Transmission rebuild quote

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I took my tractor to a local repair shop. Not a Kubota shop as there labor rate is almost double of my local shop. They said to fix my transmission problem they need to split the tranny and replace clutch and other stuff inside. I also need new tie rod ends, pivot arm is leaking. They gave me a rough quote of $8,000 for everything out the door. He said it would take him about a month or so to complete due to breaking it down and parts ordering. Does this price seem accurate? It's on a L35 tractor/backhoe with 1830 hours. Thanks

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I read through some of your old posts. I would take it to a good kubota service department and see what they say too.

doesn’t matter if their hourly rates are higher, if they know the machine better it might lead to a faster/better repair compared to someone who is less familiar.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Don't know what they're doing in detail

a clutch job is nowhere near 8 grand at a dealer not even at 125/hr.

and a month? That's a week's worth of work, if you work 8 hrs a day.

Ain't done one in a good while but they aren't that hard once the hoe and loader and subframe are all out of the way. At that point it's mostly just a regular grand L.

I did a complete HST replacement (not a rebuild) on a Grand L 30 before I left, $7200 with labor and a new clutch.

check with a kubota dealer. You might be surprised. Labor rate might be 2x but it may also take then half as much time. Ask the shop about guarantee. The bigger the job the more likelihood of a mistake and you want to know that the shop will stand behind the work if there is a problem. Parts warranty is also in question and what kind of parts is the shop going to use? Kubota dealer is going to use OE parts, and that's what you ideally want. That or take the chance of off-brand stuff breaking inside a transmission so you get to pay to do it again. On an old tractor such as an L35 I would seriously consider these things.

Reactions: 1 users

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Not a kubota but as we post I have a new Holland in half waiting on hydrostatic rebuild the shop which is very reputable in my area gave a estimate of 1100 for complete rebuild. As stated once we removed the loader and hoe it was no problem and total bill will be nowhere near 8000.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yikes...less than 2000 hrs and the tranny has 'problems' ! THAT is scary. I've got 500 on my 3yr old BX23S,so what happened to Kuboto's reliabilty when yours was made ?How does a tierod end wear out in that time ?
I'd remove the loader and BH, and anything else 'in the way'before hauling to dealer to have the work done.Take lots of pictures so you can reassemble though !Splitting the tractor shouldn't take 3-4 hrs, less if there's 2 guys and awhole shop full of tools. I spllt my D-14 twice in one afternoon, me ONE guy...who'd never done it before. I have to assume that shop uses a 'book' to figure out times, like auto shops ? As for the month downtime, that's just nuts to me. A week, would be acceptable but 4 weeks ?? I assume they'll supply a 'rental' unit so you can keep farming ?

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
yikes...less than 2000 hrs and the tranny has 'problems' ! THAT is scary. I've got 500 on my 3yr old BX23S,so what happened to Kuboto's reliabilty when yours was made ?How does a tierod end wear out in that time ?
I'd remove the loader and BH, and anything else 'in the way'before hauling to dealer to have the work done.Take lots of pictures so you can reassemble though !Splitting the tractor shouldn't take 3-4 hrs, less if there's 2 guys and awhole shop full of tools. I spllt my D-14 twice in one afternoon, me ONE guy...who'd never done it before. I have to assume that shop uses a 'book' to figure out times, like auto shops ? As for the month downtime, that's just nuts to me. A week, would be acceptable but 4 weeks ?? I assume they'll supply a 'rental' unit so you can keep farming ?
I'm definitely going to take it to another place that's for sure. Yes the tie rods are junk. There's so much play and wiggle it's not even funny. I only took it there to get a estimate bc I was told they are really good with older tractors. I've told them I want OEM parts so hopefully they give me a detailed list.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Does this price seem accurate? It's on a L35 tractor/backhoe with 1830 hours. Thanks
It sounds pretty high, like it will be a slow-moving job in his shop he's just guessing at. A clutch is some wrenching but not a huge job (subframes are all separate pieces). From your other posts the glide-shift sounds like it needs external parts and adjustment - but nothing inside. I'd find a dealer who has experience with a GST, who isn't bidding high to cover his own inexperience.

Reactions: 1 users

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
It sounds pretty high, like it will be a slow-moving job in his shop he's just guessing at. A clutch is some wrenching but not a huge job (subframes are all separate pieces). From your other posts the glide-shift sounds like it needs external parts and adjustment - but nothing inside. I'd find a dealer who has experience with a GST, who isn't bidding high to cover his own inexperience.
That's exactly what I'm doing as we speak. Just loaded it up and headed to a place where ever dairy farm around me uses. I told him what was going on and he already suggested to check other things first before opening it up.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Not a kubota but as we post I have a new Holland in half waiting on hydrostatic rebuild the shop which is very reputable in my area gave a estimate of 1100 for complete rebuild. As stated once we removed the loader and hoe it was no problem and total bill will be nowhere near 8000.
That's exactly what I'm doing as we speak. Just loaded it up and headed to a place where ever dairy farm around me uses. I told him what was going on and he already suggested to check other things first before opening it up.
If it's a GST I would not go to a independent shop. You what someone that has experience with this transmission. Good luck.

Last edited:

tshields

Equipment
B26 TLB, Box Blade, Tree Puller, Grapple, PTO Wood Chipper, Auger
Apr 26, 2021
Lampe, MO
I took my tractor to a local repair shop. Not a Kubota shop as there labor rate is almost double of my local shop. They said to fix my transmission problem they need to split the tranny and replace clutch and other stuff inside. I also need new tie rod ends, pivot arm is leaking. They gave me a rough quote of $8,000 for everything out the door. He said it would take him about a month or so to complete due to breaking it down and parts ordering. Does this price seem accurate? It's on a L35 tractor/backhoe with 1830 hours. Thanks
I have a B26TLB with 1600 hours that when it gets hot the transmission starts to slip, I took it in to my local Kubota dealer and they quoted me $8000 to fix it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'd find a dealer who has experience with a GST,
If it's a GST I would not go to a independent shop. You what someone that has experience with this transmission. Good luck.
That's exactly what I'm doing as we speak.
Kingstrucking - -

You're new here at OTT. Came on few weeks ago.

rbargeron and 007kubotaguy had the same suggestion, and it sounds like you're following those suggestions. Good for you.

Those guys have forgotten more about Kubota Tractors than I'll ever know....they're both sharp cookies.

I just want to point out, as you may not be aware.

Their advice is to be highly regarded....not just whistlin' dixie behind a keyboard....

Like many tractor guys and gals here on OTT...they're outstanding in their field....:cool:

Last edited: