whats a "charge pump" ??

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
long story short... a guy not too far from me has a nice B series 24hp with a a FEL....

he says he was told it had a charge pump leak.

what is this? is it something i can change? or is this a "split the tractor" type thing?

how much does this drop the value of a good tractor with 700ish hrs?

why did this one go bad?

spill da beans!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the charge pump feeds the hst with pressurized fluid. The hst needs it, for a lot of reasons but the main reason is to eliminate air pockets in the fluid-which increases the efficiency of the hst dramatically. They hate air in the fluid.

With that said on a B2400/B1700 the charge pump sits on the front of the transmission. You can't get to it without splitting the tractor, e.g., removing the transmission from the main frame. Pretty involved job. Well it ain't that bad but it's certainly more work than I want to do. B21's are the same way but they have more stuff in the way. A lot more.

if the charge pump is failed, there's very good possibility that there is other transmission damage. You won't know until you either get more information, OR the transmission is removed/disassembled for inspection. If in fact the hst is damaged along with the charge pump, it can get really expensive to fix. If it's just leaking, it could be a simple o-ring on the inlet pipe at the bottom which is a $5.00 part and takes about an hour to replace, OR it could be a totally failed charge pump and we have an idea where that could end up. You won't know until you can look at the tractor and isolate the source of any leaks. Hope it's at the pipe on the bottom of the pump case that would be real easy. Might have to replace the pipe and o-ring and be back in business.

-this is all assuming it's a b1700 or b2400. Or perhaps a B2320 or B2620 but BX series are completely different tractors. I am referring only to the b1700/2400/2320/2620 in the above comments.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^^^ Thank you for your input. will give more details on whats "said" now.

YES B2400.

owner says it goes forward & reverse in all ranges but wont climb an incline. He says FEL & 3 point work fine.

said he was "told" that it was a bad charge pump. (by a dealer?)

tractor looks clean & not beat up, never heard of this before.... BUT today alone on the board there are 2 threads about B2400's with hydro trouble.

is this a machine that is prone to failure? at only 700hrs?

he's at $6,500 now.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Lugbolt's post rings true here. Nobody knows what's wrong with it (or nobody is saying what they do know). There are different ways a charge pump can fail - it shouldn't be a guessing game - the owner should spend enough on discovery to honestly describe what he's selling. Failing that, I'd pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Lugbolt's post rings true here. Nobody knows what's wrong with it (or nobody is saying what they do know). There are different ways a charge pump can fail - it shouldn't be a guessing game - the owner should spend enough on discovery to honestly describe what he's selling. Failing that, I'd pass.
1000% pass on it unless you have money to burn. Spend it on something that you know what it will cost to repair.

Reactions: 1 user

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
fair enough.

& this is why i always ask you guys here when looking at used machines.

thanks & have learned something new to look for.

s

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah I been on both ends of the deal.

Bought equipment in the past that owner said was an easy fix, turned into a money pit. I still made money on all but one of them. That one, broke even and was so glad to see it go! But I've also bought equipment with it being sold as "it's gonna be expensive"--and it turns out to be cheap & easy. I like those.

I am sitting here looking at a bad boy ZT60", 27hp Kohler. Guy says it needs a transmission right side, leaks. He priced a transmission ($800 + tax and installation) and said he just bought a new mower instead. This old 2010 ZT is aging but still a good mower. Gave him $350 for it, runs, just won't pull on right side. If it is what I think it is, it's a $105 fix but I have to ASSume it's a failed transmission. Real similar to the OP's deal. Assume it needs everything and use that for bargaining power.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^^ these i know a little more about.

if it has that transaxle set up instead of just Hydro pumps? fix it cheap & dump it.

no substitute for an actual hydropump drive with those crappy transaxle set ups that badboy, JD, ferris & a couple others use. they fail all the time with no warning or real reason. just junk.