Treadle Pedal operates opposite

Tnkubotaguy

Equipment
Kubota 1700
Jun 27, 2021
Nashville
I got a B7100HST 4wd. I changed the transmission filter and fluid. Now the control operates in reverse when pushing down on the forward end and forward when i push down on the rear end. The only thing I can think of is the dealer gave me the wrong filter as nothing else was changed, no hoses removed and it worked normally before this, what did I do? I dont want to put the old filter back on as it's very dirty. Any ideas? Nobody else seems to ever have this problem. Any ideas?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Isn't this the swashplate stop bolt machine?

Do not put the old filter back on... not worth risking getting dirt in there. I will assure you that's not the problem.
NIW, lugbolt, or white tiger should be able to help you before too long.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I got a B7100HST 4wd. I changed the transmission filter and fluid. Now the control operates in reverse when pushing down on the forward end and forward when i push down on the rear end. The only thing I can think of is the dealer gave me the wrong filter as nothing else was changed, no hoses removed and it worked normally before this, what did I do? I dont want to put the old filter back on as it's very dirty. Any ideas? Nobody else seems to ever have this problem. Any ideas?
I have never heard of this situation ........... then again I never heard of tires spinning on rims on a BX!

SO anything is possible!

But the filter - assuming it is correct would not cause that - it is a one way flow device.

What fluid did you place in it?

Any way a linkage somehow came apart or anything under the peddles out of whack?

another crazy question ---- IF YOU hit reverse and it goes forward ....... does it move a "normal" forward speed or does it creep ?

Reactions: 1 user

Tnkubotaguy

Equipment
Kubota 1700
Jun 27, 2021
Nashville
Isn't this the swashplate stop bolt machine?

Do not put the old filter back on... not worth risking getting dirt in there. I will assure you that's not the problem.
NIW, lugbolt, or white tiger should be able to help you before too long.
Yes, this is the machine with that pesky stripped stop bolt. The hydraulics work fine, loader goes up and down, pto runs fine, just F&R work opposite.
I have never heard of this situation ........... then again I never heard of tires spinning on rims on a BX!

SO anything is possible!

But the filter - assuming it is correct would not cause that - it is a one way flow device.

What fluid did you place in it?

Any way a linkage somehow came apart or anything under the peddles out of whack?

another crazy question ---- IF YOU hit reverse and it goes forward ....... does it move a "normal" forward speed or does it creep ?
It moves at normal speed. I used kubota UTD and the filter installed is the correct filter. The filter on the machine originally was not the correct one but apparently did the job. There are no linkages to that pedal, just a shaft and I never removed the hydro unit or disconnected any lines to it. This one has me totally baffled.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If the motor reaction plate turned 180 degrees the tractor would operate in reverse. It is so long ago I had one of those apart I can't remember if there is a hole opposite that you could put that pin into!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If the motor reaction plate turned 180 degrees the tractor would operate in reverse. It is so long ago I had one of those apart I can't remember if there is a hole opposite that you could put that pin into!
Yes, the only way this can happen is if the motor reaction block is turned 180 deg. I do not believe that there is a second hole for the locating pin.
I have seen a couple of B7100's come in that the hydro reacted opposite to the pedal and found they had wallowed out the locating dowel pin hole in the case allowing the block to turn approximately 180 degrees.

Here is a breakdown of the hydro. I do not know if the OP has an Early or Late B7100, so I just used the Late. The Motor block is labeled C and the dowel pin is #160 in the pdf picture.

Attachments

Tnkubotaguy

Equipment
Kubota 1700
Jun 27, 2021
Nashville

Somebody else had the same problem. I asked if they ever resolved it.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Once upon a time my brother and I were playing on dad's tractor and seeing how steep of a hill (mound) it could climb. After a cough and sputter and started running poorly, we let it roll back to flat ground. Tried backing out and ended up going toward the mound again. Treadle was going backward. Tried killing the engine with the key and it wouldn't stop...
We managed to turn the engine around so it was running backward, and it started dieseling. We got it shut down with the e-stop button. Looked at each other for a bit, rather concerned, turned the key and everything was back to normal.

