using tractor to pull a stuck car/truck/rv

James2021

Equipment
Kubota M9540
Jan 2, 2021
Oklahoma
I have a Kubota M9540 with a front end loader. just want to ask if i have to pull a stuck truck or rv out. Where do i hook up a chain to? where the strongest part to hook up to....

i always think i can look up to a front end load hay folk, will that cause any problem later down the road? what about the rear end? is there a spot there to hook and tow?

thanks

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
The drawbar in the rear. I assume that the fork ront is on a loader. You can tweak the loader pretty easily if you aren't careful.

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
be SURE you don't rip off the car's mufflers or do other damage !!! there's a reason you pay $$ for a tow truck..THEY have insurance for the damage THEY can do !!

Reactions: 1 users

James2021

Equipment
Kubota M9540
Jan 2, 2021
Oklahoma
Lol, we are in a wet pasture land or corn field, truck will get stuck...if u know what I mean.

be SURE you don't rip off the car's mufflers or do other damage !!! there's a reason you pay $$ for a tow truck..THEY have insurance for the damage THEY can do !!

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If you ever have to hook up to a car or truck be sure that you do not hook up to anything other than your drawbar. If you try hooking up to your loader, you can damage your loader but that would be the least of your worries. I have seen a tractor using the loader as the pulling point flip while pulling on a vehicle stuck in the snow. The tractor slipped sideways first, then the car started slipping, and the tractor went sideways and flipped faster than I could type here about the incident.

You don't ever want to pull anything from the rear on any point higher than your drawbar. If you do, you risk flipping over backwards.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Pull from drawbar, not the loader. Pulling from the loader is a good way to flip your tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pulling from the rear also means you have the lugs on your tires helping their maximum.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I hand the strap or chain to the owner and tell them to hook it up. If there is damage done they are the ones that caused it. I will advise them where to hook it but I will not do it.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
My ballast box is in the way of the drawbar so no pulling out for me. I'll go home and get the pickup truck and the wife to lay in the snow and hook up the tow strap!

IMG_2762 2.jpg

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I hand the strap or chain to the owner and tell them to hook it up. If there is damage done they are the ones that caused it. I will advise them where to hook it but I will not do it.
Excellent advise, however the OP has indicated he is asking about handling his own equipment.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm. just want to ask if i have to pull a stuck truck or rv out
Actually doesn't say who owns the vehicles..

You've assumed they're his, I'veassume the stuck vehicles aren't his
we also don't KNOW what size they are. 'rv' could be a converted van or a 40' monster !
Then there's the 'stuck' problem. Minor wallow or a big friggin ditch ? Any trees around ? Using chains ?
Break a grade70 chain and you're in for a LOT of trouble !!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I leave a heavy chain with a grab hook permanently attached to the drawbar of the tractor all the time.
It stays hooked to the backhoe when not in use, and even stays on with the box blade in place.

IMG_0028 4.11.39 PM copy.JPG
IMG_20140530_103723033_HDR copy.jpg
IMG_0022 4.11.40 PM copy.JPG
IMG_0027 copy.JPG

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I yank cars and trucks all the time in the winter from ditches around here when they visit the pucker bush on icy roads. Always a nylon snatch strap on the drawbar and THEY always hook it to THEIR vehicle, not me. That reduces the liability and I ALWAS charge them for the service, usually 50 bucks, up front, in cash or no pull. My M9 can pop a big truck easily with a nylon snatch strap.

• Dislike

fja

Equipment
L Series, BX 2680
Jan 25, 2021
Williamsburg
I would not tow anything from the front of any tractor. The rear is the recommended place (drawbar preferred) -- I also used this and they're easy to fabricate, but now rely more on wireless winches to move vehicles short distances -- the wireless on these winches (Smittybilt, Warn, etc) typically operate around 35'-50' so it gives you plenty of room to maneuver. Have also used pulley arrangements (as mechanical multipliers) to pull the really heavy stuff (e.g. stumps even my JD410E couldn't handle).

