L3350/BF800 Loader Issues

lessNessman

Equipment
L3350
Jun 19, 2021
ledgedale, pa
Hello all, I am second owner (since 1994) of an L3350 with BF800 loader. Tractor and loader used mostly for pushing fill dirt, stone and gravel, snow removal. With the hour meter cable broke for a while, I'd estimate about 1000 hrs. on it, maybe a little less.

About 6 years ago, loader started struggling when raising up, whole frame would shake. I shut it down, called the local Kubota dealer. I was told to stop using the tractor immediately, and get it up to their shop. Was also told the problem was likely the pump and I was looking at an expensive repair bill in the thousands of dollars. I changed the filter twice back then, no improvement, didn't see anything obvious related to air leaks in suction hoses.

With not a lot of faith in the phone diagnosis and all nearby dealers owned by same ownership group, I let it sit up until now. Of course, problem hasn't gotten better with age, the other day I changed the fuel filter, topped off the tank, started right up. Loader still shakes going up, doesn't lower all the way down, not even to ground level, and the bucket doesn't roll back, it does roll out. 3 point hitch seems to operate as it should. After operating the loader up and down a few times, shut off and opened the oil fill cap, fluid is foamy. One last note, in order to get any bucket action, I had to remove the cover over the control valve so that the operating lever had more room to move up/down and side to side.

My question here I guess is whether or not all of these symptoms could be pump related as I was originally told by the dealer, or is this more of a loader control valve or other loader related problem? I thought about possibly disconnecting loader hydraulic lines as if I was removing the loader, see if the oil is still foamy after running for a while?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The three point hitch works on the same pump as the loader. You could try disconnecting and reconnecting the quick disconnects on the hydraulic lines. Sometimes one isn't quite seated and therefore doesn't seal correctly though it may not leak. You could also check to see if that model has a screen in the hydraulic fluid as well as the filter. Sometimes in some models there can be leaks in the suction line causing the entry of air into the system.

lessNessman

Equipment
L3350
Jun 19, 2021
ledgedale, pa
Thanks for your suggestions, I did try reseating the quick disconnects some time back no change. I do have the workshop manual, no mention of a screen, just filter and magnetic drain plug. Although I've never removed the loader, I've always been unsure of how to reconnect hoses after removal. The sticker on the side of the loader says "reconnect the hose remaining on the tractor to the upper hydraulic line with the quick coupler". There are three lines, two from the hydraulic outlet and a return line. My guess would be to loop the two lines from the hydraulic outlet and leave the return disconnected,, but I have very limited experience with this.

Looking at the online parts listing, loader control valve lists for about $1500, the shop manual for the BF800 has mostly theory of operation, there doesn't appear to be any option for rebuilding or repairing.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Check the simplest things first. How's the fluid level?

lessNessman

Equipment
L3350
Jun 19, 2021
ledgedale, pa
Fluid level is fine. I would say the loader was in a state of decline leading up to when this issue started. The loader control valve cover has a slot that the operating lever sits in, and with the cover on, moving the operating lever up and down or side to side within that slot produced very little movement on the loader. With cover off, I was able to move the control lever up/down and side to side beyond what was possible with cover on and get the loader to operate. That worked for a while, then the shaking started when raising the bucket.