Moral of the story - I've once had a similar problem, but I assume your starter is still spinning in the correct direction, so it's not likely that your engine is running backwards. Plus, all your hydraulics, pto, etc work fine... You don't have the same problem we had.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Yes, the only way this can happen is if the motor reaction block is turned 180 deg. I do not believe that there is a second hole for the locating pin.
I have seen a couple of B7100's come in that the hydro reacted opposite to the pedal and found they had wallowed out the locating dowel pin hole in the case allowing the block to turn approximately 180 degrees.

Here is a breakdown of the hydro. I do not know if the OP has an Early or Late B7100, so I just used the Late. The Motor block is labeled C and the dowel pin is #160 in the pdf picture.
You might be able to turn that plate to the correct position by putting the tractor in high gear and carefully pushing it to turn the assembly. I'm not sure this will work but it certainly is worth a try!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes, this is the machine with that pesky stripped stop bolt. The hydraulics work fine, loader goes up and down, pto runs fine, just F&R work opposite.

It moves at normal speed. I used kubota UTD and the filter installed is the correct filter. The filter on the machine originally was not the correct one but apparently did the job. There are no linkages to that pedal, just a shaft and I never removed the hydro unit or disconnected any lines to it. This one has me totally baffled.
It would be nice if you updated that other thread, seeing that you got a lot of advice there...

Are you saying after you put the tractor back together, it worked fine? But then after you changed the transmission fluid and filter, it suddenly now works backwards?

Or that it has started working backwards after you put it back together with new transmission fluid and filter?

Seems like there would be a big difference between those two scenarios.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
You might be able to turn that plate to the correct position by putting the tractor in high gear and carefully pushing it to turn the assembly. I'm not sure this will work but it certainly is worth a try!
This is the residue of another thread where it was pointed out the WSM shows TWO versions of the HST in those models - Type I has a lock bolt for the fixed swash plate.
Type II has a drain plug nearby instead (hence the confusion) and has an internal pin 160 to hold the fixed swash plate from rotating. Tnkubotaguy's tractor has the Type I HST which has the lock bolt, but has no internal pin 160.

The WSM says after installing a new filter, run the engine at low rpm for a while before using the tractor. No reason given - but may be to clear air pockets in the HST?

Last edited:

Tnkubotaguy

Equipment
Kubota 1700
Jun 27, 2021
Nashville
Yes, I apologize for dual threads, I'm new at this.

Anyhow it ran fine before I removed the stop bolt thinking it was a drain plug. Anyhow, couldnt get the plug back in as didnt realize hole B was not lined up with hole A. Eventually was able to see hole B and got it aligned and inserted bolt, filled with new fluid and filter, started up tractor and treadle was reversed. So apparently removing the bolt did not flip the swash plate but did allow pin #160 to fall out and reaction plate inverted 180 degrees based on what others have written. Whats done is done, not a big deal, it's just a toy, now a backwards toy but still interesting and not like i'm gonna go jump off a bridge over it. I learned a lesson and I will more than likely come with a pedal design that turns the shaft the opposite direction when pushed. Any suggestions on that one?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thought I remembered a thread about reversing the direction of an HST pedal, but I could not find it.
Maybe I'm getting senile.
Maybe someone else will remember it.
Found these while searching:

Tnkubotaguy

Equipment
Kubota 1700
Jun 27, 2021
Nashville
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking of as I'm not a big treadle fan anyway, I like my cub cadet setup. Since this is my first tractor and I have no experience on it, it's not even that bad the way it is. I was driving it all around the yard today and I like it. So, I'm still hopeful there is an easy fix for this, I'm certainly not about to tear apart the HST. Once I design a double pedal setup, I'll post it and let everyone see how nice it turned out. I thank everyone who responded and helped me through this unfortunate incident, and next time I'm gonna read the whole manual before removing bolts I am not 100% sure of their function.

