacetylene set. I bought a bunch of Victor cutting torches, one gauge and tips at a local auction but need hoses, a gauge and bottles. Plasma is good for cutting but not for gouging, but an oxyacetylene set with a gouging tip would have made fast work of the brackets.

I didn't show the back weld on the jack but here it is. Some of the welds were awkward to see and I had a molten steel drop fall into my ear canal on this one! Not a pretty weld but functional.

I have some gloss black paint and will cover the primer once I know that nothing needs to be changed.

jack_mod_11.jpg

jack_mod_12.jpg

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Vertical down. You’re cheating! Don’t worry, I do it all the time.;) Especially on thinner metal

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Nice looking mods. I think I'd be considering a 5th wheel trailer set up looking at your weight distribution and overhang on the back of the trailer. I'm pretty sure MTO would be pulling me over for load inspections every time they saw me.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Vertical down. You’re cheating! Don’t worry, I do it all the time.;) Especially on thinner metal
Ha! Ha! Yes I am. 😂 As I said earlier, I don't weld enough to be proficient at vertical up particularly when I'm not in a comfortable position and when the steel is "thin". The jack tube is .125" thick or thereabouts and undoubtedly I would have burned through it heading up hill.

For those that aren't familiar with welding theory, vertical up allows for significantly more penetration in the parent metal because the arc isn't having to fight gravity. In vertical down the molten puddle is constantly trying to submerge the arc.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Nice looking mods. I think I'd be considering a 5th wheel trailer set up looking at your weight distribution and overhang on the back of the trailer. I'm pretty sure MTO would be pulling me over for load inspections every time they saw me.
I've wondered if I'm missing something obvious such as loading the tractor and trailer in a different way. I could back onto the trailer and rest the loader on the ramps ..... maybe. I'd have to see if the cutter would fit that way but it would certainly change the tongue weight.

I'd probably opt for a gooseneck over a fifth wheel but neither are going to happen any time soon.