Box Blade Size for L3901 HST?

Outdrz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 525 Loader, 2060 Cutter, EA Toothbar, EA Box Blade, JD Disc and more
Feb 20, 2021
Ohio
The boss lady here at home just green-lighted the purchase of a new box blade for our new L3901.

I'm leaning toward the Everything Attachments "XTreme Duty" Box Blade - but am open to other manufacturers if you have any to suggest (or ones to avoid). Dont want any chinese junk...

This Box Blade is going to see action in curvy and uneven terrain as I fix old gas well roads and install new roads and creek crossings.

I'm wondering what size Box Blade to get? Am leaning toward the 66"... as I believe thats the same width as my FEL Bucket.

I have never run a box blade, and TBH, have no clue what size blade would be best - or what factors to consider regarding size.

Want the tractor to be able to handle it easily, and for it to be big enough to work well, without being SO BIG that I'm accidentally catching the corners all the time. Also want to be able to tilt it to dig in ditches - so am thinking wider than the rear tires is needed.

Thoughts on Box Blade size and brands welcomed... Thanks in advance!

Everything Attachments XTreme Duty Box Blade Link...

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Go with the 72" box blade, as your tractor will handle it just fine.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I like the 66" size based on your requirements. Tractor will handle it no problem and you'll be less likely to clip things with it when focusing forward.

Last edited:

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I just bought a BB2572 Landpride (6 foot) I found on the book of face and love it.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’d recommend no bigger than 72” and no smaller than 66”. There are a number of brands I would consider:
Woods
Bush Hog SBX range
Land Pride
Everything Attachments

I have a Bush Hog SBX 60 that I use on my L3200 or L3901 and a heavy Woods 84” That I use on my MX5800

if you are on open ground as you state I would go for the 72”. Other key consideration is weight of the unit, weight is important, the more typically the better, you will eventually run out of traction, it’s all a balance, you will soon work it out.

A lot of users recommend the use of hydraulic top and tilt. It sounds like you are doing this for money, I would seriously suggest that you consider a top and tilt set up. You need 2 sets of rear remotes to run top and tilt.

Everything Attachments make nice equipment and ships for free for a large area. I have many of their attachments. Their price may beat the other brands above as they directly versus the others who sell through dealers. I recommend you spend some time and review features and weights of each unit, good luck with your final selection.

I suggest that you spend some time on videos of box blade use to understand how to get the best out of using one.

Reactions: 1 user

Outdrz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 525 Loader, 2060 Cutter, EA Toothbar, EA Box Blade, JD Disc and more
Feb 20, 2021
Ohio
<Edited for length...>

I’d recommend no bigger than 72” and no smaller than 66”.

I have a Bush Hog SBX 60 that I use on my L3200 or L3901 and a heavy Woods 84” That I use on my MX5800

It sounds like you are doing this for money....

I suggest that you spend some time on videos of box blade use to understand how to get the best out of using one.
Not doing this for money... just working on my own land.

Thanks for the Top n Tilt suggestions. Only added one rear remote, so I'm thinking maybe a hydraulic top link, but that will depend on the cost.

Appreciated the brand suggestions. Heading off to look at that Bush Hog unit online.

The ground isn't terribly "open"... think heavily wooded, hilly, curvy and washed out old gas/logging roads - which is why I'm leaning toward a smaller unit. Dont want to slide into a rut and get a box blade corner hopelessly stuck.

Last edited:

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I just ordered a 72" box blade from Homestead Implements, American made, veteran discount, and looks very solid. For my L2501.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Whichever one you do end up with, be sure the box blade will be wide enough to cover your tracks, especially in the event that you later may decide to widen the stance in the rear with spacers. I added 3” spacers to the rear of my 3301 (same foot print as yours) and have the 66” version from EA on order. I’m on hills on roads in the woods and am loving my spacers. I just wish I would have gotten them before I went with 60” stuff like the box blade it came with.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I highly recommend a 65" ROBB (roll over box blade) A little more $$$$, but worth every penny IMO vs a std type box blade. I happen to have 3 of them (ROBB) A 36", 65" & 81" cat 2

The 65" is on the red tractor, basically the size of your L3901. A perfect fit IMO.(y)

Attachments