Tow Bar.jpg

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
One thing you can do with the bucket on the front. On a 4WD fill the bucket with ballast (a nice sand/salt mix is the perfect ballast), the added weight will give a lot more traction. If it is a loose mix ballast, you can also spread it on site if needed.

I have never charged anyone for getting them out. Fortunately, I have also never been charged by someone else helping me out. If they had AAA the call would have already been made.

The woman sitting in a dress in the car is the last person I would tell to "hook it up yourself so I can laugh when I rip your bumper off".

If it is a capable looking individual, and the back end is in water in the ditch, with a big smile I would say "you can get your end".

Seriously, if you cared enough to stop and help, just hook it up. If you are going through life afraid of lawyers beyond what your insurance covers, you should no be pulling people out of anything - IMO.

Reactions: 16 users

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Several years back when I was younger and had more time I had a very nicely modded 7.3L F-250 that would come to the office with me on crappy weather days. The office park entrance has a very long steep hill, all the fancy pants folks would be stuck on that hill with anything over 2" of snow in their BMW 3 and 5 series or non-AWD MBs etc. On a few occasions I stopped to offer help, many times a nice push from a few guys and some parting words about crappy all season tires was all it took, but a couple times I did bust out the tow strap and leveraged the 8800lb rig........my standard very clear words to the owners as I hand them their end of the strap......

"Attach this to whatever part of your car you want following me up the hill. If you attach it to your bumper, your bumper will be following me up that hill without your car. I suggest the frame or front tow hook."......

Back to tractors........clearly seems like draw bar is the way to go......

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A little thread drift, but my school bus turned around in my driveway.

One early-spring afternoon the driveway was icy and the bus slid off a little. 10-12 kids on the bus.

I went and got the ol' Minneapolis Moline and pulled it onto the driveway (with the drawbar). I was maybe 13 or 14. 5 minutes and the bus was back on the road...

Today, State Police Cars, a few ambulances, and the NTSB would have descended on "the scene."

Last edited:

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
A little thread drift, but my school bus turned around in my driveway.

One early-spring afternoon the driveway was icy and the bus slid off a little. 10-12 kids on the bus.

I went and got the ol' Minneapolis Moline and pulled it onto the driveway (with the drawbar). I was maybe 13 or 14. 5 minutes and the bus was back on the road...

Today, State Police Cars, a few ambulances, and the NTSB would have descended on "the scene."
My neighbor had to do the same. More than once. The bus driver routinely knocked down the orange posts I put in to show him where the ditch was. I told my daughter to mention to the driver that "Mr. XXXXX has cattle to feed if YYYYYY (driver) does that in my driveway we may need to plug the tractor in for a few hours before I start it".

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Years ago I snatched a CJ7 out of the ditch. Driver thought it was a snowmobile I guess. Told him to loop the trap to a tow hook, he hooked it around his tie rod...dumb. I yanked him out and he had severe wheel misalignment, so bad it had to be towed which is why they hook their own vehicle, not me.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Years ago I snatched a CJ7 out of the ditch. Driver thought it was a snowmobile I guess. Told him to loop the trap to a tow hook, he hooked it around his tie rod...dumb. I yanked him out and he had severe wheel misalignment, so bad it had to be towed which is why they hook their own vehicle, not me.
That’s a pretty good one. Once the winter warms up a bit here, my teenager is going to be getting lessons in towing. She bought a jeep. I’m going to drive it into the ditch at my house (it’s not too crazy but will be good for learning). Then we are going to pull it out with the truck. Plan on doing it both ways, front and back.

I used to operate a 25 ton 6x6 tow truck. So she is probably going to learn more than your average new driver.

as for pulling strangers out, my chains have been hooked to a few vehicles and a few times I have said no just because of the way the vehicle was stuck. Sometimes a winch is just better than chains.