Corrosion on Ignition Switch?

deeratemypumpkins

Equipment
L4330 HSTC
Jun 19, 2021
Illinois
I have an L4330 that is not even turning on now. It was fine yesterday. The battery voltage was just now measured at 12.7V. When I tried starting the engine this morning, the glow plug light turned on, then the whole dashboard went off. I turned the key again and the other dashboard lights came on, but not glow plug. It eventually degraded to the point that nothing at all happens when I turn the key. The battery still reads at 12.7V.

Is this likely a corroded switch, or something else? Anyone else see something like this before?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have an L4330 that is not even turning on now. It was fine yesterday. The battery voltage was just now measured at 12.7V. When I tried starting the engine this morning, the glow plug light turned on, then the whole dashboard went off. I turned the key again and the other dashboard lights came on, but not glow plug. It eventually degraded to the point that nothing at all happens when I turn the key. The battery still reads at 12.7V.

Is this likely a corroded switch, or something else? Anyone else see something like this before?
Clean the battery cable ends, at both the battery and where they are bolted to the frame and starter.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

one thing we have to remember - voltage is great, but it only tells a small portion of the story.
You could have a hair size wire from battery to starter and STILL measure 12+ volts - simply put, volts are HOW hard the electrons a pushed..... but to get thing hopping we need FLOW of electrons and voltage too. A small wire cannot handle the AMPS where the voltage seems fine -

my point is what Whitetiger mentioned - clean bright and tight .......... that way you still get you volts but now the amps have a smooth pathway to the starter. Clean every contact point - look carefully INSIDE the wire insulation too where you can.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
There is also the possibility your battery is defective. It is possible to have a surface charge of the correct voltage but enough internal resistance it won't run the starter. Measure the voltage while attempting to crank the engine. Oh, yeas, in any case clean the terminals as suggested above.

Reactions: 1 user