• Wow

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking of as I'm not a big treadle fan anyway, I like my cub cadet setup. Since this is my first tractor and I have no experience on it, it's not even that bad the way it is. I was driving it all around the yard today and I like it. So, I'm still hopeful there is an easy fix for this, I'm certainly not about to tear apart the HST. Once I design a double pedal setup, I'll post it and let everyone see how nice it turned out. I thank everyone who responded and helped me through this unfortunate incident, and next time I'm gonna read the whole manual before removing bolts I am not 100% sure of their function.
Regardless of your preferences your tractor is not operating the way it is supposed to. Something is broken and needs to he fixed.

Fan

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Yes, I apologize for dual threads, I'm new at this.

Anyhow it ran fine before I removed the stop bolt thinking it was a drain plug. Anyhow, couldnt get the plug back in as didnt realize hole B was not lined up with hole A. Eventually was able to see hole B and got it aligned and inserted bolt, filled with new fluid and filter, started up tractor and treadle was reversed. So apparently removing the bolt did not flip the swash plate but did allow pin #160 to fall out and reaction plate inverted 180 degrees based on what others have written. Whats done is done, not a big deal, it's just a toy, now a backwards toy but still interesting and not like i'm gonna go jump off a bridge over it. I learned a lesson and I will more than likely come with a pedal design that turns the shaft the opposite direction when pushed. Any suggestions on that one?
And now we get the "rest of the story" when all you did according to your original post was change the hydraulic fluid and filter.

Reactions: 2 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
And now we get the "rest of the story" when all you did according to your original post was change the hydraulic fluid and filter.
Agreed.(y)(y).. That's why I asked the question. We're all just wasting time without the proper information.

Tnkubotaguy

Equipment
Kubota 1700
Jun 27, 2021
Nashville
The only people that wasted their time were the people who had stupid comments, or unhelpful responses. I did not know at the time what happened as I thought all I did was change the filter and fluid, I learned from this site many things from many great knowledgeable people. I ended up getting a complete workshop manual, learned about the inner workings of a HST, learned how to make a taper on a bolt using my drill press, and got some great ideas on a mod for the treadle pedal. So maybe you wasted your time but thanks to the non-trolls on here, I learned a lot more about my machine than any dealer would tell me.
Have a great weekend to all.

Tnkubotaguy

Equipment
Kubota 1700
Jun 27, 2021
Nashville
Regardless of your preferences your tractor is not operating the way it is supposed to. Something is broken and needs to he fixed.

Fan
I agree something is broken, but it does not need to be fixed. I live in TN where we dont fix everything thats broken, if it runs and does everything it needs to do, I aint taking nothing apart in 90 heat and humidity to make it perfect as if I went to the Dr. every time something didnt work on me, I'd be a hypochondriac and broke.
As one of you who helped said "The cheapest thing on my tractor is me!" I loved that and repeated many times already.

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
I agree something is broken, but it does not need to be fixed. I live in TN where we dont fix everything thats broken, if it runs and does everything it needs to do, I aint taking nothing apart in 90 heat and humidity to make it perfect as if I went to the Dr. every time something didnt work on me, I'd be a hypochondriac and broke.
As one of you who helped said "The cheapest thing on my tractor is me!" I loved that and repeated many times already.
FWIW…Sincerely hope this tractor stays with you…in TN…for a long, long time, as the reversed function HST pedal is an accident waiting to happen. It’s like switching the function of brake and accelerator pedals in a vehicle or reversing the shift/throttle lever in a boat!

Hopefully… you, your family/friends, grandkids, dogs or anyone else unsuspecting doesn’t get injured due to this malfunctioned repair.

JMHO

Reactions: 3 users