Buzzards=STIHL HT 131

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I was maintaining my trails cutting back trees and brush with my manually operated pole saw in the high heat and humidity earlier this week. There were several times I had to stop, soaked in perspiration wondering if I might die. I have never been 59 years old before and you never know. I don't mind dying but the thought of no-one finding me for a day was a problem. There are squadrons of turkey vultures in the area and the thought of them enjoying my tender eyeballs was too much. Today I bought a Stihl gas powered pole saw. The thing telescopes out to 11 ft. and has 1.9 hp. I bought it this morning and used it for a few hours this afternoon. Amazing. Should have bought one of these years ago. $659. The thin chain slices thru limbs super fast. Powerful and efficient. At 16 lbs its not for sissies. A tremendous time saver and orange to boot. I recommend the Stihl HT 131 highly.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
funny how older in age is benefitted by money spent on items we never needed in the past when younger!

And once item is bought the older experienced person says to himself..... " why didn't I buy this before!!"

Reactions: 4 users

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I have one just like that Jimmy....it is a Godsend for all the trimming I need to. Just today I sighted alot of work needed to be done with it....don't know how I lived without it...I agree...worth every penny!
Congrats on the new work saver.

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
I also have an older HT 131. Until this year, I only used itin its usual manner .... to cut low hanging branches on live trees. But we had a big windstorm this spring that took down a few big trees. A couple of the oaks were on the ground but the higher branches were wedged in nearby live trees.

Cutting up the trunk with a regular chainsaw would relieve the pressure on those "hangers" making it difficult to predict where they would fall once you cut one from the trunk. I used the pole saw to manicure each hanger, so when it severed from trunk it wouldn't fall in the wrong place (like on my head).

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Congratulations on that new Stihl !!! (y)

That pole saw is a wonderful addition but even with it, stay hydrated and take some shade breaks.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Congratulations on the new equipment. I have the older model, HT101 I believe it is. And I absolutely hate that thing! 15 min of cutting turns into a hour of me dragging branches!

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Congratulations on the new equipment. I have the older model, HT101 I believe it is. And I absolutely hate that thing! 15 min of cutting turns into a hour of me dragging branches!
The ratio I came up with is about 3 pick up truck loads of material, enough for a large bonfire for every hours worth of powered pole saw work. Its still a lot of work for sure but much faster. I have always loved a bonfire. My cuttings/bonfire location is a magical secluded spot along a large creek in the mountains. The prior inhabitants used to burn garbage and god knows what else in the spot. I had a neighbor with an excavating company come in and remove I believe he said 60 tons of junk maybe 3 years ago. Funny I am usually the only one there. For years my wife has been telling me to sell the 37 acre farm and for years I have adamantly refused. A local realtor thinks it has about doubled in value since I bought it almost 10 years ago. This recent news seems to have silenced the spouse. Tractors, bonfires ,stars, silence ,wandering bears and now a Stihl pole saw. What's not to love ? It surprises me how few people feel similarly attracted to "the woods".

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
The ratio I came up with is about 3 pick up truck beds of material, enough for a large bonfire for every hours worth of powered pole saw work. Its still a lot of work for sure but much faster.
Yes. And once everything is cut, it will be a long while till needed again. They are a great tool.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
The ratio I came up with is about 3 pick up truck loads of material, enough for a large bonfire for every hours worth of powered pole saw work. Its still a lot of work for sure but much faster. I have always loved a bonfire. My cuttings/bonfire location is a magical secluded spot along a large creek in the mountains. The prior inhabitants used to burn garbage and god knows what else in the spot. I had a neighbor with an excavating company come in and remove I believe he said 60 tons of junk maybe 3 years ago. Funny I am usually the only one there. For years my wife has been telling me to sell the 37 acre farm and for years I have adamantly refused. A local realtor thinks it has about doubled in value since I bought it almost 10 years ago. This recent news seems to have silenced the spouse. Tractors, bonfires ,stars, silence ,wandering bears and now a Stihl pole saw. What's not to love ? It surprises me how few people feel similarly attracted to "the woods".
I agree. Some like the beach, after about 3 days, I’m ready to come home. I much prefer the mountains and being in nature. I don’t have to do anything, just sit and listen.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Always loved my Stihl chainsaws. I still am irritated at myself for not spending the extra bucks on a Stihl pole saw. Saved $200 bucks by getting a (wont start a brand war) and have regretted it ever since. Every time I have to rip the carb apart or the chain jumps or something else goes wrong with this non-Stihl I kick myself.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I bought a Troybilt unit a few years ago. I have pole saw, tiller, shrub trimmer, weed eater, edger and leaf blower attachments for it. I probably use the pole saw attachment the most though.
It's a four cycle engine, so no messing around with mixing oil and gas.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Been giving mine a work out for the past few days. Waiting for a good rain so I can start burning the pile.
Purchased in 2005 and "Stihl" going strong. Wish I could say the same for me! The beast never seems to get any lighter, either. They sure make short work of tree trimming, but also make for one major workout. Seems I can't resist with a fully extended pole and reaching out overhead to get those last few branches that are always so tempting.
Stihl Pole Saw.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have a Stihl Ht 75 pole saw that is not actually mine, but I tend to keep it most of the time as my coworker lets me keep it and maintain it and I bring it to him when he needs it. That arrangement sounds weird, but he is the type of person that will run a saw without bar oil, run a dull chain till it absolutely won't cut at all. So, when he needs it, I touch up the chain with a file, oil and fuel it up and bring it to him. He is always tickled with how well it cuts.

But, I plan to buy a new one and give it back to him. I really don't like having other people's stuff anyway. I will still sharpen the chain for him though.

But yeah, like others said, you can do so much with one. The good thing now is I can cut a bunch of branches and then pick them up with the grapple and bring them straight to the burn pile.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I have the KM 131R Kombimotor with the pole saw, 3' extension, string trimmer and power scythe attachments. Love it!

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I have two saws one Stihl, one Husky and I have a Remington electric pole saw that I power with a Honda eu2000 from the back of the cart. It serves my purposes as I dont do a running ton limbing....BUT.... Like Matt Ellerbee I hate em all and for the exact same reason!!! Using them is work...sometimes hard work and the aftermath of using them is even worse!

NOW!! If I had a grapple for my old BX I'd love them all !

Last edited:
  • Haha

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have two saws one Stihl, one Husky and I have a Remington electric pole saw that I power with a Honda eu2000 from the back of the cart. It serves my purposes as I dont do a running ton limbing....BUT.... Like Matt Ellerbee I hate em all and for the exact same reason!!! Using them is work...sometimes hard work and the aftermath of using them is even worse!

NOW!! If I had a grapple for my old BX I'd love them all !
In economics that's called a compliment in consumption. The pole saw and the grapple.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Economics can call it what what ever it wants......I call it keeping me off a ladder with a chainsaw in my hand and from falling out in the heat from picking up and draggin crap to a burn pile !